ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO: stubod ! !

FAO: stubod !!Hey there mate!

Had a quick glance over some of the topics in Clio - general discussion and noticed that u are indeed a fellow Mk 2 1.6 16valver !! It seems there arent many of us about. I was very interested to read that u had managed 133mph in ur car. Please tell me ur mods coz my car wont go over 115mph. Ive got 17s, chipped, green induction kit etc. What wrong with me car. It should at least do 122mph according to the book. Where u going down hill and have u still got those 14s the car comes with as standard?

Please get in touch for a chat mate email tim.lennox@virgin .net

Ps if anyone else knows why my car goes dead at 110mph+ in 5th gear Id love to hear your advice - its f$^&ing me of!!

Its becuase a its a small car! The original Clio 16v for example is easy to get up to 120 - but you could grow a beard in the time it takes to get to its max of 130.

If youre running 17s and the rolling radius (total size) of the wheels is bigger than your old wheels, then your speedo will be underestimating your speed. But, they tend to over-read anyway - so 130 means 120 (if that) on a standard car usually. Im therefore very sceptical of 133 out of a 1.6 16v car!

yeah i had a standard 1.6 rsi for a hire car when i smashed up my old 16v and it toped out at about 120mph and wouldnt go any faster then that.
mind you it only had 5k miles on the clock but got a good thrashing every day cause its so much slower then me 16v

Erm.. My car is completely standard (apart from a magic tree and Mobil 1 oil). Im now somewhat confused and suprised also.

Confused because I thought this was about right for a 1.6, as I know someone with a 1.4 16v fiesta that does !25, ive read on another forum a clio si (1.4 16v) with picture of speedo reading !25 . I very much doubt that the speedo is acurate in all cases, but I can say with absoulte certainty that my speedo was reading over !30 on a flat straight on this particular evening, my mate, who I was following confirmed this speed to be about right although he was pulling away at an impressive rate in his Beemer (that car is a weapon!) . One of the car salesmen said that his girlfriends RSI would do !35 mph so in actual fact I was quite dissapointed that I was short of this (even though I didnt believe him anyway). My old Nova with 60 odd bhp would wind up to !12 on a straight (the emphasis is on the word wind).

Im also suprised that some of the 172 owners have difficulty attaining top book speed as whilst in a mates astra one (MK1) kept along side us at over !40. Truth is these are scary speeds, Im sure every one here can relate to mad moments in their cars and its not something that I like to do very often or am proud of for that matter, especially having recently been witness to a nasty accident (a very sobering experience considering the modest amount of speed invlolved) I havent modified the car because I cant afford it right now especially after having bought the car outright. Id be interested to hear if you do find a problem with your car although the 17s probably have a lot to do with it!

Stu

Cheers Stu!

I think my car may have serious problems in the inlet manifold leak department! So Ill need to get that sorted hopefully and then retuned, the lot ! Ill keep u posted!

tim