ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time towing my car to the track...

"Maximum authorised mass ( MAM ) means the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it's being used on the road. This is also known as gross vehicle weight ( GVW ) or permissible maximumweight"

Well after a misinterpretation of a trailers MAM I'm not legally authorised to trailer my track car as I only have a category B licence.

Not only does the combined MAM of car and trailer weigh 4070kg, which is 570kg over the prescribed 3500kg limit on a class B licence, it also seems that I'd need a trailer with a MAM of less than 1470kg as you cannot tow a trailer with a MAM above the unladen weight of the tow vehicle.

What you need is a light weight trailer, one that weighs about 400kg with a load capacity of about 1200kg. The PRG Minisport trailer is the one i'm looking to get eventually. Gross weight of 1500kg (load capacity of 1135kg).

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Take the test.
I've just done mine. 2 days and test was 495 quid

Trying to find a trailer to buy now.

16v UK Cup Race Car
I've been towing my track/race cars for years...

Top Tip:
When reversing, adjust your seat to a high position (or use your left arm on the passenger seat to bolster you as you raise your butt up off the seat) in order to look up and over and out the back of the car as you reverse.

Another 2 top tips:
1. Automatics tow best - much smoother, and low-speed manoeuvring is greatly enhanced.
2. If using a 4WD (theres a Range Rover in your picture), use Low Ratio for very low speed/accurate reversing manoeuvring, also when towing away from wet grass/dirt.

IMG_1019_zpsifckn8fz.gif

IMG_0420_zpsxgrsfciy.jpg