ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

faster with back seat out (incl instrns)

Yep, after having just re-installed the back seats and crossbar, the 172 drags a fair bit more. I used to be able to pop past other cars and now its all the more laboursome. I have no actual figures to provide. The cars rattles are lessened with the seats back in.

To take them out:
-remove pivoted boot shelf
-go into boot, push seats forward
-take off plastic cross bar protector.
-remove cross bar with 17mm wrench on the two bolts (apparently crossbar gives no structural rigidity)
-use straigh head screwdriver(get exact size) to unscrew central bolt (or ideally some star shaped head)
-unscrew at middle in between the two seats the two bolts with spanner, (for second bolt, sit in passenger section)
-take both back seats out
-keep all screws somewhere and replace two crossbar screws to stop water potentially spraying into cabin.
-Put back before going back to Renault otherwise might lose warranty

optional

-rotate seatbelt holder against metal and place rug or towels over the new large space.

-get yourself a sleeping mat and sleeping bag and go camping in the back

jus how heavy are the back seats? am toying wif the idea of changing to bucket seats for the fronts.... how much weight am i able to shave off for the 2 fronts??

didnt someone do this? stripped the non essentials out and weighed them, think it came to 28kg or i may be getting mixed up, do a search as its deffinately been done properly

172, Tiguan

Mine went back in last week, there is definatly a difference, though the car is a lot quieter.

They weigh more than you imagine.

The spare tyre could go as well, which is full sized in the 172. Although, on long trips that wouldnt be smart. The 182, according to the rep, have an inflation can rather than spare tyre to conserve weight.

My *guess* at the weights from heaviest would be:

1. spare tyre
2. Back rests without headrest
3. crossbar
4. Headrests
5. seat bottoms
6. tool kit