ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting the power steering pump pulley

Clio 182
I read there is a special tool needed to fit the power steering pump pulley.
Is this to space it out or centralise it?

can anyone shed any light on this and can it be done without it?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yes it's a special tool. I have it. Renault might do it for you, but they kept getting them wrong for me so I bought one for myself

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
521761_426122637441563_46711051_n.jpg

Clio 182
I dont get why its needed, the pulley has no play on that plate and can only line up with the 3 holes.
or is the tool for fitting the plate with the 3 holes. Can you explain how its done for me please danny :)

ive removed my pump tonight and want to fit a new one but unsure on the process now regarding this tool and the pulley.

Clio 182
Oh i see, so if I get a used pump I don't need to worry as its already pressed on.
if I buy new I need to fit my spindle onto the hub.

have I got this right? and do all new ones even recons come without the spindle fitted.

thanks guys

I thought at one point I needed to change my steering pump so did all the necessary looking into it.

You need a puller to get it off, and I found the part no for the tool needed to press it back on, Its: Dir. 1083-01 and was around £30 when I asked.

Untitled-1_zpsb42acffb.jpg

I came to the conclusion that a second hand pump would be the cheapest option (obviously) but my noise ended up to be something else.

Clio 182
Nice link cheers mate :).

ideally I want new but sourcing the tool looks a headache and a mistake will mean certain death for the belt but a crappy used pump won't help me either.

catch 22 here

Yep I had the same feelings when I thought I needed mine changing, I dont know myself but someone might know on here if that tool above to push the flange on is just so it can be done without a press?

Could a garage with a press push the new flange on or special tool only?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you'll never get the flange off an old one, just order a new one, it'll save you time and hastle when you have to order it later

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Correct. order a new flange 1 you can line it up better.
2 they always break. you can't use a press other wise it pushes the shaft out the back of the pump.

RenaultSport clio 17
Hi Guys i was wondering if someone has the flange no. as i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

RenaultSport clio 17
I mean to say who knows the flange part number as i purchased a new pump. I can't believe they don't come already pressed in.

Clio 182
I'm not sure but it has a 2 year warranty and doesn't whine like the original.
It was on exchange though so it may be original casing but refurbished elsewhere.