ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitted new Components, now horn not working!!

Cli0
So ive finally got around to fitting me some new components a few days ago and now my horn is not working!. It was working fine before, never had an problem with it. Really frustrating

Ive checked the fuse and it was not that. I must have caught something and not known about it when i removed the plastic bit on the top of the steering wheel or when removing the dash.

M.O.T due soon to, dont relaly want to be spending MORE cash by taking it to an auto electrician which i probably will have to

mk2 ph1 1.4s

Help! :(

FF Clio 182
My horn stopped working after I removed it to take off acoustic valve, put it back on now nothing. Replaced horn and connectors still nothing. Can't imagine it is the squib as it worked before. Checked the fuse and that's fine

1.5 dci Expression
Sounds like the squib buddy! Although i can't imagine why you would take the steering wheel off just to have the top of the dash out! :S

Cli0
Sounds like the squib buddy! Although i can't imagine why you would take the steering wheel off just to have the top of the dash out! :S

I didn't remove the steering wheel.

Like Carl said, i just removed the little plastic bit of the top to get to the last remaining 2 screws in the dash.

Hi Mick, the horn was working fine before i started, and Ive never had a problem with it before. so I'm sure the horn is fine.
Cant have another look yet as its Pi**ing with rain!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Saying "but it worked fine before" isn't very scientific is it? Most items with a finite lifespan on your car will work perfectly before they break to ;)

You need to fault find the entire circuit in full so start at one end and work backwards... I always start with the fuse then at the Horn itself as it's easy to access. Once in the area it takes but 2 mins to test both the horn sounder and the circuits power/earth when you press the button.

You will need a multimeter to measure voltage and confirm the earth condition then a power probe to give the horn sounder an earth and a short burst of +12v to see if it comes to life.

Mick

FF Clio 182
Yeah I put a multimeter on the end of the horn cable and earthed to the body. Somebody pressed the horn and nothing. So must be a break in the line or on the squib

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not 100% true, it could also be a properly corroded connector so probe the wire itself and repeat the test. Did you also confirm that one of the two wires went to ground and the second went to the fused line?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Are you sure your earths are good though as putting to the bodywork isn't always ideal... did you actually test the earth and get a resistence value as close to 0 Ohms as possible? If you're confident the horn end is fine you need to move back in to the car toward the "switch" part of the circuit and test that and that it is linked to the horn itself to make sure it's continuous

FF Clio 182
Yeah pretty sure it's the switch end that's the problem. I replaced the horn, connectors and wire brushed where the horn bolts to the body to make sure it had a good earth

Cli0
***UPDATE***

HORN FIXED!!! :D:D

I spent a few minutes earlier today thinking, trying to backtrack on what i could have done to the car during install to stop the horn working...

I remembered a few days ago when i disconnected the battery, i dropped the spanner down into the car on the passenger side, and i wondered if that may have done something, so i had a look.

I took the passenger side fog light out to access the horn. I wiggled the wire that connects to the horn ever so slightly, tested the horn and it worked again!.

I Must have (ever ever ever so slightly) caught the wire or something when i put my hand down to retrieve the spanner back.

I cant tell you how happy i was when i pressed the horn and it worked. I was just about to buy a new squib to replace and try that. :)