ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Coilovers

Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
Me and my dad normally do most things on my car, so i was wondering is it easy enough to fit coilovers? or is it worth taking it to the garage and paying £100 to get it done?

Easy enough.

You'll need

18mm spanner
19mm spanner
21mm swan neck spanner & 6mm allen key (for top mount nut)

Took me just over an 1hr to do front and back.

Bit of WD-40 the night before will help you speed up getting the tough nuts off :)

Nope as you are simply replacing the the whole strut rather than replacing the springs.

There is a top hat that keeps the springs in situ, there are only 3 nuts that need you need to undo.

Top mount nut
2 x strut bolts(that mount to the hub)

e92 330i
I'd use spring compressors, you need the top mount rubber thing off your old strut, if you dont use compressors you'll be looking everywhere for that nut

Are you referring to use the rear springs without using the mounts given, fine if you want the extra lows many do it.

Sorry yeah as George says, you will need to use spring compressors if you want to re-use your top rubber mount (this part in at the top of the strut once removed.

Looks like this

E_457RE006.jpg

I used new top mounts so didn't think :eek:

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
i just want it so the wheel is flush with the wheel arch, or may be a touch lower, whats the best way in your opinion

For it so sit flush you may need to take the rear adjusters out, yet you have standard wheels so they would be tucked in the arch but still low. Spacers may have your wheel sitting properly flush with the arch.

Firstly what do you want? Looks or Drive-ability. If you want looks any set will be fine, if you're wanting ride quality you way need to spend more pennies.

the difference between those and actual proper adjustable coilovers can be hundreds of pounds. I wouldn't spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on your 1.2.
​The coilovers above will do fine. Save buying the expensive ones for when you have a car that's worth spending the cash on.

also to your query above: I left mine into a garage and had them put in proper. Cost me £70 mates rates.

cheers mate this has helped me load will get some pictures on when its done :D

Good stuff, bear in mind mate - you are required to dictate any and all modifications to your insurance. If you bin that 1.2 into so much as a gatepost, and it comes out you had a modified car and the insurance didnt know - it won't be valid and you'll have effectively been driving without insurance.

It will put your premium up so it might be prudent to call them AHEAD of time and find out just how much. I did it after the fact and ended up being told my insurer wouldnt cover ANY changes to the vehicle and invalidated my insurance. Whoops!
Insured with a real company now though.