ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FASTCHIP remap review - 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

Just for those that might be considering a Fastchip remap from Henk.

I had a little experience with Fastchip from when I mapped my 225 Trophy, which no doubt about it was well worth the money with gains being much more obvious being a turbo.

The 172 remap too has made a worthwhile difference. Certainly worth the £65 I paid (as mate already had the RS Tuner so I only needed to buy the unlock code and map).

Pros. first:
  • Noticeable improvement in idle, not so lumpy/up and down as the sports seem to be as standard. It raises the idle rpm maybe by 100-150rpm.
  • Cheap/quick to do, and you get the pleasure of doing it yourself.
  • Better running from cold - true, prior to the remap, when you put your foot to the floor in say 2nd gear from 200rpm to 3500rpm I used to get a bit of kickback when taking my foot off the throttle, and it was slightly juddery at points. Don't seem to have this now.
  • Car is definately more eager lower down the rev range, from 2-4k it's a good bit quicker. Does make for better daily driving. Prob is an improvement above this rpm too, it's just not so noticeable as the 172's are pretty gd higher up the revs as standard.
  • Increased rev limit from 7250 to around 7750- 7800 rpm. Seems to hold the power fairly well to the 7800 too. Obviously increases available top speed of each gear.
  • Launch control - nice talking point, normally more akin to newer/expensive performance cars. Whilst not really useable on winter roads, should be good fun on bone dry summer roads pulling away from a junction!
cons.
  • Only the one I can think of as yet, and some might see it as a pro anyway - but the Fastchip map is smoother than the standard 172 map and as such the slight surge in power at 5k rpm that I'd grown to like, has been smoothed out so that it's almost no longer felt.
All in all, a heads up for Fastchip - I recommend :cool:

Justin

Clio 182
Launch control???!!!
It keeps revs at 4300 to certain speed so you basicly start on full throttle and wait until you get that speed (don't know what speed is it, probably around 20mph??). Interesting function but i have normal cal and i'm pleased with it. And I was never fan of mapping on stock N/A engines but obvious it works here.

From Fastchip site:
This performance software version has a lowered 4300 rpm rev limiter and once you get moving at a certain speed, it enables the normal rev limiter again

Clio Sport Cup 172
Hi all,

Just for those that might be considering a Fastchip remap from Henk.

I had a little experience with Fastchip from when I mapped my 225 Trophy, which no doubt about it was well worth the money with gains being much more obvious being a turbo.

The 172 remap too has made a worthwhile difference. Certainly worth the £65 I paid (as mate already had the RS Tuner so I only needed to buy the unlock code and map).

Pros. first:
  • Noticeable improvement in idle, not so lumpy/up and down as the sports seem to be as standard. It raises the idle rpm maybe by 100-150rpm.
  • Cheap/quick to do, and you get the pleasure of doing it yourself.
  • Better running from cold - true, prior to the remap, when you put your foot to the floor in say 2nd gear from 200rpm to 3500rpm I used to get a bit of kickback when taking my foot off the throttle, and it was slightly juddery at points. Don't seem to have this now.
  • Car is definately more eager lower down the rev range, from 2-4k it's a good bit quicker. Does make for better daily driving. Prob is an improvement above this rpm too, it's just not so noticeable as the 172's are pretty gd higher up the revs as standard.
  • Increased rev limit from 7250 to around 7750- 7800 rpm. Seems to hold the power fairly well to the 7800 too. Obviously increases available top speed of each gear.
  • Launch control - nice talking point, normally more akin to newer/expensive performance cars. Whilst not really useable on winter roads, should be good fun on bone dry summer roads pulling away from a junction!
cons.
  • Only the one I can think of as yet, and some might see it as a pro anyway - but the Fastchip map is smoother than the standard 172 map and as such the slight surge in power at 5k rpm that I'd grown to like, has been smoothed out so that it's almost no longer felt.
All in all, a heads up for Fastchip - I recommend :cool:

Justin

Sounds brilliant, what mods do you have on your 172 and is this the RS Tuner Kit??

My car is standard, more or less, so wondered if its best to maybe modify then purchase the kit?

Thanks,
Tommy.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its worth while. Mine was standard, and i remapped it to basically smooth the idle, it works well. Get a second hand RS tuner off here, unlock it, then off you go