ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta ST to Clio 182?

Fiesta ST
Hi guys,

Im thinking about selling my Fiesta ST as I want something quicker and more nimble, the ST feels like a very heavy car. My first car was a 1.2 clio and ive been determined to get another one ever since.

I enjoy 'luxorious' feel to the fiesta, with the leather, air con and electronic computer etc but just wondered if a clio would be a good step forward, although these extras take the fun away abit. I have a potential buyer for the ST for 6300 and wondered if I could get a decent 182 for this.

I think id prefer the Cup version as its a bit lighter? with stiffer suspension but again, I like the extras that come with cars. Im abit torn if to get one or not. Would the best advice be to get one that has already had the cambelt change? And is there any real problems with the car.

I do not like the standard seats so a pair of buckets would be the first 'to do'. Would Cobra Imolas be a good pair to fit? and roughly what would the 2 seats and all the fitting equipment cost?

Thanks

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Cup packed 182 might be what your looking for (not a 182 cup). The suspension and extras that your after.

AK

M240i
If you're lucky you may find a 182 with cup packs & recaros..

But yeah a 182 with cup packs sounds like it would suit you..

Cobra Imolas are a good bucket seat to have. But the Recaros are pretty good too! For that money you could either get a mint 182, or a decent 182 Trophy, which has recaros standard.

Imo, I dont think theres too much different between the standard 182s and the cups, just less toys :)

Fiesta ST
I dont have the money for a montune upgrade, can only afford the Clio after selling the Fiesta.

I think perhaps the 182 with cup packs would be best then. Are the trophys hard to come by? I assume a 182 with cup pack would include the cup wheels as I prefer them. I was thinking get 6300 for the Fiesta and spend between 5500 and 6000 for the Clio and save for new seats. Where would harnesses bolt to if I kept my back seats etc, or are standard belts better. I dont really plan to track it.

Im abit put off by the French build, do they tend to go wrong often?

Black 197
With 6k you can buy a lot better car than a clio tbh...

not much help to you i know but tbh Renaults are pisch on build quality and they do suffer a fair amount of fauts.. I should have learnt my lesson from my 182 but bought a 197 and thats a nightmare too.. Last Frenchy for me thats for sure.. Gonna get me an R34 Skyline next year... Fast and reliable job done

Fiesta ST
Thats one thing im worried about being he build quality. Other than a 182 I was thinking of a Type R - what other cars are out there for 6k, baring in mind im 21 years old

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
all my renaultsports (4) have been fault free - i think i must have been lucky though!! my only complaint on the mechanics front, is the cost of bits like brakes, cambelt changes etc. Happy days other wise.

I have had a type r before, that actually broke! but again, prob 1 in a thousand. It was a great car otherwise, I would prob have another - they go very well.

Z4
Get a loan and get a mk1 focus rs, only an insurance group 16, won't loose much value. With a remap it will be keeping up with M3s.

Only a thought!

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I've had my 182 from new and so far no major problems, just a couple of electrical gremlins. I do give it death and mechanically it's stood up. Think if I was going to buy a 182 today I would just spend the extra and get a Trophy, Recaros as standard and it will hold it's value better, particuarly if you look after it.

If its a clio, the Trophy is probably the one to go for. Just dunno if you can get one on that budget?

They've come down a bit lately havent they? When I was looking for a 182, I could have got an alright trophy for £6k, but I went with a mint 182 :)

Mine's had nothing wrong with it so far. As long as you look after them, they'll look after your wallet :)

S3, Polo
I loved my 330 Sport.

Very cheap to run, on the whole. Hated 17mpg around town though! (32mpg on a run on cruise).

Only things to watch for:
- Front, rear wishbone bushes
- Door seals sag
- Non-Sport derivatives posing as Sports - A sport should have a BLACK interior with a BLACK roof lining!

had no issues at all with my 182 in over 2 years of ownership, but if i had a ST id be looking at the jamsport supercharger kit imho, there a cracking car the ST just lack alittle bit of poke!

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
I test drove an ST, it didnt feel much faster than my mk5 zetec S I had at the time.

The clio felt the same initially, except it came alive at 5k, where as the ST just stayed boring to the redline :D

Fiesta ST
If I could afford a montune kit I would get it lol. Surely a 182 woluld be alot quicker than a ST?

RS RIP
My 172 Cup will eat it and spit it out.. Especially when in curvy territotium . They are just too heavy and underpowered

Am I right in thinking that after a few years or 30k+ mileage the shocks on the Trophy will need stripping down and refurbing? I know of a couple people who have had to get this done (although one of them did it himself.) I imagine it would be best to factor this into the cost when looking at buying a Trophy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned ever iteration bar the 172 cup. My advice would be to get a late 172, then decent suspension (KW/H&R). You'll have a better car than a 182 for cheaper. The 172 has IMO a nicer colour range as well.
Do not pay the earth for a car with Recaro's. They are not worth the cash (I've had 2 Clio's with them). The driving position is still terrible with them.

A ANIMAL
Am I right in thinking that after a few years or 30k+ mileage the shocks on the Trophy will need stripping down and refurbing? I know of a couple people who have had to get this done (although one of them did it himself.) I imagine it would be best to factor this into the cost when looking at buying a Trophy.

its widely accepted they need a refurb, but there is not exact service interval - mines on 29.5k and the shocks are absolutley tip top.

Its only 250 for a full service on the shocks any way so not much in the lifetime of ther car

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Servicing Trophy shocks is no pricier than when the shocks on a 182 need replacing.