ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Focus ST v Clio 182

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Lol tbf this thread is a load of bolloks now.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Saxo VTR with an unplugged ABS fuse.

Who's driving? Has the ST been mapped? Both standard? Which track?

AC on or off?

who's got their back seats down?

911 GT3 RS

Cup packed?

Xenons on? Less visibility.

Racing track, off-road dirt track or velodrome?

Clio in all months beginning with d

my twingo wit the back seats slid all the way back for best ballance, chews both them up and spits them out

Jesus on his donkey.

Clio all day init.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why because we're having a debate and discussion? If you don't like it, leave.

So CS knowledge > Ford marketing.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It's the end user that will define where it's placed.

Well yeah, in part of course.

But as adult, would i buy a fiesta ST? Of course not, i can insure a proper hot hatch. At 19, would i buy a fiesta ST? Yeah quite possibly. In fact at 18 i bought a fiesta 1.6 si as the insurance on a 106 Gti was too great, at 21, i bought the 106 gti as i could afford the insurance, then at 23 i progressed to a 182.

But why is the insurance cheaper i ask, & why are the youngsters subsequently buying the car. Oh yeah, marketing.

lol.

MCS R56
Why because we're having a debate and discussion? If you don't like it, leave.

So CS knowledge > Ford marketing.

Why are you generalising a forum vs. a marketing team? You're not really getting this. Just because Ford aim the car at a certain age group (which is fine) and say they don't want to compete with Renault for sales reasons doesn't automatically mean their car falls into a made-up category because it's a touch slower than a bunch of cars of similar engine size, shape, size, performance.

I think I'll agree to disagree with you. You're welcome to think what you want, as am I.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn't aimed at any age group. It's cheaper to tax, insure and fuel than a Clio and has less horse power. If that's competing then they're really bad at it.

They physically restricted the breathing of the car to keep the Bhp down. You'll notice the Focus ST mk1 runs a restricted RS unit? Not competing with the 250 Megane which was built and left a small amount of room to up it's Bhp.

the marketing team know better because it worked. Look at what Dave just posted, that happens in the real world when people want a fast hatch but can't afford the quickest. I agree that people can compare if they want but they are comparing 2 things that aren't evenly matched.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
We are not interested in trying to match rival models like the Renaultsport Clio 200, because we need the Fiesta ST to be affordable, to be cheap to insure and to do so in all markets. And anyway, the Fiesta is 100kg lighter than the Clio RS. I am convinced our car will be better to drive!

I'm with Gaz on this one lol why would he say were not trying to rival the Clio and then start comparing the 2? Lol open your eyes lads.

I also didn't know that the clio wasn't affordable lol.

MCS R56

Well yeah, in part of course.

But as adult, would i buy a fiesta ST? Of course not, i can insure a proper hot hatch. At 19, would i buy a fiesta ST? Yeah quite possibly. In fact at 18 i bought a fiesta 1.6 si as the insurance on a 106 Gti was too great, at 21, i bought the 106 gti as i could afford the insurance, then at 23 i progressed to a 182.

But why is the insurance cheaper i ask, & why are the youngsters subsequently buying the car. Oh yeah, marketing.

lol.

More likely they headed to a forum and asked the question, 'who has a Clio Sport at 19?' and everyone said, £4000 to insure, best waiting until you are older and go for the cheaper option, the ST. It performs really well, is only a touch slower as it's down to the driver mostly and is much nicer on the interior.

Look, yes, an amount of initial marketing made everyone aware (not what is being discussed here, maybe back to Uni for you) that there would be a sporty Fiesta that is cheap to run but so what. It's either a performance hatch back or it's not. It doesn't matter who buys it or how much the insurance is.

Swift Sport
Why are you generalising a forum vs. a marketing team? You're not really getting this. Just because Ford aim the car at a certain age group (which is fine) and say they don't want to compete with Renault for sales reasons doesn't automatically mean their car falls into a made-up category because it's a touch slower than a bunch of cars of similar engine size, shape, size, performance.

I think I'll agree to disagree with you. You're welcome to think what you want, as am I.

You are correct, the end.

MCS R56
We are not interested in trying to match rival models like the Renaultsport Clio 200, because we need the Fiesta ST to be affordable, to be cheap to insure and to do so in all markets. And anyway, the Fiesta is 100kg lighter than the Clio RS. I am convinced our car will be better to drive!

I'm with Gaz on this one lol why would he say were not trying to rival the Clio and then start comparing the 2? Lol open your eyes lads.

I also didn't know that the clio wasn't affordable lol.

Exactly what I'm saying here. They want a cheaper car but to still be better than the Clio, so they are competing which places it in the same category before you even look at the actual car. Marketing genius - not so much.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn't aimed at any age group. It's cheaper to tax, insure and fuel than a Clio and has less horse power. If that's competing then they're really bad at it.

They physically restricted the breathing of the car to keep the Bhp down. You'll notice the Focus ST mk1 runs a restricted RS unit? Not competing with the 250 Megane which was built and left a small amount of room to up it's Bhp.

the marketing team know better because it worked. Look at what Dave just posted, that happens in the real world when people want a fast hatch but can't afford the quickest. I agree that people can compare if they want but they are comparing 2 things that aren't evenly matched.

Focus ST mk1?

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Having owned both, I'd have more confidence in keeping the foot in with the clio (was on H&Rs) as its just so light and would always turn in. When I got my Focus ST it was sligthly quicker than my 172 cup as my mate was driving it on the motorway, but now as its modified its an animal. I still say you'd have far more fun in the clio though :)

But boost <3

Clio would be more fun on a track.

Focus is more fun making cyclists s**t themselves with the bangs.

/ned

172 cup
CLIO 172/182/197/200 - corsa vxr fiesta st - polo gti - audi s1 etc

MEGANE 225/230/250/265 -astra vxr - Focus st - golf gti - audi s3 etc

each manufacturer has a competitor in each catogory right upto say a gallardo and a murcielago, they cant be compared proformance wise, there both in different catogorys

Renault Megane
I think the nail hit on the head a while back, a driver is unique. So if u have 2 drivers two cars, the outcome gunna be different. because reactions and driving style and know how.

All i will say a focus ST if comparable more to a Megane as that's it's price range car style and power brand.

Fiesta ST is to the clio renaultsports for sme reasons.

But if people say that two different range of cars can't be compared, then five were wrong to put a Fiat panda 100hp against a Ferrari 360 modena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHgICfh8io ;)

ST
Loved my old ST-2, was a good blend of everything IMO, hot hatch, GT car, could carry 4 in comfort with luggage.
When you opened the taps it had enough torque to scare most company BMW drivers on the motorway, MPG isn't as bad as people say, on a run early to mid 30's tho round town mid teens, but for the 5 pot over 2 grand it was more than worth it!
enu4ytyr.jpg

MCS R56
I think the nail hit on the head a while back, a driver is unique. So if u have 2 drivers two cars, the outcome gunna be different. because reactions and driving style and know how.

All i will say a focus ST if comparable more to a Megane as that's it's price range car style and power brand.

Fiesta ST is to the clio renaultsports for sme reasons.

But if people say that two different range of cars can't be compared, then five were wrong to put a Fiat panda 100hp against a Ferrari 360 modena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHgICfh8io ;)

No clue what you just wrote or what your point is. And you can always compare two cars no matter what they are. It's maybe pointless in some cases but you can still do it.

Renault Megane
No clue what you just wrote or what your point is. And you can always compare two cars no matter what they are. It's maybe pointless in some cases but you can still do it.

All i was getting at was even if u compared an ST to another ST (lets say) with two different drivers, u will have two different outcomes. oh and was just saying that other cars can be compared to higher or lower car types. reading back yes maybe i shoulda wrote it better lol :banghead: Bad English teacher all those years back haha

Renault Megane
Surely if u think the thread is retarded, then what's the point commenting. Doesn't that beg the question, that it was a waste of time commenting on here??

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

5 minutes in, Mr Harris states the RS is the competitor to the Megane and VXR. He's God right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.