ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First track day in the Mk1 - video

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So we’ve decided to splash some cash on some Go Pro’s and as we try and do at least one track day a month, it should make for some good footage over the coming year or so.

MX5 is a standard car with some cheap Coilovers and decent brakes - having the BBR 225 ITB conversion at the end of this month. Elliot the driver has no fear of dying.

My Mk1 clio has 172 running gear, cheap coilovers but properly stripped and weighs next to nothing.

Grey 172 has Jenvey ITB’s, AST’s and half of the Pure Motorsport catalogue. And the owner Sam is a very good driver.

There is also a black iTB’d Gripper Diff’d Ph1 clio in our group but he wasn’t there on this occasion. Matt the guy that owns this is obscenely competitive and he will make for good viewing in the future I’m sure.

This is our first ever video, my first time driving the Mk1 on track and was basically just Day of experimenting so please ignore the driving standards on this occasion... 😂

Comments and criticisms on the video welcome, we’re very new to all this technology lark;

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Good content and i enjoyed it.. I dont sub to many channels but i have yours.. Keep up the good work. The Mk1 looks well.. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great vid, love Castle Combe.

What camera are you using, quality looks class.

Cant believe combe let the lad out in the mx5 with an open face helmet, i got pulled at Cadwell in an open face helmet in an s2000, had to do the reverse of shame :LOL:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Fantastic!

You look like you had an epic day!

Had a proper chuckle at elliots zero f***s - max attack approach haha

And Sam is still a monster behind the wheel!

How did the mk1 fare on it’s first outing, looked to go brilliantly.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Great vid, love Castle Combe.

What camera are you using, quality looks class.

Cant believe combe let the lad out in the mx5 with an open face helmet, i got pulled at Cadwell in an open face helmet in an s2000, had to do the reverse of shame :LOL:
Iirc, Combeis the only Circuit left that allows open face with open tops. I’m sure that’s why the guy said at Oulton. (When Elliot had to do the same reverse of shame! Lol!)

Go Pro Hero 7 I think they’re called?? Mega impressed with the quality.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fantastic!

You look like you had an epic day!

Had a proper chuckle at elliots zero f***s - max attack approach haha

And Sam is still a monster behind the wheel!

How did the mk1 fare on it’s first outing, looked to go brilliantly.
Mk1 is just as fast as sams 214bhp monster and notably faster than the MX5. I was stating behind Elliot most of the morning for video purposes. I the ok sessions we did our own thing and I actually put some effort in.

With some decent suspension I’m sure the Mk1 will be an absolute beast!

Apart from a failed starter motor, it was faultless all day. And thankfully there are always people around to bump start me! 😂

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Mk1 is just as fast as sams 214bhp monster and notably faster than the MX5. I was stating behind Elliot most of the morning for video purposes. I the ok sessions we did our own thing and I actually put some effort in.

With some decent suspension I’m sure the Mk1 will be an absolute beast!

Apart from a failed starter motor, it was faultless all day. And thankfully there are always people around to bump start me! 😂

Weapon! Yeah I’m sure it’ll go incredibly well with some decent suspension.

Oh god. Thankfully just a little hiccup then :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great video that, and as everyone has said, it’s a proper ‘when car loving teenagers grow up’ type thing, very genuine.

Glad you FINALLY got that poxy mk1 going

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Clearly CGI.

There is no Mk1, no one's ever seen it - plus does anyone believe he knows how to pedal a GoPro, let alone make a video and upload it to YouTube :ROFLMAO:

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Nice to see a mk1 on here for a change but I get very excited at the MX5 with a 225 ITB kit, which is sad I know, be interesting to see how it compares then!

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
That looked brilliant fun! I used to love my mk1 rsi it was a brilliant little car and wish I had kept it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Nice to see a mk1 on here for a change but I get very excited at the MX5 with a 225 ITB kit, which is sad I know, be interesting to see how it compares then!
If its a BBR kit it'll make about 180bhp haha. (Jokes it should easily do 220)

There's a lad on FB just finished his 2.5 conversion with some nice bits, 270bhp at 8krpm. That will be a proper laugh.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Good vid Potato. It makes me happy and warm inside that the mk1 is alive and well and doing what it should be doing after so long.

Was this your birthday track day? If so, glad it was such a good day and knowing the three of you I’m sure the pit lane antics were just as amusing 👍

You welcomed comments - I don’t like the video except the colour. Should have leased a Kadjar. Would have been much better.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm soon to be doing a track day in mine with a new go pro set up. How many memory cards did you get through? Assuming you were connected to a constant power supply for it too? My go pro 8 battery life is properly shocking

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Makes me want one of those MX5's, weirdly. BBR Super 225 kit is a good choice too.

The Clios alright I guess, does this mean you'll stop moaning about it ? ;)

Swift Sport
I think they're an underrated car those MX-5's. I've owned low mileage examples of Mk1's a Mk2 and a Mk3 and it's the Mk3 I enjoyed the most on track.
Very lively rear end too as Elliot also demonstrated.
He's my best effort...

31049010727_d8e2e470a6_o.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is the MX5 a standard 2.0 158hp Mk3? Trying to get my mate to sack of his ep3 for one.
Yes mate. It’s the 5 speed one though. We tried a few 6 speeds and the gearbox just didn’t feel great on track. Too much 4th and 5th work, presumably from the shorter ratios.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm soon to be doing a track day in mine with a new go pro set up. How many memory cards did you get through? Assuming you were connected to a constant power supply for it too? My go pro 8 battery life is properly shocking
We took the Mac book and downloaded the stuff every time we were having a break. As for batteries, they lasted about 2 hours? But we have 4 spares on permanent charge in the van so just swapped them round all day.

I’m going to get a power lead though, it’s too much faffing around for my liking. I’m there to kick my cars head in not make bloody videos. 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Get yourself a 256GB memory card too for easy life. Records over 4 hours @ 100Mbps which as long as you don't accidentally leave it recording in the pits will be more than enough for any track day.