ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 rolling road result+ comparison

clio172 Audi TT3.2
Hi all, I have a 172 thats used for track, It has had no engine work done but has a re map by superchips, 182 manifold, de cat and magnex exhaust,
I was very supprised when it reached 202.3 bhp + 174.3 lbft torque on the rolling road, it was always quite quick compared to others on the track but
how does this compare to other members cars?? please let me know what power your getting and what you have done to get it.

thanks: Scrumpy ps: will be at cadwell park on the 17th feb, would like to meet any other sport owners who might be there.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
the rr is wrong. which rr was it? no way with those mods is your car over 200bhp.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I dunno, ph2 yeh, ph1's are always stronger in my experience.

A standard ph1 will run 155bhp on proper rollers. I was being generous for the manifold and exhaust for the OP.
I've done countless tests with people on here and the ph1 is the slowest in a straight line going through all the gears. The 182 pulls on the ph2 172 at top speeds. And I've seen these results a lot.

I must've had 3/4 strong ones then. Same rollers that mine did 200 I generally see 168+-2 on a ph1. A ph1 ran 173 here then ran 187 at ktec.. So they can't be generous rollers.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
With rollers the cars need to be done on the same day. I went on a CS rolling road day at rs tuning with 20 plus cars and ph1's were the least powerful. My own standard 182 ran 175bhp with ph1's from 155 to 165 for modified ones.

clio172 Audi TT3.2
I had it done at motorscope northallerton, they are reputable and keep their RR well callibrated... the bhp at the wheels was 162.6,. they used 4th gear for the test.
A guy i know who has rallied clio's for years told me the phase 1 had a better cylinder head and he would not use one from a phase 2... so this makes the phase 1 better??

I was expecting 190, like i say it is a happy little engine.

Scrumpy

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
That's your problem mate, motorscope is not well callibrated at all, it reads way out, even if it was reading 20bhp over it's still a very good result.

As kev says, we had plenty of plays back in the day in my old ph1, not sure if the timing was perfect on it but it went ok, kev's was a quick car but through the bends etc the difference in power isnt noticable, only in a straight line

Astra SRI/ Hornet
That's your problem mate, motorscope is not well callibrated at all, it reads way out, even if it was reading 20bhp over it's still a very good result.

As kev says, we had plenty of plays back in the day in my old ph1, not sure if the timing was perfect on it but it went ok, kev's was a quick car but through the bends etc the difference in power isnt noticable, only in a straight line

Bobby name change ; ).

clio172 Audi TT3.2
Richard who did the test at motorscope has had many clio's on the RR and compared to them mine was one of the best he's seen, also after i had it superchipped another worker there test drove it and said the same.!
Maybe i will get it on the RR again somewhere else, where do you recommend BlackGold.? you live not to far from me.

Scrumpy

172 cup
I would say that was well off the actual power. At Surrey RR which is well known some clios with cams and itb only just saw 200 bhp. There was a ph1 slightly modded that got 168 iirc and that was a very good result.

clio172 Audi TT3.2
I would say that was well off the actual power. At Surrey RR which is well known some clios with cams and itb only just saw 200 bhp. There was a ph1 slightly modded that got 168 iirc and that was a very good result.

Isnt 168bhp about standard for a 172ps ??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ over 200 from that, utterly no chance.

You wasted your money on the rolling road test Im afraid mate.

It really winds me up that people take money off of people to give them figures when the figures are pure rubbish.

Anyway, sounds like you are well happy with how the car drives, which is what matters.

Evo 5 RS
It's probably quite a strong one mind you, just no-where near that figure! If you told him it was superchipped prior to the run he probably thought he could take the piss a bit lol.

172 cup
Most 172 I've seen get around 164 and as said 168 if a good one. but like chip said no dig at you just annoying that company's are happy to produce figures like this to make money.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Hi all, I have a 172 thats used for track, It has had no engine work done but has a re map by superchips, 182 manifold, de cat and magnex exhaust,
I was very supprised when it reached 202.3 bhp + 174.3 lbft torque on the rolling road, it was always quite quick compared to others on the track but
how does this compare to other members cars?? please let me know what power your getting and what you have done to get it.

thanks: Scrumpy ps: will be at cadwell park on the 17th feb, would like to meet any other sport owners who might be there.

FPMSL!

Someone's pulling your plonka kidda.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
i ran a ph2 the other day, almost identical mods and it made 174bhp. You don't have a hope in hell of it being 202.

172, Tiguan
Ph1 head is better than ph2. I've always found the bog standard ph2 to be slowest. Cups always made better power.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ph1 head is better than ph2. I've always found the bog standard ph2 to be slowest. Cups always made better power.

Yeah the PH1 head is slightly different, the inlet side is the same, but the exhaust ports are bigger though.

But Ive seen quite a few cars make over 200bhp on standard ph2 exhaust ports, so I dont believe they are much of a restriction on a fairly standard engine.

Cups do seem to more commonly be the ones with the unusually high figures, I guess a tiny portion of it is down to less resistance on the aux side due to a simpler belt wrap and it turning less things etc, but even thats not enough to explain why they seem to be a little bit better, would be interesting to know the real reason as Ive never found any definite difference between the engines themself.

HBT 172 Cup
Yeah the PH1 head is slightly different, the inlet side is the same, but the exhaust ports are bigger though.

I've got a Ph1 head in the shed, the inlets do look a bit different IMO, they are a bit neater and better machined (by eye). Ill be using the ph1 head on my high boost build for the larger exhaust ports though :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've got a Ph1 head in the shed, the inlets do look a bit different IMO, they are a bit neater and better machined (by eye). Ill be using the ph1 head on my high boost build for the larger exhaust ports though :)
Seems little point in dropping the gas speed with bigger ports just before it then hits a restrictive turbo and manifold?
Cant see it doing anything other than possibly slow down spool a tiny tiny bit.

172, Tiguan
Back in 2002/3 when the Cups first rolled out the rumour was all the engines were hand picked! I'm not sure that's the case, but I agree with you, I think it's down to the aux setup and the RS inlets. Saying that though my 2 month old Cup with climate put out 173bhp when it was 2 months old. I've seen loads of Cups on rollers and they always do well, always, so maybe there is truth in those rumours after all!

My phase 1 has a Cup bottom end, ph1 top end, RS inlets and Cup aux setup. It's home built, timed up by an home mechanic (me) and has covered about 1000 miles since it went in the car. It's totally standard. I'm intrigued to see what it makes on the 9th at SRR. Probably 166! Lol

Back in 2002/3 when the Cups first rolled out the rumour was all the engines were hand picked! I'm not sure that's the case, but I agree with you, I think it's down to the aux setup and the RS inlets. Saying that though my 2 month old Cup with climate put out 173bhp when it was 2 months old. I've seen loads of Cups on rollers and they always do well, always, so maybe there is truth in those rumours after all!

This car is also the one i got 182bhp out off in November 2011 with the climate etc still in place

clio172 Audi TT3.2
My car still has the aircon pump.... is there an easy way to get rid of it without buying a kit for £400+ from Ktec..??