ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting PMS top mounts with AST Coilovers - can u help me?

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
Hi,
Hoping someone who has experience with this combination can help me.
I've been running Bilstein B14 coilovers and Pure Motorsport top mounts for the past few years and have just bought a set of AST 5100 coilovers as I wanted something more track focused for competing.
My query concerns fitting the AST strut to the PMS top mounts.
The PMS top mount has a small sleeve/spacer that fits underneath the mount and then the strut is secured by a sleeved threaded nut from the top of the mount.
The inside diameter of the sleeve/spacer underneath is an exact fit for the smooth part of the strut (the bit below the threaded part) for both the factory strut as well as the Bilstein B14.
Problem is the AST spline is narrower and as such the bottom sleeve sits 'loose'.
Has anyone come across this issue and what did you do about it, did you just fit it anyway with the sleeve being loose?
I called Nick at PMS and he said it should be fine to bolt together but can't help but be concerned the assembly may not align properly when I fasten everything up with the sleeve being loose.
I've attached a photo looking down at an angle from the top of the AST strut where you can see the gap I'm referring to.
AST strut.jpeg

Many thanks!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I had this and got a pair made up. Although I spoke to Curtis at AST and he does stock them he said.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Anyone know which PMS option I need to fit the solid top mounts and brace to AST 5100 coil overs please, is it the M14 or M12?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I have K-tec topmounts with my Ast5100s and have the similar loose bottom but, as said above, the top nut holds it all central and I've been running it like this for a year without any problems..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've just fitted my PMS top mounts to my AST. How much are you meant to do the central nut up to torque wise?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I've just fitted my PMS top mounts to my AST. How much are you meant to do the central nut up to torque wise?
Ratatat on a dewalt rattle gun.. I dont actually think there is a definitive answer..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk