ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a splitter to a 182 Cup

After a few balls ups with my 182 Cup I'm (hopefully) going to collect a new splitter from my local dealer tonight, I've noticed on the bottom of the bumper there is a row of bolts, which hopefully just undo and I just attach the splitter and tighten the bolts up again. Can anyone confirm this is the case? I'm just a little worried that I undo one of the bolts and then bumper drops off or something, and I'm not paying £40 for some monkey from my local dealer to do it.

Many thanks, Chris.

Megane225FF
you dont need to undo the bolts under the bumper. The splitter has recessess exactly where the bolts are, so the splitter sits around the bolts (these help you line the splitter up with the bumper too)
Pilot hole drill the splitter while its not under the car*
*top tip

Clio 172 mk2
I'm going to be fitting a splitter soon and am a bit concerned about it being held on by self tappers.

Are they up to the job? I don't want to catch something and have half my bumper ruined as the screws pull through it.

What about removing the bumper to fit..is that a hard job to do?

Megane225FF
I've introduced my splitter to one or two kerb's & its not ripped off yet..
I've got about 12 screws in there though...
You dont need to take the bumper off to fit it.. you just need to be able to get a screwdriver under the front of your bus...

Clio 172 mk2
I can access the front of the car enough to get a drill and secrewdriver underneath....I just wasn't sure that the screws would be enough to hold it on properly.

I was thinking about removing the bumper and using smal allen head bolts through the bumper to hold it on securely....just not sure I can be arsed to take the bumper off.

Is removing the bumper difficult.

Megane225FF
Removing the front bumper's not too difficult.. easier when you've done it a few times.. its just time consuming when you dont need to do it...
10 mins to fit splitter..
took me 30 mins to get my bumper off 1st time (but I'm a clown though)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
don't bother using self tappers, I didn't, I used big washers with screws and plenty of them. Just line the splitter up, tape it in place, drill through and screw in place. I did about 12 screws as I don't want it coming off or anyone swiping it. It was easy for me though as I used a mates ramp to raise the car to shoulder height.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd stick with the self tappers myself . If you do come into contact with something hard enough to damage the splitter like a kerb at least it will only damage / rip off the splitter not the bumper , if its fastened on too securely , like with the bolts mentioned it might try and rip the bumper off also .The self tappers being the weak part will give first .

Just my opinion .

Cheers Guys

After a bit of messing about I've got it sorted, but to be honest it'll probably fall off soon, as they don't seem that strong and the mounting points do feel weak.

Many thanks!

I think its better to have someone help when fit because it won't bend in. I used at least 8 screws.

Clio 172 mk2
Still confused on what to do here.

30 mins to take the bumper off doesn't sound too bad.

How many bolts are there to remove to take it off?