ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ferrari 458 Italia - 'Nero Black'

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Ferrari 458 Italia – Nero Black

A 562bhp weapon with only delivery miles on the clock.

Major Paint Correction Detail.

“A Major Correction on a car that is less than a month old?!” Yep, I’m afraid so.

The owner’s daily toy, the Ferrari California, I prepped July last year. At the time, all sorts of dealer inflicted defects were spotted. We weren’t impressed.

DSC_0025.jpg

Since then, I’ve seen many other bad examples of the dealerships’ prep work and so much so, it didn’t come as a big surprise to me when I saw the condition of the 458 in question.

Of course, any super-car from 10ft will look pretty special. It’s only when you get up close and personal with the correct lighting that you start to notice the dealer damage, flaws in the overall quality and blemishes that otherwise rob the true lustre and finish on the car.

Video highlights with some footage showing buffertrails and holograms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTsccjtZA-8

Vehicle on arrival.

DSC_0798.jpg

DSC_0800.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0807.jpg

What a stunning car.

First glimpse of the defects highlighted by the soft-morning sun.

DSC_0802.jpg

DSC_0808.jpg

DSC_0809.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg

It’s a warm day. The car is solid black and would be a pain to keep free of water spots throughout the wet work. Because of this, little time was spent with the camera in the wash and decontamination stages.

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

With the car correctly washed, contaminant free and dry, a few more defects were picked up:

DSC_0819.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

Manoeuvred inside and checked under artificial ‘forced’ lights:

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

The front end was in a right mess.

Some weird nasty staining/hazing on the corners:

DSC_0862.jpg

The usual holograms and swirls:

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

Some protective film that covers the car in the transportation stages had been missed – nice ‘pre delivery inspection’!

DSC_0994.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

But then some unfinished sanding marks surrounding the air vents (both sides)

DSC_0860.jpg

Bonnet defects:

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

DSC_0867.jpg

DSC_0868.jpg

DSC_0869.jpg

O/S rear quarter:

DSC_0875.jpg

Overspray and a masking mark spotted lower down on same panel:

DSC_0876.jpg

And then more funny staining/hazing on the edge of an arch.

DSC_0877.jpg

Plenty to get stuck into then.

First impressions when I’d begun my polishing set were, “hell, this paint is butter soft.” Every polishing set had to be exact; making two correctional passes with a mild polish and pad combination followed by a refining stage to leave a flawless, defect free finish. I can start to appreciate now how (and why) the Dealership made such a pig’s ear of it in the first place… The finish was extremely delicate.

Working conditions here aren’t great. See below:

DSC_0910.jpg

Squeezing down the side of a Ferrari F50. *gulp*

It was a case of do what I can at the front and rear of the car, finish the O/S and then take the car out, spin it round and repeat on the N/S.

Once machined properly, things started to shape up:

DSC_0912.jpg

50/50’s:

DSC_0879.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

Tricky areas on the C-Pillar:

DSC_0914.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0920.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

Bonnet – before:

DSC_0934.jpg

Bonnet – after:

DSC_0933.jpg

A bit of a 50/50:

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg
DSC_0936.jpg

The air intakes at the rear proved to be technically quite challenging! (Lots of contours and curves to follow)

Before/Afters:

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

DSC_0945.jpg

More funky patterns left by poor machine polishing on the rear end:

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0947.jpg

DSC_0953.jpg

458 span round and time to hit the N/S.

Front bumper – before/after:

DSC_0955.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

N/S covered in marks, too:

DSC_0959.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0961.jpg

Ooops. Whilst taping the N/S rear air-intake, much like the O/S, I noticed this little notch on the upper leading edge:

DSC_0965.jpg

Someone got a little too close here; scuff no doubt caused by backing plate of machine polisher. Right handed users, be warned – expect to find yourself in some real awkward positions!

Continued to tape > corrected > refined:

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

Other than the roofline, N/S complete:

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0970.jpg
DSC_0971.jpg

Sanding marks and swirls on rear end:

DSC_0974.jpg
DSC_0978.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0976.jpg

DSC_0980.jpg

DSC_0981.jpg

Lower down on bumper, more sanding marks!

Before/After:

DSC_0982.jpg

DSC_0983.jpg

DSC_0984.jpg

One thing I will say, is, if you’re to take on a nero black Ferrari, be sure to have PLENTY of fresh (new) microfibres and lots of IPA (isopropyl alcohol) as polish residues were a nightmare to fully remove.

Once the machine work was complete, the car was jetted down to remove dusting. Another thorough wipedown was made with IPA ensuring ALL traces of oils were removed and then later protected with Raceglaze’s Signature Series Black Label Concours wax.

The finishing touches (wipedowns, wax, dressings etc) had to be completed outside. What a nightmare. If it wasn’t the sun it was the wind & dust (open area with lots of fields) If it wasn’t the wind, ugh, it was the bugs:

DSC_1002.jpg

I lost count of how many of these midges I squished whilst buffing/wiping etc. Total pain! Having to check every inch of the paintwork before I made physical contact with a buffing towel.

With the glass, wheels, tyres and exhausts sorted, we were about there.

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0998.jpg

DSC_0999.jpg
DSC_1000.jpg

DSC_1003.jpg

DSC_1005.jpg

DSC_1007.jpg

DSC_1008.jpg
DSC_1009.jpg

DSC_1017.jpg

DSC_1015.jpg

DSC_1020.jpg

DSC_1018.jpg
DSC_1019.jpg

DSC_1021.jpg

DSC_1026.jpg

The following day (day 3), the California went through its maintenance protection detail (again, finished with Raceglaze black label)

DSC_1033.jpg

DSC_1035.jpg

DSC_1037.jpg

After which, the Italia was given a final wipedown to remove any gassing smears by the wax and jobs a good’un!

Correction levels:

DSC_1029.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

Remember, before/after:

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

16 hours later, the 458 was finished.

DSC_1010.jpg

A truly awesome car.

Thanks for reading,

Jim.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
You haven't seen the rest yet, Revels ;) (received your PM, thanks - will look into it and come back to you soon)

Thanks all

Clio 172
Stunning car and amazing work by yourself as usual. Totally shocked at the condition of that with only delivery miles

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
.....hope you're talking about the finish on the paintwork.

The owner will be going back to the dealers with my photo evidence on both the 458 and his Cali - interested to hear what they have to say!

Static Low
Amazing workmanship Jim.

You're clearly very good at what you do.
I appreciate it

Absolutly beautiful cars, just wish i could se more of the F50 :(

.....hope you're talking about the finish on the paintwork.

The owner will be going back to the dealers with my photo evidence on both the 458 and his Cali - interested to hear what they have to say!

I would be sending the pictures to Ferrari UK and Maranello tbh, pop a CV and portfolio in with the photos and Luca might invite you over ;)

172 Cup
Such an amazing machine, one of if not my favourite fezza ever, i love 458's!! great work on the detail dude, it looks soooo much better once finished :cool:

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks all.

I'm revisiting middle of next week for maintenance on the Porsche and then some light prep t'others. If it's fine (weather), he hopes to have all 5 Rari's on the lawn for a photoshoot. *Watch this space!* :D

Android, some F50 pics for you:

DSC08394wd.jpg

DSC08442wd.jpg

DSC08437wd.jpg

DSC08450wd.jpg
DSC08451wd.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Immense work Jim! As always of course! Still loving the Black Label? I looked into i recently although durability isn't high up my list so maybe some Z concours or another pot of Glasur.

Love how small the 458 "looks"! Right pocket rocket!

RB One Eight Two
I bet the owner was so pleased with the results, super work as always. A truly stunning looking car.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
thanks again all.

Immense work Jim! As always of course! Still loving the Black Label? I looked into i recently although durability isn't high up my list so maybe some Z concours or another pot of Glasur.

Love how small the 458 "looks"! Right pocket rocket!

BL is nice. Nice, but tricky! Not the easiest to work with to be honest.. still not got curing times nailed; will always require a wipedown sometime later to remove gassing smears and what not (but this is 2nd nature to me now anyway, so, not too much of an issue (so long as time allows))

5? What others does he have?

Not really in a position to say! :quiet: There's the Cali, the 355 and F50 that are photographed but the rest will have to remain secret.

Awesome work.

Although technically, the colour's just 'Nero'

Nero Black means Black Black. :eek:

Ha! Ferrari 459 Italia - black black.

Cheers buddy!

Jim, is this a Mr Hetherington by an chance?

'fraid not!

Cosworth Capri
Fantastic work, but how the hell can a dealer let a machine like that leave the showroom in such a mess??