ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first dyno- feedback needed

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi guys,

Just went today for my first dyno test ever and the numbers came out pretty low:

IMG_6253_zpsb1d0b3de.jpg

Car is a 182 with the following power mods:

Milltek cat back with decat pipe
fastchip rs tuner remap
BMC CDA induction with silicone elbow
The IK setup is as bellow:
IMG_6247_zps788944f8.jpg

So it came out with 157 ps at the fly and with 141ps at the wheels
Obviously I was expecting more from it and the fly power seems a little low compared to the whp.
The car has about 75k right now, always run with 98 RON fuel, oil changed every 6k, cambelt and accessory belts were both done at 40k.
As far as I'm aware the car pulls ok, went against a 197 with remap and I was half a cars length ahead, also went with a R27 with KN apollo and the difference was even bigger. Same day there was also a std 197 which was the slowest of the group but not by much
So, judging from that (although the test was 2 years ago, but I had the same specs back then) the car seems ok.
I see that many UK RR's are dyno dynamics, this one was a Mustang dyno (mustangdyne.com) so have any of you any feedback on these?
Torque came out at 197nm as seen in the graph-this sounds closer to reality though..
The guy owning the dyno is well known around my place, he's in the tuning business for about 15 years or more, he also advised that I throw away the BMC and put back the std airbox with a K&N panel inside (so he seems to know some clio business), he also stated that all clios who came in got low readings -from 155-to 162ps with basic mods.
He than recommended to have a custom map on his rollers, and together with the std airbox he claimed to bring back some 10-15hp on my car.
Should I go for it or he's just trying to sell me his mapping?
Will appreciate any thoughts :)
Cheers!

Renault Clio182 bean
He could be trying to sell you his maps to be honest, RS tuner maps are supposed to be pretty good. Many 182's don't actually make 182bhp, although a good strong engine should see 170-180 IMO. If the timing is slightly out you can lose a fair chunk of bhp. Yet to get my 182 RR'd, hope im not disappointed lol.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Well I'm abot to get my second cambelt done these days, so I guesss in time the timing could go out. As I said the first time the belts were done at 38k to be more accurate but 5 years passed so maybe yeah, the timing may be slightly out who knows.
One more question though, I heard some rumours that you can alter a RR to give high or low readings, is this true? If so than yeah, he probably set it to read low just to sell his stuff later on

Renault Clio182 bean
Potentially yes, depends if he knows how to mess with the calibrations, as some company's RR's give very friendly results, where as others are less forgiving, not sure we will over know lmao. As for the timing belt, id recommend Fred@BTM all day long, hes a top bloke and will get the timing bang on first time.

Clio 172
I'd say the dyno is off, the torque and power lines should always cross at 5250rpm, the graph has them crossing at more like 5550rpm.

I'd say the dyno is off, the torque and power lines should always cross at 5250rpm, the graph has them crossing at more like 5550rpm.

???:S

OP its about 13-15bhp down compared to the average 182 power output.. Good Dyno setups the mustang imo ,viezu use them here in the uk.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
so bottom line those numbers look a bit odd. will see how it feels after the belt change

IMO, the way the torque curve nose dives at 5k in thinking the timing is out. The few I've had in with a curve like that has been due to the crank being locked in the wrong place.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
A friend in his 197 R27 just went today to the same dyno and he came up with 181 at the fly and 157 at the wheels, 197nm of torque- which is in the normal figures these cars get
His only mod is a KN Apollo ik, apart from that stock everywhere
Problem is that I'm ahead of him by a car's length on the road with my 157bhp...
Another C4 VTS with exhaust/induction mods and a remap wich pulls harder than his 197 only got 160 bhp at the fly on the same dyno
So is the owner messing with us or he's not aware that his machine isn't tuned properly?
Thx!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
car didn't slip on the dyno did it, if you get wheelspin it can throw the numbers all over the place. and tbh I'd take it with a pinch of salt, if in the real world car feels good then its probably fine and just a duff result on that day. you can usually tell if the timings out when you drive it as it'll feel flat and like it doesn't want to go. have you not got anyone local with same/similar car to compare to as well, rather than a 197?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I went against a modded seat altea, 2.0 diesel (140 bhp std) bigger turbo, exhaust and remap. He got 185 bhp at the fly and 167 at the wheels. With these numbers i would expect for him to be well ahead but on the road he's maybe one car ahead.
I'll probably go for a run with the 182 which came in the same day as I was and see how it is (he got 155 bhp at the fly....)
From what I've seen there was no wheelspin when my car was tested. Currently the car is in service for the cambelt change and will see if it feels better after