ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Firefox 3.5 released

Better than yours. C*nt.
One question for all you anally retentive geeks.

How do you centrally manage the deployment and update of this? As I'm reluctant to let the boss have his way at present because we'll put out the current version and come 6 months time there will be dozens of security exploits as is always the way with browsers, and we'll have no way of reporting on who is updated and who isn't?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
One question for all you anally retentive geeks.

How do you centrally manage the deployment and update of this? As I'm reluctant to let the boss have his way at present because we'll put out the current version and come 6 months time there will be dozens of security exploits as is always the way with browsers, and we'll have no way of reporting on who is updated and who isn't?

In the same boat as you really but care less lol

I just push it out via AD GP. At least if the laptop users eventually connect to the corp network they have to do the updates before they can log on.

Better than yours. C*nt.
In the same boat as you really but care less lol

I just push it out via AD GP. At least if the laptop users eventually connect to the corp network they have to do the updates before they can log on.

I guess so, but still not too keen as we can't say whether someone has had it installed or not without physically checking.

-1 for Firefox. Corporate environment is where it really needs to shine, and it just doesn't.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
we use it in our corporate enviroment with the i.e engine switcher add on. just add the sites you want as exceptions and away you go, works very well

Better than yours. C*nt.
Again though, you've missed the point I made - there's no central update/management tool as there is with IE. I can tell you now how many of our computers don't have the latest security updates for IE7 - I can even tell you if someone is using IE6, or whether someone has installed IE8. I can only tell if someone has Firefox using our helpdesk tool, but that doesn't help me keep it up to date or tell me which patches - just that someone has 'Firefox v1.****' installed.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Again though, you've missed the point I made - there's no central update/management tool as there is with IE. I can tell you now how many of our computers don't have the latest security updates for IE7 - I can even tell you if someone is using IE6, or whether someone has installed IE8. I can only tell if someone has Firefox using our helpdesk tool, but that doesn't help me keep it up to date or tell me which patches - just that someone has 'Firefox v1.****' installed.

Yes, Like yourself I use custom helpdesk software which generates reports on software usage.

I work in a smaller company so is manageable that way. It would be nice if mozilla started looking at corporate rollouts as it would no doubt get them a lot more installs.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Yes, Like yourself I use custom helpdesk software which generates reports on software usage.

I work in a smaller company so is manageable that way. It would be nice if mozilla started looking at corporate rollouts as it would no doubt get them a lot more installs.

Yeah, it really is a shame because there are some in the business that swear by it - but we've either got to stop it as a whole, or allow it, otherwise our userbase would moan if they saw us using it.

All it needs is it's own version of WSUS/AV Console type stuff so that patches can be reported on, but for a larger organisation with disparate networks it's a nightmare to do anything manually...

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Just update mine.

Seems very very slow to navigate around CS now!

Infact pages are taking a while to open and load.

hmmmm odd!

Since the update, mine keeps crashing. And tons of things are not even loading.

E.g. The 'Home' and 'Refresh' buttons have disapeared at the moment, this quick reply box is missing all the icons for Bold etc.

Strange!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I rebooted my PC and hit on the firefox icon to load up my home page, but nothing happened, and the .exe didnt even show in the Task mananger, so I had to re-install.

B

Brown.

Cheers for the shout, i tried the beta but went back to the old due to the look. DL'n now :D

Seems strange that people are having issues. Did you have tonnes of add-ons installed by any chance?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Nope, just a few, nothing out the ordinary.

However updated my laptop as well and it was initially very slow but seems to be snappy fast now.

PC is still being slow, but it seems to be a reported problem with Vista Business and FF3.5...