ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Car, First Clio!

Ph1 1.2
I'm 17 and decided to go for a Clio as my first car!..
After looking around for abit i managed to find one in real good condition :) :

1999 (mk2 ph1) RT 1.2, only done 50,000mls and had just 2 owners from new, both OAPS!

As it is at the moment (standard) it looks pretty average, but i think its got potential as its in good nick, hasnt got any damage and is a CLIO!

Its got the nice little round fogg lights below the headlights which i dont think is standard on all Clios with a similar Reg.. however it is 5door and has brilliant red paintwork, but hasnt got body coloured bumpers :(

Any ideas on how to improve how the car looks?? so far i'm think of..
- 15" multispoke alloys with 195/50R15 tyres.
- Skirt/body kit, not some gordy stuff just something to make it look more balanced.
- lowered, no idea of how or specification?

Thanks, Luke. :)

Last edited:
First off, before you start spending money on modifications, does it have service history?

When was the last time the timing belt was changed? Auxiliary Belt? Oil? Air Filter? etc etc

I made the mistake of not checking these things on my first car and the timing belt snapped and cost me a lot of money.

Also, Clios in general look better using OEM modifications, i.e. a set of 172 wheels are much better than some crappy halfords aftermarket jobbies.

Bang a couple of pictures up first and I'm sure we will be able to help you :)

Oh and btw, Welcome to the forum :p

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
OEM+ is the way modifying should be done now adays.... subtlety is key in this game!

keep it simple.... lowering springs, 172 alloys or be a sheep and go for turinis.... touch of colour coding and your onto a winner!

Ph1 1.2
All i really want to change is; Alloys + Tyres, Lowering springs, some colour coding, maybe side skirt.. any essentials missing?

Jap Box
Post some pics up :)

Cheap mods are colour coding side strips, spraying up badges, silver visions, sport headlights, PH2 rears, dynamique spoiler, possible some wind deflectors too.

Is it the bright red? Like my avatar or the darker burgandy colour?

Ph1 1.2
Yes, exactly like yours Kerry,
i want to do all those things + lowering springs or coilies and alloys..

Jap Box
Yes, exactly like yours Kerry,
i want to do all those things + lowering springs or coilies and alloys..

Ahh good base then :)

Heres Stu's old PH1, im aiming at ending mine like it minus the sticker bombing he had going on :rasp:

IMG_1068.jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

french_car_show2020.jpg

Heres a link to the most recent of mine - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?561705-Freshly-cleaned-)&highlight=

Jap Box
Looks to be in very good condition, id pull off the weird looking stick on bump strips on the front bumper though :rasp:

Is it a special model as you have the small mudflaps and fog lights too. Does it have electric windows?

Colour code the mirrors, tidy up the greyish looking bump strips too :) possibly some alloys (ive got a set like the ones on mine but they are pretty mint, will need 2 new tyres though but ill do them cheap)

Got some other ideas above to tidy it up :)

Ph1 1.2
Yeah, it really is good condition. Its an RT 1.2, got electirc windows and sun roof.. I'm thinking about removing the little mudflaps as they sit kinda wonky, good idea?

I just looked at your link and the mirrors look nice, how did you do it??

I've got some alloys coming at the moment, sorry :(

Octavia VRS LE
Real nice first car imo, dont let the 5 doors put you off modding, ive seen some very nice 5 door clios, takes something special but you could pull it off. as for the mudflaps yeahh id pull them off, why not gey ph2 rear lights? imo they look better some people on here prefer the old ph1 lights on the ph1 thou.... also dont make the same mistakes as i did and follow the other 17 year olds in 'chavving' your car up and making it into a boy racer machine. subtle mods are always the best!!

Jap Box
Yeah, it really is good condition. Its an RT 1.2, got electirc windows and sun roof.. I'm thinking about removing the little mudflaps as they sit kinda wonky, good idea?

I just looked at your link and the mirrors look nice, how did you do it??

I've got some alloys coming at the moment, sorry :(

Might be an initial/privilidge edition or something if its got all electric windows/roof etc.

Yeah I was thinking they were wonky and not sure if they suit the 5 door one. If you do remove them keep the securing srews etc and ill buy them off you as im after some myself :)

Best start for the rear end will be a dynamique spoiler, cheap and makes it look 100% better.

Bought the mirrors off Stu on here but theyre just sprayed over and laquered. You might need new mirrors with removeable covers on them though as Im not sure how it would end up on just normal ones, could work though if you mask off the edges precisely.

Ph1 1.2
you really wouldnt wont the mudflaps, there in a STATE. bolts all rustings, and actual flaps have a rip in.. ill get em of and see what there like.

what spray did you use? also whats the colour for our Clios??

Listerine & Poledo
leave it be fella, wait until any new-driver "incident" are out of the way first.

best mods are things like changing the brakes or tyres for new ones when the old ones are knackered.

cheap colour coding is all fine, but hold back from throwing proper money at it yet

:)

Ph1 1.2
Real nice first car imo, dont let the 5 doors put you off modding, ive seen some very nice 5 door clios, takes something special but you could pull it off. as for the mudflaps yeahh id pull them off, why not gey ph2 rear lights? imo they look better some people on here prefer the old ph1 lights on the ph1 thou.... also dont make the same mistakes as i did and follow the other 17 year olds in 'chavving' your car up and making it into a boy racer machine. subtle mods are always the best!!

Yeh, i'm looking into getting some ph2 rear lights, but im unsure to fitment and sizing etc..

the mudflaps are deffo coming off now ;D

Jap Box
you really wouldnt wont the mudflaps, there in a STATE. bolts all rustings, and actual flaps have a rip in.. ill get em of and see what there like.

what spray did you use? also whats the colour for our Clios??

All the bolts on clio's are rusty :rasp: I could probably tidy them up :)

The colours capsicum red. You can get it in spray cans at halfords

Jap Box
Yeh, i'm looking into getting some ph2 rear lights, but im unsure to fitment and sizing etc..

the mudflaps are deffo coming off now ;D

PH2 lights are a straight swap, you just need to swap the wired around in the clusters. Become a member on here and you can find the guide and loads more :)

whats the best and most cost efficient way to colour code my clio guys??

Sand down, prime, spray colour on, laquer. Leave the coats dry first though and you need to do afew of each.

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
Just fit the mud flaps properly I've got the rear ones on mine the now, looks much better from the rear IMHO

It lOoks one clean Clio though! Enjoy modding!

As has been said, alloys, lows, spoiler and colour coding are the best mods to go for :)

Ph1 1.2
Update: just done a few basic things.. removed the silly mudflaps, re-blacked all bumpers and side bumpers.

next: colour coding mirrors, rear ph2 lights, and 15" alloys with some low-profile tyres!

any ideas or suggestions welcomed :D

Luke.

Ph1 1.2
cheers stu, was a pretty mint clio you had, minus the orangeness ;) IMO anyways..

i'm not sure im going to colour code side strips as i blacked them today and they came up pretty nice, but deffo doing mirrors and dynamique spoiler..

Ph1 1.2
cheers stu, was a pretty mint clio you had, minus the orangeness ;) IMO anyways..

i'm not sure im going to colour code side strips as i blacked them today and they came up pretty nice, but deffo doing mirrors and dynamique spoiler..

Jap Box
Looks a nice clean base! thats my old clio on the first page with the orange porsche wheels lol defo get it lowerd and colour code the side strips and handles with some nice wheels youl be onto a winner!

heres the project thread for my old car to give you ideas! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?502929-low-ph1-pikey-build!&highlight=

Ahh yeah thats the link, couldnt find it when I was posting so just found the pics on the net instead :rasp:

I preferred it with the yellow wheels though myself.

Ph1 1.2
as standard..
DSC00043.jpg

fitted 15" Dezent alloyd, pained break hubs and calipers and clear side repeaters..
dezentmotion.jpg
clivepic1.jpg

Since then:
fitted ph2 rear lights,
Colour coded and fitted 172 spoiler
debadged and resprayed 'Renault', 'Clio' and diamond badges.

Got some more stuff coming tomorrow:
25mm hubcentric spacers
colour coded wing mirrors

Things to do in the future:

Dual optic headlights (anyone has any for sale, pm me please!)
Sportex backbox - cheap and cheerful and sounds alright..
40mm lowering springs.
Green replacement air filter.
new number plates to tidy up!

I'll upload more pictures tomorrow when the spacers and mirrors are on.

any oppinions or suggestions?