ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Favourite and worst upgrades??

RS 200 EDC Cup
What are your best and favourite upgrades? Or not... Inside, outside or underneath...

I have a list for the coming year, but want to keep it tasteful. Interested to know who's added what, are you happy or do you regret any upgrades that you've introduced to the car.

Reactions: Gus
  M2 Comp
Not sure whether it can be called an upgrade, but the best thing I've done to mine was the suspension and brake refresh. Made a massive difference to the way the car drives.

RS 200 EDC Cup
Not sure whether it can be called an upgrade, but the best thing I've done to mine was the suspension and brake refresh. Made a massive difference to the way the car drives.
Yeah it's amazing what a clean out and re-fresh of existing parts can do. Upgrade or not still a slight mod in my opinion. Perhaps others will disagree...

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I must have mod for very cheap money on the 1*2s is polybushing the doggone mount. Makes a big difference.

I can't personally comment on the same mod on new models as I've never experienced them but I read in @mossyv6 thread that doing it on the 200 makes a big difference too.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Favourite mod on the Clio: Vibratechnics engine mounts. Literally, the best thing I've ever done to modify any car. No more gearstick movement, no more engine trying to come through the bulk head, no more wheel hop.

Why any one replaces OEM mounts with new, s**t OEM mounts is beyond me.

Worst mod on the Clio: Poor choice of bucket seats, they were s**t Cobra things, should've just got Recaros or Corbeaus or something.

RS 200 EDC Cup
Favourite mod on the Clio: Vibratechnics engine mounts. Literally, the best thing I've ever done to modify any car. No more gearstick movement, no more engine trying to come through the bulk head, no more wheel hop.

Why any one replaces OEM mounts with new, s**t OEM mounts is beyond me.

Worst mod on the Clio: Poor choice of bucket seats, they were s**t Cobra things, should've just got Recaros or Corbeaus or something.

Do engine mounts suit certain cars? I'm only beginning to learn about this stuff so haven't got much that much knowledge as to their benefits. So for example as my Clio is a Mk4 with semi-auto gear box as opposed to a manual. Or are they better regardless?

Also, glad you mentioned poor bucket seats. I'm in the market now myself for a good set. Looking at Corbeau RRB or RRs as the cheaper option, but then really want to go Recaro Sportster CS or Sparco R600. Anyone any experience with these or thoughts?

RS 200 EDC Cup
For mine my plans are the following;
Exterior
Wider 17" Wheels with higher profile tyres
Clio Cup Aerofoil spoiler
Cup front carbon splitter
Interior
Upgraded seats
New finish on my steering wheel
Tuning
Got a new Supersports Catback exhaust from Ktech Racing (Lovely rumble off of it and lovely pops and burbles on the overrun)
Looking at a future upgrade of a new hybrid turbo from Engine Dynamics, which would bring it safely up to between 275 and 300 BHP. They're just putting the package together now and will begin testing this year.

Dont bother with 17s it'll look and feel s**t.

Had some great mods on my 182. Solid mounts, polybush all round. Miss that car

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Biggest difference of my mods (including coilovers) was the Whiteline RARB. It's transformed the handling on the limit, when it'd normally be understeering the car now digs in and the rear starts to rotate even when on the throttle. Next to no understeer, it's hilarious!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Good topic !!
My best mods on the 182 have been the turbo, yeah its expensive but to almost double the power is well worth it. Its a road car not a track car so not sure it would be that great for track. Vibratechnic mounts are also fairly good, mine didnt introduce vibrations either.
Worst mods - ages ago i fitted 406 coupe Brembos, they were f**king horrendous in every way.

Best mods on my 200 - Evol Black dogbone. I cant tell you how easy this is to replace on a 200, its a 5 minute job, even easier than on a 182. Rattles like hell fir a few weeks but settles nicely, well worth doing. Michelin Cup 2 tyres as daily tyres - perfect for a b road thrash.
No worst mods really on the 200, havent modified too much. If i had to say something it would be the Akrapovitch exhaust. Its way too tame and hardly makes any noise at all, the tail tips are gorgeous though.

For both cars and probably all cars I will own - Bilstein B14 coilovers, love love them, for normal roads they are perfect and a lovely upgrade to standard suspension. They are a little stiffer but still nicely compliant on poor roads.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Gtechniq G1 for the windscreen? Pilot Sport 4s?

Both improve a car immeasurably.

Don't for f**k sake put coilovers on. They ruined my 172.

RS 200 EDC Cup
Good topic !!
My best mods on the 182 have been the turbo, yeah its expensive but to almost double the power is well worth it. Its a road car not a track car so not sure it would be that great for track. Vibratechnic mounts are also fairly good, mine didnt introduce vibrations either.
Worst mods - ages ago i fitted 406 coupe Brembos, they were f**king horrendous in every way.

Best mods on my 200 - Evol Black dogbone. I cant tell you how easy this is to replace on a 200, its a 5 minute job, even easier than on a 182. Rattles like hell fir a few weeks but settles nicely, well worth doing. Michelin Cup 2 tyres as daily tyres - perfect for a b road thrash.
No worst mods really on the 200, havent modified too much. If i had to say something it would be the Akrapovitch exhaust. Its way too tame and hardly makes any noise at all, the tail tips are gorgeous though.

For both cars and probably all cars I will own - Bilstein B14 coilovers, love love them, for normal roads they are perfect and a lovely upgrade to standard suspension. They are a little stiffer but still nicely compliant on poor roads.
Yeah, good point on the Akrapovic exhaust, for the 200 anyway. Before the Mk 4 I was going for a 200, and wanted to put an exhaust straight on to it. Having looked and loads, there was no way I was putting an Akrapovic system on it. You're right... fur coat and no knickers! F**k the carbon, you want sound.

Favourite mod on the Clio is AST coilovers, just couldn't believe how much better they are over OE struts and lowering springs on track, I was as quick at Aintree last week in the wet than I was in the dry with OE struts and lowering springs.

Worst mod on the Clio, probably the decat. Nightmare to get sealed properly, no real power gains, cabin stinks of fuel and exhaust gases and dropped my MPG my 5 on track.

172 Cup
Good- Solid engine and gearboxes mounts and fastchip remap
Bad - polywindows and loud exhaust

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Do engine mounts suit certain cars? I'm only beginning to learn about this stuff so haven't got much that much knowledge as to their benefits. So for example as my Clio is a Mk4 with semi-auto gear box as opposed to a manual. Or are they better regardless?

Also, glad you mentioned poor bucket seats. I'm in the market now myself for a good set. Looking at Corbeau RRB or RRs as the cheaper option, but then really want to go Recaro Sportster CS or Sparco R600. Anyone any experience with these or thoughts?

The standard engine mounts on the 1*2 are terrible. I have no experience with regards to the MK4, you'd hope they learnt their lessons!

Buckets, yeah I think the one's I had were Monaco's or something, horrendous things.

RB Clio 182
Best - turbo conversion - fun factor, rapids!

Worst - turbo conversion - its been a money pit, but hopefully now it will treat me right.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Best - Brembo 4 pots, stopping power is awesome

Worse - well not the part or the result but fitting the inner power flex bushes to the front antiroll bar was so hard

Also worse that wasn't technically a mod was getting the cambelt changed for piece of mind when I brought the car. First time I used it it dropped a valve :confounded:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Best - many things, KW V2's, PMS Shifter, Diff, Roll Centre Kit, RS2 Inlet, Slicks, cage, seats, whiteline, basically everything I've done I've loved!lol!

Worst - painted the wheels green, looked cool for 3 minutes, bad plan

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Best - LSD, immediate and huge improvement in the corners
Worst - Brake ducts, complete waste of time/money

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Tbh I don’t miss the shifter. It’s great but I’m more than happy with the standard set up :)