ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Fred and others alike, DS2500

106 GTI
Fitted the DS's with brembo HC's yesterday, Had to grind down 1 pad to fit, Shims ARE removed.

Copper slipped the rear of the pads and about to regrease the sliders now. Im sure though that they are binding, I cant hear any noise but just as you roll to a stop you get the sudden stop as opposed to smooth.

Also noticed the brakes are hot and both disks have dis-colored

07082009159.jpg

Any hints tips? Should I grind all pads or is it because they are meatty and need wearing down slightly

106 GTI
did about 30 presses of the pedal for 4 seconds at about 60mph and 50% pressure as ferodo recomends

106 GTI
just put the wheel back on, spun it and it was free. Pumped the pedal and now its alot stiffer asif its stuck on

Get a feeler gauge and check there is about 0.7-1mm clearance/movement on each pad.

Pumping the brakes whilst the car is jacked up will always leave the wheel a bit "stiffer". The rolling forces when you are driving will free it up again.

106 GTI
Cheers for the reply pete

In the end I gave Fred a ring, I didnt grind enough off each pad so did that, but then sometimes it would get stiffer.
I copper slipped everywhere and still no joy.

I then turned my attention to the sliders, in a combination of cleaning then re-greasing etc They finally freed up a little better (whilst going through various stages of getting stiffer/softer). About 4 hours later and with the wheels on and off around 40 times they are now OK :)

106 GTI
Yup all sorted, it was weird. If you pump the pedal with the engine off it would spin slightly, but with the engine on it made it worse, almost to the point you couldnt turn it with your hand.