ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fastest 182/172

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Apparently once over 100 mph most speedos go pear shaped?

Wonder if this inlcudes the old Vaux digi dashs?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 14 May 2005
Roamer got 150 odd and it still had more to come - it did have throttle bodies tho...

/y0z

As he passed me. I was maxed out at 140mph on the clock and he was still going strong.....very strong.

172 GTR

Ive had a GPS 135 MPH, still had some left in her. But a truck had got lost and driven onto my private road.

140 on the speedo is 133 on my road angel.

Hit the rev limiter in 5th at 7000rpm which was I think 141/142mph gps - slight downhill though. Top speed of 137 is about right on the flat - speedo reading over 140

speedos read about 10% up all of the time, so when ur speedo reads 33 your actually doing 30, therefore at 110 on your clocks your doing 100.

Nippy white cup

Im sure someone did a test on his 172 with GPS and @ 100mph the gps was about 2mph off...not too bad really but as the speeds increase so does the speedo/gps difference.

Chris

Quote: Originally posted by theduckeatspork on 14 May 2005

speedos read about 10% up all of the time, so when ur speedo reads 33 your actually doing 30, therefore at 110 on your clocks your doing 100.
not quite right fella.

I have always thought this until I got gps. 30 on the speedo is 27 on the gps, 70 is 66, 100 is 95/96 and 140 is 133. This is in a 172 Cup.

I have found my run around car (P reg 1.0L Polo :oops:), to be even more accurate, only differing by about 1 or 2mph to the gps up to 70mph.

Quote: Originally posted by MAC30L on 14 May 2005

140 on the speedo is 133 on my road angel.

Hit the rev limiter in 5th at 7000rpm which was I think 141/142mph gps - slight downhill though. Top speed of 137 is about right on the flat - speedo reading over 140
Back to the topic subject, seen about 147ish mph on the speedo on a slight downhill then flat which was 141/142 gps. Cup is standard apart from full magnex and eibach pros. mailto:14.6@96mph">14.6@96mph, so it is fairly quick as well :D

clio 182 black /gold

My corsa was 5mph out on my gps ie 30 in car 25 on gps. I think the clio is about the same.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 14 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 14 May 2005Roamer got 150 odd and it still had more to come - it did have throttle bodies tho...

/y0z

As he passed me. I was maxed out at 140mph on the clock and he was still going strong.....very strong.

Yup, 148mph gps verified with fred and loads of crap in the car and it was still pulling like mad, the same when I passed Lee - it was fast, and its sadly missed :-( <sniff>

The 10% rule only really applies up until around 40mph. After that it decreases quite a bit.

I had 160 on clock and 152 on GPS so its no-where near a 10% error, more like 5% at higher speeds and 10% at slower speeds.

100mph would be 90mph for instance which is a lot of rubbish, no speedo over reads by this amount. Mines is 96mph @ 100 on speedo.

120mph was 115mph GPS which if you went by the 10% rule it would only be 108mph. Again a lot of rubbish!

But the 10% does work in the lower ranges, ie 40 =36mph etc

Remapped derv Golf

On them speed trap things - the red led signs my Cup speedo is virual bang on - where as my VTRs speedo was well out.

.......and Mitchy you dont have a 172 either. Knowones interested in youre jabbad beast!;)

Clio v6

I recall doing 143 in my MK1 172 more than it said in the brochure, but I guess not an accurate reading.

Obviously I cant mention the V6 as this is not the topic.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 14 May 2005

.......and Mitchy you dont have a 172 either. Knowones interested in youre jabbad beast!;)
Maybe not mate but Macs post suggests exactly the same thing with the clio.

Its a general rule for all speedos but it clearly is a lot of rubbish

It varies from car to car, as the above results show, only way to get true readings is to get a properly set up digital speedo.

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

ive had almost 150 on the clock following my brother in the tt and evo fq330, dont know what actual speed this was but felt like i should be slowing down

Surely if were talking UberAccuracy, then tyre pressure and wear have an effect, since the rolling radius differs?

For the record, Ive never been above 120 Clicks in my Cup (not tried), but I know a downhill runway where I saw an indicated 150+ behind the wheel of a Civic TypeR - before I bottled it - so Im guessing I should dial-in around 145 on the same r...unway.