ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FCS Red Dot Racing Rolling Road

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Who went on it and what did you get ?

Car:
172 Cup 2003

Mods:
Groupe_n Remap (Fastchip RSTuner)
Janspeed Decat
Custom Cat Back

I went on the rollers at motoscope.co.uk couple of months ago

Result

Max Power Fly: 184.5 bhp
Max Torque: 168.0 lbft

Thought this was a little to good so while at fcs went on the red dot rollers

Result

Max Power Fly: 174.1 bhp
Max Torque: 128.8 lbft

Spoke with the guy who said it was actualy pretty good as a std 172 never makes 172 std moe like 160ish spoke with a guy who had his cup on there also who got 160ish std

anyone else go on and what mods have you got etc?

Vern

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Didnt go on at FCS but for a comparison I had my car RR on a Dyno Dynamics rollers (these have a reputation for being the most accurate in the business) and mine standard made 164bhp which the operator said was bang on for a 172.

172 A Cupwork Orange™
yeh i thought the motoscope one was way high, im happy with the 174.1bhp

re-map and decat only providing 10BHP gains????? Is that right?

Unlike turbo'd/supercharged cars which can see gains in excess of 30-40bhp, it's normal to only see smaller gains from a normally aspirated car.

Engines with forced induction generally make their gains from upping the boost and increasing fuelling.

Hyundai i40
Didnt go on at FCS but for a comparison I had my car RR on a Dyno Dynamics rollers (these have a reputation for being the most accurate in the business) and mine standard made 164bhp which the operator said was bang on for a 172.

hmmmmmm, mine was 199.9 at Dyno Dynamics last year :S i think thats a wee bit out

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

hmmmmmm, mine was 199.9 at Dyno Dynamics last year :S i think thats a wee bit out

Just a bit :rasp: (Unless of course you have mega engine work done.)

1.8 Civic EX
172PS in the book not 172BHP

172 PS = 169.6 BHP
182 PS = 179.5 BHP

went to a rolling road day a few months back and all the 172s were pushing around the 160-161 mark which is the norm.

The cups were getting a little higher but that is also the norm for some reason or other..

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
mine standard made 164bhp which the operator said was bang on for a 172.

so why arent they called clio 164s?

See Below, Power is measured in PS by Renault

172 PS = 169.6 BHP
182 PS = 179.5 BHP

went to a rolling road day a few months back and all the 172s were pushing around the 160-161 mark which is the norm.

The cups were getting a little higher but that is also the norm for some reason or other..

Mine is a Cup :)

Williams 1
so why arent they called clio 164s?

See Below, Power is measured in PS by Renault

172 PS = 169.6 BHP
182 PS = 179.5 BHP

Mine is a Cup :)

is this why williams' piss all over clio 169s? cos they are really 160bhp and a weigh a s**t load more

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No it just proves that RR's are only good for before and after tuning.

Dyno room for the win.

Nippy white cup
I love how RR's are only considered accurate if the readings are low....if the readings are high then all of a sudden rr's are pointless!

Chris

1.8 Civic EX
I love how RR's are only considered accurate if the readings are low....if the readings are high then all of a sudden rr's are pointless!

Chris

lol I would say it's normally the other way round...ooh look I have 200BHP, thats the most accurate and everyone else is wrong! lol

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
The only reason Mine went on the rollers was for the Performance Tuner mag product test on induction kits which is out next month.

As above I think rollers are only any use for Mapping / before and after engine work to judge gains.

Nippy white cup
Exactly as Tom says....only way is to get before and after on the same day if possible...then you can see the gains at least

Chris

1.8 Civic EX
Exactly as Tom says....only way is to get before and after on the same day if possible...then you can see the gains at least

Chris

spot on...always go back to the same place to get a slightly more accurate reading in gains/losses

going to different places all over the shop is just pointless...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Chris

spot on...always go back to the same place to get a slightly more accurate reading in gains/losses

Exactly, you cant directly compare 1 set of rollers with another... The runs I did (19 in one day) were all done at Surrey Rolling road Service from Charlie down there was top Notch

172 FF
I was dissaopointed with my result, last year got 166hp and 124ft lb, since then i have had it mapped and various other things including cup racer airbox and sorted the blowing exhaust the timing was out and was sorted when i had the cam belt done so i though i would get loads. I then got 167.7 and 128ft lb however the talk lower down at peak was 20ft lb more for some time just didn't peak as much.

1.8 Civic EX

Exactly, you cant directly compare 1 set of rollers with another... The runs I did (19 in one day) were all done at Surrey Rolling road Service from Charlie down there was top Notch

thats where i went...good guy, want to go back as I've had the car played about it since..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=308239

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Luckily i dont plan on modding if i get the trophy, looked at a a3 3.2 v6 quattro first, no turbo charger and same modding issues. You spend £££££££ with little gain.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

thats where i went...good guy, want to go back as I've had the car played about it since..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=308239

Looks like it was a good day.... its a proper random little place! Charlie was saying it used to be an old Ammo testing bunker for the MOD :eek:

Am I right in thinking that Renault obtain their power/torque figures by dyno'ing a "reference" engine on a "rig" running the engine with out any ancilliaries connected, eg, air con, heater matrix, other bits that cause a drain on the electrical system etc, hence the slightly lower figures when cars are RR'd as they include these losses.