ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

flat battery

Clio 182
Right need i need a bit of help.

My Battery keeps going flat. If i drive the car and start it again its fine. But if i leave it alone for a few hours it dead. Thought the battery may be on its way out so got a new one but still doing the same thing. Have had a look at the things you think of like interior lights and boot light but all fine. Just seeing if anyone knows what else i should check?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Alternator? If its not putting enough charge in the battery each time it will gradually get worse.

Try removing the earth lead overnight to see if that makes a difference. If its still flat, you know its not charging. If it fires up first time, you know you've got an electrical gremlin somewhere.

Clio 182
Ye thats what i was thinking but as i say once i push start her and drive for 5min I can turn the engine off and it will start again fine. So think altrnator is charging it ok but somthing is pulling power when its off. Just cant think what.

put a volt meter across your battery when the car is running if the alternator is ok i think it should be reading about 13v or get some one to rev a bit and the volt should increase slightly

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
As above or go to a garage and ask them to do a drop test.

Clio 182
I put a meter on in and am getting 12.5 with engine off and 14.4 with in on.
just need to find whats pulling power. So just seeing if anyone knows what to look at first.

Clio 182
Right have found that its the alternator pulling 2.5amps when the engine is off. Does anyone know why it would do that and can it be fixed or do i need a new one?

Clio 182
Just been to my local scrap yard to see if they have an alternator. They do have a sport there but the engine has gone. Did see another Clio with what looks like the same alternator. Does anyone know what if any other Clios used the same one?