ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Coilovers - Help needed

SC 172 FF
afternoon all...

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to 'mechanics' so could do with the following advice as I'm pretty sure i haven't fitted these 100% correct!

have i fitted the spring correctly? - i fitted with the adjuster at the top

Also took these pieces of the old shock but didn't use them on the new shocks, just want to check that should be ok?

and one last question / concern, the bolt that holds the shock in place won't tighten fully??

Thanks in advance

Matt

Attachments

• 31012010770.jpg
    31012010770.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 31012010771.jpg
    31012010771.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 31012010772.jpg
    31012010772.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 31012010767.jpg
    31012010767.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 31012010768.jpg
    31012010768.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 52
  Cooksport Fleet
The height adjuster on the back is incorrect.

Height Adjuster should go on the bottom. The Bolt and washer go through the axle and bolt into the adjuster to keep it in place.

Quite difficult to explain, im sure someone will come alone with pictures soon :)

Da

Less
The allen bolt holds the mount to the rear beam, the adjuster goes ontop of that (screws up/down) and the spring then sits on that.
Basically the rear platforms are upside down!

Which bolt wont tighten?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's meant to go at the bottom of the spring, the other way round.

The bolt and washer goes through the hole in the Suspension beam.

What are those random rusty things?

The bolts that hold the shocks on?
Do you mean the ones in the boot?

Edit: Just re-read your 1st post, are you driving it with the springs how they are on pic 3?

Last edited:
  Cooksport Fleet
I would probably get someone else to do it mate.

Suspension isnt something you want to get that wrong.

Fred isnt far from you is he?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Jeeeeeze!!! I just cant fathom why someone with no knowledge would try and fit something thats so vital

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Il try and get a pic of my my ktec rears later. I cant have the death of some one resting on my mind...

SC 172 FF
looks like im off to a good start then! ha....

thanks for the quick replies...

don't worry i haven't driven anywhere and don't plan to yet! lol

Da - originaly fitted them with adjuster at bottom, then tried other way around then left as was getting dark....will switch back again tomorrow and i think you know what you mean with the allen bolt holds the mount to the rear beam

Da - DrRollo - the bolts in the boot yes at the top of the shock! if that makes sense?

Cookie - your right mate, can't drive it anywhere though as my front spring has snapped into pieces! ...plan is to hopefully fit these coilovers then take to garage down rd to check over etc

thanks again guys :)

182 FF
if i was local i'd have lent you a hand.

seriously people, he's started it so he needs to finish it b4 he kills himself, anyone got any images to help him along or just good advice, its easy to knock someone:approve:

SC 172 FF
lol thanks for all your concerns guys, i may be stupid when it comes to fixing cars but not as stupid to go out driving it before im sure i have it correct...

i like to get stuck in and have a mess....if im not sure when i've 'finished' i'll get my mate round to help

and no haven't done the fronts yet so any pics / guides would be a big help ;)

182 FF
i had a quick look on youtube for ya, nothing clio specific though, some guidance on other models that mite help

SC 172 FF
Kris , Da - big thanks for these pics, especially if you've taken the time to go and take them now! ....

this makes much more sense now!

Matt :)

Da

Less
No probs Matt, glad to help :)

And yes, I have just been outside crawling around under my car :eek: lol!

SC 172 FF
thanks to you as well Kris...I've just been outside...snow everywhere and its -2!! ...looks like finishing this may have to wait until the weekend!

SC 172 FF
don't worry mate, if I'm really stuck there's a few mates i can call upon....and if it comes to it there's a garage 1min away from my house i can take it to :)

SC 172 FF
haha, today i had 3 jumpers a coat and a thermal t-shirt...was really warm....wish i could have said the same for my hands!