ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FASTEST CLIO!

NOW THE BOARD HAS GOT A BIT QUIET IN THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS SO I THOUGHT ID POST A SIMPLE SLIGHTLY IMMATTURE THREAD!! LOL!

SO COME ON WHO RECKONS THEY HAVE FASTEST!?

(NOT THAT WE SHOULD DRIVE ANY OF OUR CARS OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AT ANY TIME OF COURSE!) ;)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Depends wether you mean fastest over 1/4 mile or fastest top end !

Whateven one you mean it isnt me !

well i was thinking me..... but then i come back to reality and remembered it was only 40mph speed limit here so.......count me out! :(

HOW ABOUT A TWIN ENGINNED CUP?!?! LIKE THE R5GT TURBO! ONE IN THE FRONT ONE IN THE BACK!!!!

HMMMMMM DROOOL!

well they should both hit the ground first i would have thought.....depends if you just dropped like a giant handful of feathers of the cliff..the wind would have some kind of effect there...surely...

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Bricks cause feather would have a larger surface area and their drag co-efficiency would be less ?

Theory sound plausible ?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

OK my theory is

The ton of bricks has a smaller surface area than a ton of feathers so the wind resistance would come into effect ! Yes/No ?

Audi S3

i agree with chavyboy the bricks would most likely have a higher terminal velocity as u would need a whole sh*te load of feathers!

then again it all depends on how they are aranged!

theres just loads of vairiables thatcould effect the outcome and thats just boring and cant be assed to list them all!

Matt

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Well it its something to talk about

VR6MAN when I say compressed feather I mean the air remove between each one in a bag etc.

dang!!! thats deep! you lot sure get into it!! :D

But i agree i reckon with surface area, the bricks will get there quicker, cos a ton of feathers will be a sh*tload, and will be huge! the bricks are smaller and heavier! less resistance! nuff said! (i think!)

yes compressed feathers in the bag as ud need a BIG bag for a ton of feathers un compressed :eek:

i still think theyd hit same time.

tons a ton! :)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

James put it like this. Throw a wooden plank out of a building which weighted a ton and then throw out a lead weight the size of 2 footballs. The surface area of the wooden plank is greater so it would encounter more wind resistance yes/no ?

mk2 172

well sir isaac stated that a body will maintain a state of rest or unform acceleration unless acted upon by an external force, in this case drag. this scenario. is where people confuse mass with weight

the force formula is f=ma so rearrange that to acceleration = force/mass

force being gravity and mass being the mass of either object.

craggy

mk2 172

think im on the rightish lines, i did finish this particular part of college a few years ago so im rusty, im gonna see if i can find out ..................

I remember seeing an experiment they did on the moon. That was to drop a hammer and a feather at the same time and from the same height. Both landed exactly at the same time. This was explained by the fact that the moon has no atmosphere and therefore the feather had no resistance or drag to overcome. So if you dropped a ton of bricks and a ton of feathers off a luna cliff they would land at the same time. On Earth the ton of bricks would land first as the ton of feathers would have a greater surface area for the same weight to cause drag.

Audi S3

Is that a ton of earth bricks and feathers or a tone of lunar brick and feathers that u r droping on the moon!:p

Also are u sure about the hammer feather thing because it doesnt add up to me as the gravity of the moon would effect the objects and the hammer would still weigh more thana feather on the moon and therefore fall faster!

Matt, when u see people jumping on the moon or in space.. they almost float, and land slowly, big of small doesnt matter about their size it seems, maybe same with the hammer and feather? :confused:

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by 16V_Matt on 30 October 2002

Also are u sure about the hammer feather thing because it doesnt add up to me as the gravity of the moon would effect the objects and the hammer would still weigh more thana feather on the moon and therefore fall faster!
I would agree with matt cause the moon still has gravity ! This is getting interesting isnt it ?

yeah but on the moon there is no gravity which is why you gotta be careful jumping around... youll just fly off....

also.. no wind resistance... so no drag....

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

This is gravity on the moon or as soon as you jump you would float into space which people dont. I have to agree no air though bit its still a feather and a hammer, unless the feather weighted the same as the hammer !

If there was no gravity on the moon the surface of the moon would float into space.

And isnt there a phsyics law about the mass of an object and gravity or something. Something like a large object creates gravity !