ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Focus RS Vs CUP

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

But a lot of great cars were considered "dangerous" in their time...

The Porsche 911 was notorious in the 80s and the AC Cobra killed loads of people, but they are still hailed as superb cars and now classics.

I wouldnt like to race an RS Focus! From what ive read, its impossible to keep in a straight line when you boot it.

I just dont see how you can put 200bhp + through the front tyres and not expect it to handle like a piece of crap. I had an Integrale, with 210bhp and there was no way you could drive it without 4wd, ford are eejits for using fwd.

:cry:

i think its the overly aggressive diff. When its on boost it tramlines and torque steers like its possesed i didnt like it. You might get used to it but i think that after a while youll go back to just driving it smoothly then its all a bit normal. :cry:

Its FWD because to fit 4WD to the MK1 Focus would have made the cost of the car about £100,000 each. Its wasnt designed to take 4WD, the mk2 (not yet out) apparently is. And I have driven MK3 Fiestas with up to 185bhp no problem, my mate has a FWD MK2 Golf Gti with 195bhp and its great fun. You have to drive within your and the cars limits - just like 4WD.

i bet the RS megane is wicked .. its being tuned to the sh*tty UK rds.. Unlike the RS which spent its time on some belgium race track

Ive got a positively antique 1984 MK1 Astra with 230bhp going through the front wheels and as long as you have some semblance of road conditions and tyre limitations going through your head its blisteringly fast, even without LSD fitted.

With high-powered cars people expect them them to have leech-like grip, like slick tyres, and somebody not used to the characteristics of the Focus (turbo FWD car, LSD) who just goes out and plants it is going to be scared sh*tless by the torque steer!

Like I said, my Astra is a right handful on B-roads but Id rather have that, and a sense of really having to fight the b*****d to drive it at full moo than have the feeling that as a driver, you might as well not be there. Not that Im saying this about the Clio however! Like I said, the Clio would be more fun in terms of driver involvement, the RS better if all youre interested in is covering ground quickly.

Incidentally, the Quaife LSD fitted to the Focus is an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) unit, and is supposed to be a lot more progressive than earlier plate-type units.

The real advantage of the Quaife diff in the RS is putting the power down out of corners - the RS would be well up on a Cup before it found anything like the traction.

on real twisties though the weight and height and basic un-nimbleness of the RS would be its downfall. I saw it on TV vs the CTR and to me the CTR looked better rd the twisties, long sweepers the RS.