ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flames from exhausts?

What is it that actually causes this to happen?

Only asking because my mates 106 Gti does it regular and he doesn't know why either. It generally does it when he changes gear at high rpm, it makes a loud bang with a lick of flame from his tail pipe usually followed by a bit of black smoke.

He has said it runs rich so I presumed the flaming was due to unburnt fuel getting in to the exhaust and with the temp of the exhaust is what causes the fuel to ignite. That's just an assumption as I know my theory is probably well off the mark.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
My old valver used to do it all the time. A massive pop followed by a blue flame about a foot long :cool: roll on the nova!

BG182®
My 206 GTi did this soon as I got a decat. Mostly un-burnt fuel was my problem. a month later the baffles in my backbox turned to a state like mouldy waffles ,which made it worse... and smell.

Dodgy one
My 6 did it Mith the magnex and a decat, Sounded bloody great, YES I AM A CHILD lol

182s dont do it i take it decatted?

ITB'd MK1
it's down to exhaust heat. you can map it in so the exhaust gets hot on the over-run, then a tap of the throttle throws some fuel in, and pop bang flame

Focus RS mk1
my 172 does it, started to ruin the paint on the bumper now tho but looks pretty cool when it happens, ive got decat and running cams

ClioSport 172 Cup
I`m tempted to do a decat but it just seems alot of hassle for 5bhp, if that and if you get pulled by the fez which is highly likely considering the noise increase... your buggered.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I`m tempted to do a decat but it just seems alot of hassle for 5bhp, if that and if you get pulled by the fez which is highly likely considering the noise increase... your buggered.

I gained 5bhp and 1lb/ft of torque after removing my de-cat, same rollers used but I did also used a slightly different RSTuner map.

Evo 8 MR
Mine popped for the first time tonight and I wasn't even trying, was the other day lol, I'm not sure if it released a flame but the noise the zorst makes since getting the decat is immense.

It's not the figures, it's the noise imo, that's why I got mine. Sick of being overshadowed by them bloody RS's lol.

BMW M135i
The 225 does it nicely when the exhausts hot on H&T downshifts, did it for england on vpower racing fuel at the ring (100+ ron I believe? cost enough!)

RB 182
I can imagine it gets annoying after a while, I know it would be for me personally and it would become tiresome having to replace the back box after it melted the baffles in it.

Had a ride in Dans car the other week and does sound nice! Mine burbles and has the odd pop when cold :eek:

SQ5
I've been spitting some 6-10 footers out tonight. Had it on constant coming down for about 20-30 seconds too!

Decat/Supercharger etc...

Clio 182
Stock Civic VTi without cat does it sometimes. My S13 (well with chip and a lot of overfueling) did it all the time when I was downshifting with tap on the gas or when you want to slow down. Sometimes it even frightened me. It's anoying when you see cops, try to downshift/slow down and it does BANG! :D

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
the myth is you need alot of fuel (unless your exhaust is UBER hot) as fuel cools the exhaust down and stops the flames.

With the ignition retarded the flame is fired much later on in the cycle and with it not being used for power you will get pops. However too much r****d doesnt work either.

Add to this the EGT's that are caused by this very fact and when the fuel does collect you get a large bang or flame.

This is massively accentuated on the turbo (anti-lag) and it can be done on superchargers.

With the supercharger you are pressurising the air all the time, add some part throttle ignition r****d and a light throttle to let the air through and you have some enormous bang and flames......

(Although I am not sure extended use would be good for the exhaust valves)

Andy

Clio Sport 172
it's down to exhaust heat. you can map it in so the exhaust gets hot on the over-run, then a tap of the throttle throws some fuel in, and pop bang flame

haha call me a child too but i want my 172 to do this, my mates astra vxr does it all the time! so what is the best way to make it happen?