ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Coilovers resulting in Lighter Steering

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Hey folks,

A friend of mine has some coil-overs fitted to his Clio giving it a great ride height which I'd like... however his steering feel is incredibly light compared to mine.

Is this a result of fitting coilovers, or is something else at play here?

What are other peoples experiences of going from a standard Renaultsport Clio Mk2 suspension to coilovers?

Cheers,
Rhauri

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I predict he has positive camber, has he had the alignment done?

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Not yet since owning the car (came with coilovers already fitted). It was my advice to him too, so he took it to National Tyres (with the £15 voucher) and they refused to do it because the car was on coilovers!!

My worry is if its a castor thing, i.e. if reducing the ride height reduces the caster and therefore steering feel and weight?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
He wants to take it to a place with a hunter system anyways, expect a £60 bill for it. Pretty confident its the camber or maybe toeing as the same thing happened on when I fitted coilovers on my 1.2.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It'll be as above mate, take somewhere proper... LoL at "it's on Coilovers"

Clio 172 Ph2
My local formula one autocentre has a Hunters system and they did mine the other day after I'd fitted coilovers, ball joints, tie rod ends etc.

They corrected the Toe but left the Camber on -1º 14' and -1º 35'. :/ I believe standard for a 172 Mk2 is around -0º 15' to -0º 20' or something?

It was £39.95 + VAT (so 47.94)

I would have tried to find a 'better' place to do it but just didn't want to drive it very far until it had been checked!

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 2002
Unless the car has adjustable top mounts and/or camber bolts fitted there is no adjustment for anything other than front toe.

A “better” place won’t be able to adjust camber or caster either.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Unless the car has adjustable top mounts and/or camber bolts fitted there is no adjustment for anything other than front toe.

A “better” place won’t be able to adjust camber or caster either.

You're 5 years too late......