ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally test drove a 197...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trouble is CS is stuck in like a 2003 twilight zone. Its MK2 or nothing on here.

Its time to move on guys

So true LOL

I wonder who's going to be the new 'King Stromba', refusing to accept the current version may be better in certain areas than the outgoing/long gone model?

I used to see 40mpg in my 172 Cup. In my 200, I'm now regularly seeing 35-37mpg...all country A and B roads though.

H

HickiN

i drive round town mainly during the week in my clio and the trip says 19.4mpg... tbh i like the car enough to justify it + i bought the car as i liked it not to worry about the economy!!

on a drive home (Aberdeen - Newcastle) the highest i managed was 32.4mpg and that was driving at 65-75 constantly for around 4-4.5 hours and a gf sat in the passenger seat!!

buy the car cos you like it - not judged on mpg ;) (well thats my philosophy anyway)....

HickiN

Mk3 Megane 250
I roughly get 24 - 26mpg, if i wanted economy i would get a nasty tractor diesel. But instead i have a 197 and enjoy driving it, i wouldn't have got a hot hatch if i were concerned about MPG.

On track I had no problem keeping up with 1*2s and acceleration was on a par. Just got frustrated that I could not overtake on corners as the 197 is a much better car cornering wise. I had a 182 beforehand and did miss the go-kart handling but appreciate the comfort and build quality of the 197. Cup/R27 suspension can be harsh in town but open roads and on track it is perfect.

Turbo LY R27
IF its a town car, yes, they are poor.

I use mine on a 40 mile round commute of A/B roads. Currently showing 31mpg. Not the end of the world imo!

Im getting this out of my 182!! I dont get much worse in my 197, think the '40 mpg all day long brigade' must drive at 40 everywhere!! Never seen anymore than 35/36 in the 182 doing no more than 70 on a run, is mine broke lol!?

Civic Type R
Its more of a gearbox issue with me rather than the issue of MPG, but the performance didn't justify the 23 MPG someones mentioned... or the 19.4, that's shocking!!

I may just get my self another 182, maybe a trophy again, I need to make my mind up soon though.. No wheels at present!!

H

HickiN

Its more of a gearbox issue with me rather than the issue of MPG, but the performance didn't justify the 23 MPG someones mentioned... or the 19.4, that's shocking!!

I may just get my self another 182, maybe a trophy again, I need to make my mind up soon though.. No wheels at present!!

I don't think my driving helps the 19.4mpg tbh...... i am pretty sure i could get +4 on that ;) .... but like i say.... i didn't buy it for economy!

HickiN

White clique
TBH i dont beleive some of these low MPG figs, they are just posted up to a) discredit the 197, or b) make the poster sound like a driving hero.

I pretty much only ever used my 197 sat in traffic with a few blasts here and there and it never went below 28mpg

I reckon it will still be another couple of years before the 197 finally gets the recognition, when they are regularly available at under 4.5k.

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Ive recently just got a R27 Mpg's not bad between 20-30 but hey im 19 so im going to have a bit of fun, can anyone enlighten me to the gearbox issue im hereing about please?

320d
Ive recently just got a R27 Mpg's not bad between 20-30 but hey im 19 so im going to have a bit of fun, can anyone enlighten me to the gearbox issue im hereing about please?

Basically the gearboxes are going left right and centre in MK3's. Both 197's and 200's. The most common reported issue crunch at high revs between 3rd and 4th.

H

HickiN

TBH i dont beleive some of these low MPG figs, they are just posted up to a) discredit the 197, or b) make the poster sound like a driving hero.

I pretty much only ever used my 197 sat in traffic with a few blasts here and there and it never went below 28mpg

I reckon it will still be another couple of years before the 197 finally gets the recognition, when they are regularly available at under 4.5k.

I do genuinly get 19.4mpg.... I was discrediting the 197 as i own one.. was merely being honest....

Is there anything you can do to the car to improve it? It was serviced in January etc.... i mean cleaning things etc... not removing the back seats :p

HickiN

Golf 7R
How people are getting 30+ MPG from their 197's, unless driven on the motorway at a constant 70mph, is beyond me?!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Think people need to reset trip when its been brimmed, then let the light come on. Then post,

Average speed
MPG
Mileage.

I will when i fill up this weekend.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have a vid of the trip computer I made a while back, I've uploaded it to photobucket, how do i embed it on here?

/r****d :/

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
Basically the gearboxes are going left right and centre in MK3's. Both 197's and 200's. The most common reported issue crunch at high revs between 3rd and 4th.

That's exactly what happened to my 197. 4th gear synchro went. It wasn't even at high revs though, it just crunched in to gear every single time. Luckily mine was just inside it's warranty period. It hadn't even had a hard life like my previous Clios.

If anyone is buying a 197 Cup I'd steer clear of my old one (number plate ends SXY). One of the reasons I got shot was it was out of warranty and the gearbox was starting to feel a little on the ropey side again.

TBH, when they're cold the gearboxes really don't like doing anything!

I've not really worked out my MPG, but with my mixed driving commute (normal roads in to Birmingham, M6 home) the trip reckons between 28-30mpg normal boring driving. I used to see 32-34 in the 172/182/Trophy. However, the tank is a little bigger in the 197/200 and I seem to get an extra couple of days out of it, when it should probably only manage one more. I think the 172/182 was a little generous with it's readings to be honest. A full tank in the 200 gets me around 340 miles, with the light coming on soon after. They really hate stop start traffic though, I've never seen a fuel guage in a Clio drop so fast!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
[video=youtube_share;d8teGQrNlxw]http://youtu.be/d8teGQrNlxw[/video]

ah ha!

Something like that. I'll do a new one as i cant remember if that was tripped when brimmed ( i think it had a sneeky tenner in it looking how many miles i'd covered,and how many left) etc

White clique
LOL @ people trying to discredit 197's. It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

man never landed on the moon either. 9/11 was set up by Tony Blair.

I cannot see how the same car with the same engine could get such a low reading unless the engine was either tuned or fucked. The average for a 197 has consistently been 28-ish for combined use across most owners. Of course you could get ANY car to show 19 if you wanted to, thats easy.

However i dont see why its so believable to think a standard 197 can get 10mpg lower with combined MPG cycle reading than other similar 197s, when (for eaxmple) this would be seen to be out of the ordinary for a 182. I "think" 182's get around 36mpg from memory when i had mine.. if there were people on here saying they only get 25mpg from their 182 (i.e 10 or 11 less than normal), this would be deemed unusual and the car a shed (or tuned). So i can't see why thats also not the case when it comes to 197s?

I'm not talking drivers flooring it absolutely everywhere, i'm talking about those who use their cars daily, which includes what most of us endure, i.e traffic jams and crawling along behind grannies.

Clio 197
My 197 gets 22 to about 26 normally. It's less than two miles to work for me so the car's not really warm in winter by the time I get there. I sit in traffic for most of the journey on the way back too. I got 35 on the way to TOPO the other weekend. It was about 40 miles and was travelling at 70mph. Used to get about 26 to 29 in my 182 although it did 40 on the way back from Devon. My 197 does cost a lot to run but I like it so much. It makes me smile.

Mine is on 20.6 mpg at the moment but I do so much City Centre driving with nost journeys between 2-3 miles. The 197 is not a City Car. If you want fuel economy because you live in the City buy a Polo Blue Motion. It;s the price you have to pay for using a race horse for your daily commute. On longer journeys I can get 30 - 35 mpg depending on if I'm convoying with Atouba and Fletch then its about 19 mpg.

Either that or every journey is made in 1st gear only!

I had a 197 and easily did mid-30's mixed, and on a run it'd go into 40's at a steady 70mph.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Right results

Distance 368.5M
Fuel used 12.1G
Average 30.1 MPG
Average 32.9 MPH

So there we go.

Thats slightly less than normal as I'm doing lots of 5 mile round trips moving gear into new pad lol

H

HickiN

I drove like an absolute hooligan over past 2 days...

18.7mpg
half a tank in 63 miles.... will get the exact figures in the morning on the way to work....weather is too bad at the minute (the type of rain when you pop to the car and come back soaked!)

HickiN

**someone in a previous post suggested this is because i'm an awesome driver**

Last edited by a moderator:
  Swift Sport
Trouble is CS is stuck in like a 2003 twilight zone. Its MK2 or nothing on here.

Its time to move on guys

+1

I can't see how the Trophy is better... Sure it might feel quicker but then doing the same speed in a Tescos shopping trolley would feel quicker still.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine is on 20.6 mpg at the moment but I do so much City Centre driving with nost journeys between 2-3 miles. The 197 is not a City Car. If you want fuel economy because you live in the City buy a Polo Blue Motion. It;s the price you have to pay for using a race horse for your daily commute. On longer journeys I can get 30 - 35 mpg depending on if I'm convoying with Atouba and Fletch then its about 19 mpg.

Sounds a bit high for one of our convoys :eek:

White clique
I drove like an absolute hooligan over past 2 days...

18.7mpg
half a tank in 63 miles.... will get the exact figures in the morning on the way to work....weather is too bad at the minute (the type of rain when you pop to the car and come back soaked!)

HickiN

**someone in a previous post suggested this is because i'm an awesome driver**

But what point does that prove about MPG, you could take any car and drive it like a hooligan and get late teens MPG, it doesnt reflect what most drivers would get out of 197s at all! It means nothing as a comparison, you may as well say all cars have s**t MPG if you drive them all hard.