ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time painter, advice needed.

Black 182 FF
Hello. I'm eventually going to paint my bumper but for now I'd starting on an alloy. I've done bits of painting on old cars before with aerosols (basically bits of bodging), but never with a spray gun and compressor (which I now have).

So basically to get started I realise I need to sand/strip the wheel and prep it. So I've got sandpaper, masking tape and I'll be getting some tack cloths/panel wipe.

For the actual painting of the wheel I of course need the paint (quarter of a litre for one wheel?) and 2k lacquer, hardner and thinners?

I'll also need a mask, some mixing cups, a heatgun/halogen heater, compound (G3?).

Is there anything I'm missing?

Also is there any guide to mixing ratios for the paint/hardener on here?

Cheers for any replies guys, I've done a fair bit of reading and I know I'll make mistakes, but I'm quite interested and willing to learn anyway.

Punto/Clio GTT
paint strainers/mixing stick

basecoat dont have hardener in, just thinners, just ask where you buy the paint what the ratio is, its usually between 1:1 and 2:1

laquer is mixed with hardener, usually 4:1 sometimes 5:1 with 10% thinners

and you can probably paint 4 wheels with 1/2 a litre (thinned down to a litre or so)

youre also gonna need some primer, cellulose is fine, just mix it with thinners, ratio is anywhere from 3:1-5:1, ask where you buy it

Black 182 FF
Cheers. My compressor is quite small, almost unused. From what I've read it'll do panels no problem but would struggle with a full car, which is fine by me. However I'm wondering about some kind of filter for water in the air as I don't think its currently got one or would that not really be an issue?

clio 182, 62 beetle
bigger compressors have dryer's but in your case you can buy a water trap they fit on your air regulator "where the air goes into the gun" there ok for small jobs, your nearest paint supplyer will have them, tell them what your doing,.

Dodgy one
Buy a half decent water trap as well as one on your gun, i have a trap/ regulator halfway connected to one airline in my garage, which is approx 4ft from the floor to try minimise the amount of water coming through the gun, i then run my gun off another line from the trap, I've painted a fair few panels in my garage and the trap can fill up fairly easy so i doubt a little one on your gunwill last long.

Hi Chaps, speaking from experience id be VERY careful with DIY spraying and 2K paints......you need an air fed mask which unfortunately will need 10+cfm on its own, which means you probably need atleast 25cfm out your compressor, to do it safely.

Now, what are the dangers....well industrial asthma + more , oh and possible death, and we arent talking prolonged exposure with 2K paints we are talking very person dependant, some people one good dose (esp if you already have asthma) and others much more tolerent. The main problem is that ALL 2K paints contain isocyanates (sp) which if you get exposed permanently seals areas of your lungs......its all round very nasty stuff (google it!). A consideration is not just "you" but also people around you, you have a mask on lets say but do your neighbours? its possible to give people a dose well away from the spraying, which is why in a professional setup the ducting from the booth goes many feet into the air and has paint catching etc.

Paint suppliers will sell you 2K stuff without a second thought, as there get out clause is the "Professional use only" written on the tin, if i were you id take it down your local spray shop and get it done or of course post to us.

If your going to do it, do not skimp on a mask, you need at bare min a full face 3M gas / vapour mask (~£50) or if you compressor will cut it an air fed, either way spray the 2K and get the hell out!

Google 2K paints and risks before you begin, i cant stress enough how nasty this stuff is, but like most things treat it with respect and have the right gear and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Si

Dodgy one
Am I correct in assuming that both the anthracite and BG colours are 2k paints only? :S
No, 2k goes a lot further than that, Pretty much everything nowadays in a P&B shop is 2k, Primers and laquers which require a hardner,

Its like laddo says above, You should ideally wear a suit to protect yourself, gloves, (goggles if your not on an airfed) and a mask, as long as your filters on your mask have a brown ring round them your ok to paint little bits with, The isocyonate thats in these paints i think a lot forget its not only absorbed through your lungs but your skin also, The only beef i have with the disposable suits is you f**king stink once you take them off!

For example you mix some primer, 4:1 (primer:hardner) The two separate arent that big a deal yeah you wouldnt go swallowing it, Its once they are mixed and become atomised once you spray.

If you know the risks your taking its up to you I've done it fully clothed up with gloves and a teatowel round my head :D you wont be the first or last, A lot do little bits on the side,

I'd Just hope your neighbours arent greenpeace, If they ring the environment agency your f**ked!