ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

focus rs or trophy?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
you tried the Bilstein B14's? I've fitted them to a few of my cars in the past and been more than happy with the results.
haven't tried them mate but It would have to be as good if not better than the trophy set up. I'd love to drive a properly set up 1*2 with coilovers as mine wasnt a patch on the trophy when running budget vmaxx

haven't tried them mate but It would have to be as good if not better than the trophy set up. I'd love to drive a properly set up 1*2 with coilovers as mine wasnt a patch on the trophy when running budget vmaxx

My 1.2 on FKs would probably have handled better than your 1*2 on VMaxx coilovers buddy.

H&R, Bilsteins, KWs and ASTs will all wipe the floor with the budget coilovers. There is just no point in comparing them and writing off coilovers for the Trophy :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The whole point of the Trophy is the suspension, so dont get rid of it lol ...

Re: FRS vs. Trophy. Personally, id have the Trophy, less to break, much cheaper to run, etc etc. They are all the same as well, some FRS's are good, some are bad, apparently (i've never tried one).

Re: Trophy vs. 172 Cup. Cup is the better drivers car imho, purely as you have to use your brain more to go quickly, T is fairly idiot proof. Hence why i added the Whiteline to wake it up a little. Its a very very good car though, esp. if you dont want to modify.

I also like the lovely shade of pink that the T comes in :eek:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My 1.2 on FKs would probably have handled better than your 1*2 on VMaxx coilovers buddy.

H&R, Bilsteins, KWs and ASTs will all wipe the floor with the budget coilovers. There is just no point in comparing them and writing off coilovers for the Trophy :)
I was looking at H+R's mate, I've had kw's before but not on a clio but was very impressed.

Maybe I will give them a try, what's the worst that can happen

330i. E30 Touring.
Why get rid of the Trophy susp? It's awesome!

If you must go lower, MF springs/custom springs.

The whole point of the Trophy is the suspension, so dont get rid of it lol ...

Re: FRS vs. Trophy. Personally, id have the Trophy, less to break, much cheaper to run, etc etc. They are all the same as well, some FRS's are good, some are bad, apparently (i've never tried one).

Re: Trophy vs. 172 Cup. Cup is the better drivers car imho, purely as you have to use your brain more to go quickly, T is fairly idiot proof. Hence why i added the Whiteline to wake it up a little. Its a very very good car though, esp. if you dont want to modify.

I also like the lovely shade of pink that the T comes in :eek:

Corrected ;)

A word that might be used on Dave's if I ever get round to it!

Iceberg 172
Why get rid of the Trophy susp? It's awesome!

If you must go lower, MF springs/custom springs.

What makes the trophy suspension so great!? Surely a set of ASTs or Bilsteins would kick the arse out of the sach setup and it'd look 100x better too!

I've never driven a Trophy and I'm not being an arse... Just curious as IMO you're paying for the exclusivity. I'm not saying it's a bad car to buy because if you look after it you probably won't lose much money but for the sake of suspension, wheels and seats I can't see them being worth that much more than a regular 1*2! especially when they only come in pink!!!

Iceberg 172
I've just realised who you are!!!

(sorry about the cup) :(

Glad to hear you're getting another motor. Have you seen the prices of DC5's recently? I remember you saying you used to have a DC2?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
IMO i would go for the Trophy as the Focus RS is now like the Scooby WRX / STi, Everyone has them!!

Go for something outside the box and something you know will be alot of fun

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
What makes the trophy suspension so great!? Surely a set of ASTs or Bilsteins would kick the arse out of the sach setup and it'd look 100x better too!

I've never driven a Trophy and I'm not being an arse... Just curious as IMO you're paying for the exclusivity. I'm not saying it's a bad car to buy because if you look after it you probably won't lose much money but for the sake of suspension, wheels and seats I can't see them being worth that much more than a regular 1*2! especially when they only come in pink!!!
Aha.
Needs to be driven really

120d M Sport
IMO i would go for the Trophy as the Focus RS is now like the Scooby WRX / STi, Everyone has them!!

Go for something outside the box and something you know will be alot of fun

I agree, I'm a ford lover myself but at shows I've been to loadsa 'chav dad' types seem to own them

172 Cup, RB 182 Cup
I would personally buy a Trophy as you'll get a better looked after T for say £6k than a £7k-£8k Focus and the T will have less miles at that price.

Having previously owned a Trophy, I didn't really realise what I was missing til it was gone. Sad times.

Saying that, if I wanted a weekend toy, the Focus would get my vote after playing with the power...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Chavs, boyracer, Essex boy types have always driven fast fords like the FRS. You can hardly say everyone has them as i'm sure they didn't sell all that many. I would have to drive one to make my mind up but in the main it depends how deep your pockets are and how much your prepared to empty them...

260% JCW
The Focus RS is great car and i wouldn't say everyone has one, they made less than 5000 worldwide. Fair enough they only made 500 Trohpy's.
Suspension wise it also has Sachs racing dampers and a Quife ATB, Id also say the interior is far better than the Trophy's interior.
Its also quicker then the Clio 0-60 in 6.4 and its quicker around the Top gear track then any Clio Rs, 200 inc.

Dont get me wrong Im a fan of the Trophy, but the Focus does it for me.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Pah, in the grand scheme of things AST's arent even a particularly expensive brand of kit when compared to Ohlins/Nitron/Moton, etc, just in the clio world ;) love the way everyone bums them ...

Phone up Sachs & ask them to price up two front Trophy dampers, its a great setup, & one that costs a fortune new! Remote reservoir ftw.

PS. You need to drive one :approve:

A SHED!
I've just realised who you are!!!

(sorry about the cup) :(

Glad to hear you're getting another motor. Have you seen the prices of DC5's recently? I remember you saying you used to have a DC2?

hey matey, how are ya? yea used to have a dc2. its the dc5 insurance which i reckon would be a killer. Id love another dc2 ?(ukdm) but finding a good one is getting difficult.

keo

Clio Trophy
I love my Trophy i thought about getting an RS a few years ago, i like them but there is just something about them why i couldnt bring myself to buy one, cant put my finger on it

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Pah, in the grand scheme of things AST's arent even a particularly expensive brand of kit when compared to Ohlins/Nitron/Moton, etc, just in the clio world ;) love the way everyone bums them ...

Phone up Sachs & ask them to price up two front Trophy dampers, its a great setup, & one that costs a fortune new! Remote reservoir ftw.

I think its more to do with peoples obsession with coilovers in general, believing them to always be better than a traditional McPherson strut. I would say only the premium brands are going to compare with the trophy dampers. Bilstein and KW. AST is more track focused so is harsher out the box and not so comparable (the other two being fast road focused like the Sachs)

Iceberg 172
Ok so I understand my opinion / veiw is worth f**k all as I've not driven a Trophy but all I'm trying to say is this... A Trophy is only a 1*2 with fancy suspension. Yes it's exclusive, it has lush seats and the best wheels to grace the arches of the Clio.

But the thing that makes it such a good driving car compared to the normal 1*2 is it's trick suspension.

So maybe some of my comparisons are wrong (tbh, ive been on every car forum for every car I've had and never heard of ast before!) but surely there's some companies out there who can make suspension for a Clio which will be better than the Trophy!?

So what I'm trying to say is... You're just paying for the exclusivity of the Trophy really.

Renault haven't made the Trophy that much different to a STD 1*2 where as the FRS is a million miles from anything else in the focus range.

That's all I'm trying to say!!!! Yes I'm sure it's a fantastic tool out of the box but I do not consider it to be worth the extra money considering how cheap you can get a mint low mileage Cup if you want pov spec!! (joke)

Iceberg 172
Ok so I understand my opinion / veiw is worth f**k all as I've not driven a Trophy but all I'm trying to say is this... A Trophy is only a 1*2 with fancy suspension. Yes it's exclusive, it has lush seats and the best wheels to grace the arches of the Clio.

But the thing that makes it such a good driving car compared to the normal 1*2 is it's trick suspension.

So maybe some of my comparisons are wrong (tbh, ive been on every car forum for every car I've had and never heard of ast before!) but surely there's some companies out there who can make suspension for a Clio which will be better than the Trophy!?

So what I'm trying to say is... You're just paying for the exclusivity of the Trophy really.

Renault haven't made the Trophy that much different to a STD 1*2 where as the FRS is a million miles from anything else in the focus range.

That's all I'm trying to say!!!! Yes I'm sure it's a fantastic tool out of the box but I do not consider it to be worth the extra money considering how cheap you can get a mint low mileage Cup if you want pov spec!! (joke)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Steve- u are entirely correct, a trophy is a clio with funky suspension, thats it. Its also the most expensive as its the newest, dont forget that!

Ive driven and/or owned most of the great hot hatches of our time, & im improving many things on the car, but the sachs are staying, its a very good setup.

Just drive one, pref with a whiteline, its brilliant.

For reference, i couldnt give a rats arse about the colour, seats or wheels, all are ruined/sold on mine.

Iceberg 172
Yeah the age is very true, and it will obviously hold it's value as it is so exclusive.

But do you like the Sach as it's a good comprimise? I mean everyone says that it's brilliant for driving fast on road as it's firm when needed but soft over bumps etc... but would it be better with stiffer suspension or different dampers which may not be as comfortable but better in terms of going fast round corners!?

TBH, as previous posts about suspension from me in different threads I'm more about the look than the performance and tbh my KTEC coilies are more than good enough for me (I'm not a hero on the road and I don't go on track in it yet as it's my only car) so IMO the Sach's aren't good for me as the ride height is all wrong.

I'm just curious that's all. Not trying to say the Trophy isn't the best of the range as it clearly is (depending on what you want i guess!), it's the most expensive, newest, rarest and will hold it's money the best.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Not trying to say the Trophy isn't the best of the range as it clearly is (depending on what you want i guess!), it's the most expensive, newest, rarest and will hold it's money the best.

Exactly why i would buy one over a FRS ;-)

120d M Sport

True say! When I mentioned KW coilovers to MickPM off here he categorized them as a budget option lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Done me there! The amount I've read about the Type 25 and I've never taken in that it uses ASTs! I stand corrected!

Yup, Curtis worked out Powerstation for years, Lichfield was in the same building, Curtis then started doing AST ...

Going back to the Trophy. Your comment about Ktec coilies & lows says it all Steve, you wont ever get the pink go-kart if you're only interested in looks ;)

Iceberg 172
Lol... That's very true Dave! Only because my Clio does exactly what I want it to do.

I just think that a normal 1*2 with s**t hot suspension and decent Tyres would be just as good if not better than the trophy in terms of handling. I mean it's not as if they've done anything else to it to make it such a good drivers car!!!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Id also say the interior is far better than the Trophy's interior.

Really?

_Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8_Vs_2004_Lamborghini_Gallardo_10z_2004_Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8+Interior_View.jpg

:dead:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I just think that a normal 1*2 with s**t hot suspension and decent Tyres would be just as good if not better than the trophy in terms of handling.

For road use, the Sachs is a very good compromise that offers the best of all worlds. For track use, you simply change the front damping/fit higher poundage springs & adjustable rear dampers - they you can make it as hard/soft as you like.

I mean it's not as if they've done anything else to it to make it such a good drivers car!!!!

Its good anyway though, so by fitting better suspension it stands to reason that the car would end up better. Surely?

Lets be honest, i was looking to change my Sachs for something more track focused, but by simply adding a Whiteline i've made it the car i wanted it to be.

Sometimes people just change things for the sake of changing them.
What is actually wrong with a standard 1*2 suspension setup, yup thats right, not much.