ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few questions regarding performance & 172/182 differences

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Hi all, sorry if i'm asking a few questions that have already been asked before. I've done quite a bit of searching on the forum but am still slightly confused on a few things.

I have a ph1 172, and am looking at the best performance mods.

Are there any problems when fitting a 182 manifold other than having to change the cat to a decat/sports cat of some sort that allows you to use your 172 exhaust with the manifold.. or is it possible to simply fit a 182 exhaust after you've fitted a 182 manifold? I didn't think there were any chassis differences under the car, but if it were this simple and 182 exhausts don't seem to be mega expensive, why do people stick with the 172 system?

Also, what are the other differences between the 172 and 182? Is it then just the map?

Yozzasport/rstuning remaps - are these simply a chip as opposed to a remap? Because if it's just a base map i'm guessign if you've already fitted a 182 system/manifold/induction kit etc to your car you're not going to get your optimum gains? Confused!

Angelworks 'matched inlets' - whats the difference between the oe 172 inlet and the matched inlet? I saw someone mention gains of 9bhp?

Are the 182 injectors any different to the 172 injectors?

Last one! With all this done (182 manifold, decat, induction kit, whatever else ho9lds the 172 back from the 182, cleaned injectors and a remap) what sort of bhp should you be looking at getting from a rollingroad?

Many thanks to anyone that can help me out here :)
Ben

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
If you Fit a 182 manifold you will have to alter the 172 cat/decat to fit ect. You can not bolt a full 182 exhaust system straight on to a 172, because 172s have a spare wheel well (182s dont)

If you are going to do the above mods you will see best gains from a custom remap.

Had angel works matched inlets on our track car before going to ITBs they were very good i thought.

Picture020-1.jpg

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364943

As for what power you would see on a roller.............erm depends where you go.
Go to RStuning you will see similar to ours (standard PH1 make like 160 there)

Go to somewhere like motorscope you might see +190

Lionel Richie
basically performance wise in the real world they're identical

mechanically the only major difference is the exhaust manifold

PH1 172 Sport
I would bother changing the mainfold as its a big job for small gains.

Stock 4-1 manifold with give better top end bhp whereas the 182 will give better low/midrange bhp iirc

You can't fit a 182 system as the exhaust runs straight through where the 172's spare wheel well is.

Get matched inlets, decat and a remap. If you want more noise as well get a good induction setup and a stainless exaust system.

Are there any problems when fitting a 182 manifold other than having to change the cat to a decat/sports cat of some sort that allows you to use your 172 exhaust with the manifold.. or is it possible to simply fit a 182 exhaust after you've fitted a 182 manifold? I didn't think there were any chassis differences under the car, but if it were this simple and 182 exhausts don't seem to be mega expensive, why do people stick with the 172 system?

Also, what are the other differences between the 172 and 182? Is it then just the map?

Yozzasport/rstuning remaps - are these simply a chip as opposed to a remap? Because if it's just a base map i'm guessign if you've already fitted a 182 system/manifold/induction kit etc to your car you're not going to get your optimum gains? Confused!

Angelworks 'matched inlets' - whats the difference between the oe 172 inlet and the matched inlet? I saw someone mention gains of 9bhp?

Are the 182 injectors any different to the 172 injectors?

Last one! With all this done (182 manifold, decat, induction kit, whatever else ho9lds the 172 back from the 182, cleaned injectors and a remap) what sort of bhp should you be looking at getting from a rollingroad?
182 exhaust means you have to cut into the rear spare wheel well so not a good idea realy

172 to 182 is different intake manifold remap exhaust 4-2-1 manifold and exhaust injectors are the same

yozzza sport etc remaps are all just electronic remaps what they use should be tailed to the mods you have not a one fits all

manifold deisn can be perfected hence the angelworks work

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Cheers for all the info guys!

I would bother changing the mainfold as its a big job for small gains.

would it be worth doing though if getting a remap after? Or is it still not worth the money? What would the differences bhp wise after a remap between the 172 manifold and decat, and the 182 manifold and decat?

Bazzon - was that with a matched inlet and decat? And was that after a custom map or one of the rstuning maps?

Cheers again!

clio 172 cup
ktec sell replica exhaust for the 172 if thats wot ya after.
i really wouldnt bother with them mods more noise than anything else.
bhp increase= ITBS £3,000, turbo £6,000

Ph1
ktec sell replica exhaust for the 172 if thats wot ya after.
i really wouldnt bother with them mods more noise than anything else.
bhp increase= ITBS £3,000, turbo £6,000

Not quite as bad as 'just' noise lol but not 'big' gains no.

Defo makes a difference and if your doing more mods in the future very much worth doing from my experience.

Why not go K-tec link pipe? Will then make it so you dont require any welding

Folk get too hung up on figures, its not about figures its about the drive, torque gain, in gear acceleration etc etc

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not worth it. I've had a 182 and a ph1 172 (and ph2 lol). The ph1 feels slightly quicker than the 182, probably due to different gear ratios and lighter weight. I'd only go as far as matched inlets and a remap (rstuner is the cheapest way to get a custom map), and poss an exhaust. Wouldn't bother with a decat, ball-ache to switch come mot time.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Is the rstuner map the same as the yozzasport map? Yozza are literally 10mins from me.

Does the ph1 have a shorter ratio box than the ph2 and 182?

Is the rstuner map the same as the yozzasport map? Yozza are literally 10mins from me.

Does the ph1 have a shorter ratio box than the ph2 and 182?

longer ratios on the phase 1 box the phase 2 needed a shorter box to get the accelerations speeds the same as they have the same hp and more weight

rs and yozzasport maps won't be the same i don't think

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
RStuner is a product with a set map, to get a custom map you have to do runs in your car then send the map back and forth to henk in holland and he will map it.

Places like RStuning (leeds) or Yozza will map the car there and then on a set of rollers and fiddle with the sensors and settings to get a better power/curve

S1 16v 106 Rallye
How much is an rstuner map? I think a yozzasport map might be a bit more practical for me. Didn't know they had rollers.

How much shorter is the ph2 box? Could make a good upgrade.

How much is an rstuner map? I think a yozzasport map might be a bit more practical for me. Didn't know they had rollers.

How much shorter is the ph2 box? Could make a good upgrade.

Phase 1 car need to use a phase 1 or cup box as they need the speedo output hole in them

ratios arn't that much different if you want lower build a custom box