ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Service and a devil to work on!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

My car has been in to my friends local (good) garage for a thorough first service and he told his mechanics not to book any more 172s in as mine was a bu*ger to work on! He said that it is a good job that mine is the only one around here!

Apparently it took him 25 minutes just to get the oil filter out and his arms were a bit battered through trying to get into very little engine space as there is so much crammed in to a tiny area. He said that he hopes that I NEVER need new plugs, as he tried to explain just where they are and how much would have to be removed before you can get to them!

I am glad it has only cost me the price of the oil and filter and nothing for his time! No wonder a service is quite expensive when you think how long it takes to get at the parts.

He reckons that the mechanics in France must be little girls with skinny arms and tiny hands to enable them to reach into the tight spaces!

Also, when it was up on the ramp, he noticed that the back axle is an old Vauxhall one and that the front brakes are the same as a 15 year old GTT (but slightly bigger) which was also in today. There were a few other comments which I have forgotten. He said it runs well though.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Heaven help him if you ever need a replacement offside front sidelight bulb then GR - took me an hour to change mine!

Clio 1.6 16V

Now that cars are following more aerodynamic and predestrian safety designs the front and bonnet profiles are at steeper angles. Therefore there is much less room to get things in there. Also the Clio was never really initially designed to take a 2L lump!

As Mike says the headlights are are nightmare. I changed the main beam H7s to vision plus (easy), put in silverline indicators (fiddly) and different sidelights bulbs (b*****ds) in the 172 ......and still have the scars on the back of my hands to prove it! Mike, try changing the nearside H7 on a 2001 1.6 16V .....its even worse ....took me TWO hours and plastic surgery on the hands! Right behind the fuse box.

Found a good trick with the filter removal. If you detatch the metal/rubber hose that runs along the front of the engine from the radiator chassis mount you can get your arm right in at an angle from the top and get your hand round the filter. I managed to remove mine easily within 5 minutes after doing this (Ive got fairly thick arms too ....to match my brain!). Hardest bit is getting the new filter re-threaded properly before tightening it up. There is also a removable cover on the sump guard too so easy to get to the drain plug. Reckon I could change the filter and oil within 3/4 hour next time round. I do have a full size inspection pit so makes oil draining a wee bit easier.

Youre ok with the plugs GR ...I believe they are normally only changed every 70K miles!

Neil

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 15 February 2003

My car has been in to my friends local (good) garage for a thorough first service and he told his mechanics not to book any more 172s in as mine was a bu*ger to work on! He said that it is a good job that mine is the only one around here!

Bang goes your warranty and they arent that hard to work on.

Apparently it took him 25 minutes just to get the oil filter out and his arms were a bit battered through trying to get into very little engine space as there is so much crammed in to a tiny area. He said that he hopes that I NEVER need new plugs, as he tried to explain just where they are and how much would have to be removed before you can get to them!

Using the approved special tool, oil filters are not a challenge. Spark plugs are easy to do. Remove the plastic engine cover, remove the pencil coils, remove spark plugs. 10 minutes at most!

I am glad it has only cost me the price of the oil and filter and nothing for his time! No wonder a service is quite expensive when you think how long it takes to get at the parts.

Now you see why dealers charge SOOOO much!!!

He reckons that the mechanics in France must be little girls with skinny arms and tiny hands to enable them to reach into the tight spaces!

Now, that I would agree with - sorry French technicians!!!:oops:

Also, when it was up on the ramp, he noticed that the back axle is an old Vauxhall one and that the front brakes are the same as a 15 year old GTT (but slightly bigger) which was also in today. There were a few other comments which I have forgotten.

An old Vauxhall rear axle???? LMAO, GTT brakes (chuckle)

He said it runs well though.

Reads - "He thrashed it!

LOL Bob

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Flying Scotsman on 15 February 2003

As Mike says the headlights are are nightmare. I changed the main beam H7s to vision plus (easy), put in silverline indicators (fiddly) and different sidelights bulbs (b*****ds) in the 172 ......and still have the scars on the back of my hands to prove it! Mike, try changing the nearside H7 on a 2001 1.6 16V .....its even worse ....took me TWO hours and plastic surgery on the hands! Right behind the fuse box.
Found a good trick with the filter removal. If you detatch the metal/rubber hose that runs along the front of the engine from the radiator chassis mount you can get your arm right in at an angle from the top and get your hand round the filter. I managed to remove mine easily within 5 minutes after doing this (Ive got fairly thick arms too ....to match my brain!). Hardest bit is getting the new filter re-threaded properly before tightening it up. There is also a removable cover on the sump guard too so easy to get to the drain plug. Reckon I could change the filter and oil within 3/4 hour next time round. I do have a full size inspection pit so makes oil draining a wee bit easier.

Neil

Neil

Is that metal/rubber hose that you mentioned, the power steering pipe? If so, wouldnt you then have to add the fluid which would leak out?

And Bob

I have a three year unlimited RAC warranty, which states that I can take my car to any VAT registered garage, as long as genuine Renault parts are used - which they were, because the oil filter was bought from our Renault dealer, as are all the parts for the Renaults that our garage service.

In fact, this garage often has to put things right, which main dealers have omitted to do or things which have been missed probably due to them having to meet targets!!

Also Bob RTE, they dont need to thrash my car, as they are well used to fixing/servicing much better / quicker cars than mine, they have TVRs, Jags, Mercs, Beemers, Cossies and today they was a gorgeous Maserati in, and a TVR in with a TVR number plate, which is as good as a Cup with a CUP plate! So I dont think they would want to thrash mine as they dont even really like Clios to be perfectly honest.

Remember that these guys have been friends of ours for about fifteen years so take care of our cars and value and welcome their customers, which is probably why they are constantly busy and well respected.

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah Bob come on mate that was a bit f**king harsh. Someone had a bad day?

She was just informing everyone about what happened. Which is of some help to other 172 Owners. At least she didnt get sh*tty in a reply though!!!

Not jealous cause she got a 172 are we??

2012 WRX Waggon

i was topping up my screen wash yesterday, though id look where this oil filter was fitted.......OMG! how the bloody ell do u get to it!

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

I am sorry if I have offended you Girl Racer. I was only having a bit of a laugh but unfortunately (once again) my sarcastic sense of humour has been missed. At the end of my post I did sign off with LOL! Laugh out loud/lots of laughs or even Lots of love.

I do work on these cars every day and I dont find them difficult to work on. Horses for courses etc.

I beg your forgivness (and your friends at your local garage)(grovel grovel) See, there I go again!

:oops:

Bob

Lionel Richie

My car has the EXACT same brake calipers and pads as the 5GTT!!!!! Same size discs too but mine have ABS sensors

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Liquid_ICE on 17 February 2003

Yeah Bob come on mate that was a bit f**king harsh. Someone had a bad day?
She was just informing everyone about what happened. Which is of some help to other 172 Owners. At least she didnt get sh*tty in a reply though!!!

Not jealous cause she got a 172 are we??
Liquid_ICE

Thanks for sticking up for me.

You too Visceral regarding the stupid place to put an oil filter.

Fred2001Dynamic, wouldnt you have thought that Renault would have had a modern brake system and not from the GTT which hasnt been made for goodness knows how long!

CHEAPSKATES!!

;)

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

GR, I said I am SORRY!!!!

How long will I have to remain out in the wilderness begging your forgivness?

A sad and lonely Bob :(

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

GR, have you not looked at my previous posts?

Please look, pretty please!

Go on - you know you want to!

LOL Bob

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 17 February 2003

My car has the EXACT same brake calipers and pads as the 5GTT!!!!! Same size discs too but mine have ABS sensors
OK I submit. If they are the same discs and calipers whats wrong with that?

Dont fix what aint broken!

In submission/remission/admission to the local looney bin!

Yours

Bob

Theres nowt wrong with using the same brake callipers - apart from having more "pots", there havent been major advances in calliper design AFAIK! I think that the rear callipers are the same too - they are on the 16v and Willy (which have the same callipers as the GTT all round).

I guess the master cylinder and other ancillary components will be much better though.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Bugger you guys are really hard to please aint ya !!

So what if they are similar/ same as the 5gtt brakes and discs.

Do they work ? Yes

Do they work well ? Yes

Do they have ABS (CUP EXCLUDED) ? YES

Are the same ones from the 5GTT used on the 16v and Williams ? Yes

Are we unhappy with em ? No

Do they need to be changed ? No

Job Done. Everybodies Happy :)

This is not a bitchy remark, just light hearted. Keep on smiling ;)

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Thanks GR

I owe ya lots and lots for your forgivness! Ill never be sarcastic again, EVER!!!!

See, im not so bad! Not so good either sometimes!

Im so HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Hi Leigh.

Uphill / happy / struggle / people / its / with / an / to / keep / with / Renaults / their/

Please rearrange these words to make a sentance.

You are bang on.

The brakes stop the car, what more DO YOU WANT?

Bob - going to bed - really down hearted -

Bob, climbs ladder, opens loft hatch, finds wooden joist supporting roof tiles, takes out coiled rope from inventory, ties rope around neck, ties other end around joist, prepares to jump. Says sod it!

Tomorrow is another day!

Good night all

Or was it Nytol???? Maybe?

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Thanks for that GirlRacer! Slept like a log!

Wanna share it with me some time????

LOL!

Bob

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The log didnt just roll off, it left me! Apparently I snore, although it never wakes me up!

Hey, GR, you said in an earlier post that you have a 3 yr RAC warranty. Is your 172 not brand new? I am not being funny, but if you have your Clio 172 serviced outside the network, it can destroy any contributions from RUK if you have a problem later in its life. Renault are quite sympathetic to owners who do suffer faults but only if they have been serviced within the network.

They operate a "contribution" scheme that can sometimes pay 100% of the repair bill if an item has failed within its expected life. Up to five years old!!!!

You may think I am trying to hoodwink you into taking your car to Renault, but I have nothing to gain from this personally. I just like to inform ppl of the risks of taking the car elsewhere.

Laters

Bob.

I have also revealed where I work on another post.

"Anyone else work for Renault?"

DRIVELINE ASHFORD.

01233 658585

GR7

Shiny red R32

Bob

My car was brand new last January with three miles on the clock! Dont worry about my warranty as I have a very detailed brochure which came with it and is for three years. Obviously it is also covered by Renault, and in the first week and a couple more times in the second month it needed warranty work doing on it.

First of all, I had the dreaded water ingress, discovered when I checked to see what the spare wheel was like, the wheel well had about five inches of water in it! This took two visits to my local dealer who eventually sorted it out, with help from a Renault friend who supplied some Renault information and diagrams on this problem, which was apparently more common on the Mk1 172.

Then the faulty exterior temperature sensor needed to be replaced, as it was showing 40 degrees when it was only about 16 degrees, but it is fine now.

Otherwise all is OK and as we have a nice BMW, and my husband dislikes the Clio, we always go out in his car so I have only driven 3,350 miles, not even run in yet!

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 15 February 2003
Apparently it took him 25 minutes just to get the oil filter out and his arms were a bit battered through trying to get into very little engine space as there is so much crammed in to a tiny area. He said that he hopes that I NEVER need new plugs, as he tried to explain just where they are and how much would have to be removed before you can get to them!I am glad it has only cost me the price of the oil and filter and nothing for his time! No wonder a service is quite expensive when you think how long it takes to get at the parts.

Its easy to change the oil filter on the 172.. Just removed the injector head shield (thats the rectangluar lump of metal on the front of the engine).. 2 bolts.. and then have very easy access to the oil filter
:)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Mark

Thats a different method of reaching the oil filter!

Flying Scotsman posted this the other day - "Found a good trick with the filter removal. If you detatch the metal/rubber hose that runs along the front of the engine from the radiator chassis mount you can get your arm right in at an angle from the top and get your hand round the filter. I managed to remove mine easily within 5 minutes after doing this (Ive got fairly thick arms too ....to match my brain!). Hardest bit is getting the new filter re-threaded properly before tightening it up. There is also a removable cover on the sump guard too so easy to get to the drain plug. Reckon I could change the filter and oil within 3/4 hour next time round. I do have a full size inspection pit so makes oil draining a wee bit easier."

But is that not the "power steering pipe" that Flying Scotsman describes?

Ive yet to servive the willy, but I assume the oil filter is in the same place as the valver???

Anyone know an easy way to get to the filter on a willy/valver?

The valver I had used to rip the skin off my arms during oil / filter change.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

All Renault technicians are provided with free teflon/asbestos arm pads when they join Renault, as an aid to removing oil filters that the designers of the cars placed in an awkward place. They also have free transport to the nearest hospital if the pads dont fully protect thier arms!

LOL

Bob RTE