ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Focus ST v Clio 182

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So one of the world's best motoring journalists and Ford's marketing man said it... yet still CS knows better.

I doff my hat chaps.

MCS R56
So one of the world's best motoring journalists and Ford's marketing man said it... yet still CS knows better.

I doff my hat chaps.

Know what better? Nobody has been talking about any of these cars, it has been the the previous ST v Clio and then the Fiesta ST.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Know what better? Nobody has been talking about any of these cars, it has been the the previous ST v Clio and then the Fiesta ST.

Oh hi...

CLIO 172/182/197/200 - corsa vxr fiesta st - polo gti - audi s1 etc

MEGANE 225/230/250/265 -astra vxr - Focus st - golf gti - audi s3 etc

each manufacturer has a competitor in each catogory right upto say a gallardo and a murcielago, they cant be compared proformance wise, there both in different catogorys

Any the point stands. The ST brand doesn't try to compete with the Renault R.S. range. If it does then it could be said it's punching above it's weight.

MCS R56
f**k knows, even some Ford fan boys struggle to differentiate between the various mk's so what hope do we have?

Fan boy is on about something but I don't know what. It seems that the Ford marketing department said they (Fiesta ST) don't compete with Clio and then said they did and now Chris Harris (great reviewer of cars) who was testing the new Focus ST says it's not aimed at the RS Megane. The Focus RS is.

Safe to say, I'm out. I enjoy some discussion about cars, even if there is disagreement but this one is gone.

To confirm, the consensus about the Focus ST v Clio 182 in terms of performance is split. The Fiesta ST does compete with the Clio but the marketing department said it doesn't, but it's more fun to drive than the Clio, so you do the math. All are hot hatches, end of.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio does punch above it's weight. So does the Meg. The Clio was in Ecoty against things that cost 1/4 million pounds.

182 Cup & DCi 172
I have owned a 172 and an ST and the 172 is not a patch on the ST in modified and standard guise in my opinion if you are looking at straightline speed. They are so different. Cornering, the 172 is great with H&R coilovers but I never thought the ST was lacking as it also ran H&R coilovers.

I like the Clio immensely but the ST had more character and the noise is simply amazing. You can only compare modified Vs. modified or standard Vs. standard in my opinion as a 182 with filter, exhaust and remap is around 185-190bhp and the same on an ST is 270-280bhp.

Around a track the driver is the key.

I cant compare exactly as the ST was a labour of love with many thousands spent and the Clio was a cheap project which is finished now. I never tracked the Clio but I did the ST.

Just my little bit on ST vs. 182

Rob

Swift Sport
Fan boy is on about something but I don't know what. It seems that the Ford marketing department said they (Fiesta ST) don't compete with Clio and then said they did and now Chris Harris (great reviewer of cars) who was testing the new Focus ST says it's not aimed at the RS Megane. The Focus RS is.

Safe to say, I'm out. I enjoy some discussion about cars, even if there is disagreement but this one is gone.

To confirm, the consensus about the Focus ST v Clio 182 in terms of performance is split. The Fiesta ST does compete with the Clio but the marketing department said it doesn't, but it's more fun to drive than the Clio, so you do the math. All are hot hatches, end of.

Well put, and a agree completely.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Any the point stands. The ST brand doesn't try to compete with the Renault R.S. range. If it does then it could be said it's punching above it's weight.

What your point?

The thread was made to ask on comparisons not if they are in the same class or not.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Also how does it punch above its weight? Both the Focus and Fiesta are outclassed by similar sized/engine cars for example the R.S Clio and Megane.

What does it punch above its weight with?

I'm not saying there bad cars there brilliant and I do think the Focus is better than a Clio but seems to me like you're just defending the brand because you have a obsession with the manufacturer for some strange reason.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Gaz was doing well until he mentioned the Fiesta ST being more fun to drive than the Clio.

Not on this planet mate. Chuck a few grand at it maybe, then you might have something.

MCS R56
Gaz was doing well until he mentioned the Fiesta ST being more fun to drive than the Clio.

Not on this planet mate. Chuck a few grand at it maybe, then you might have something.

Was just quoting the Ford marketing gurus mate, not my words. I don't think this.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What your point?

The thread was made to ask on comparisons not if they are in the same class or not.

We're not even debating the OP anymore. Someone compared the Fiesta to the Clio. As much as the Fiesta can compete with the 182 it wasn't intentionally aimed at competing with it, hence the fact that they restricted a 2.0 litre petrol engine to produce only 150bhp!!!!!!

Also how does it punch above its weight? Both the Focus and Fiesta are outclassed by similar sized/engine cars for example the R.S Clio and Megane.

What does it punch above its weight with?

I'm not saying there bad cars there brilliant and I do think the Focus is better than a Clio but seems to me like you're just defending the brand because you have a obsession with the manufacturer for some strange reason.

So you're comparing the R.S. Megane to the Focus ST even though the Megane is competing against the FRS? Did you watch the video I posted above? The ST wasn't built to compete with the New Megane!!!

Like schooling toddlers in here.

My love of Ford makes zero difference here, the cars are good enough to speak for themselves in this case, if anything i'm detracting from how good they are.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
We're not even debating the OP anymore. Someone compared the Fiesta to the Clio. As much as the Fiesta can compete with the 182 it wasn't intentionally aimed at competing with it, hence the fact that they restricted a 2.0 litre petrol engine to produce only 150bhp!!!!!!

So you're comparing the R.S. Megane to the Focus ST even though the Megane is competing against the FRS? Did you watch the video I posted above? The ST wasn't built to compete with the New Megane!!!

Like schooling toddlers in here.

My love of Ford makes zero difference here, the cars are good enough to speak for themselves in this case, if anything i'm detracting from how good they are.

Lol at schooling toddlers.

Yes I compared just like Chris Harris did in that video are we not aloud to compare? I don't see why Chris would do a back to back test if they wasn't rivals.

Fact is mate if a car is similar size chassis and similar engine then most will put them in the same bracket so yeah maybe you're right and the ST's aren't trying to be competitive but fact is most people will look at them as rivals.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I understand what you mean now Gally.

But no matter who says what, the clio will still be compared to the fiesta and megane to the focus ST.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Standard for standard, the ST is more fun IMO. That's completely unbiased, but I have driven both cars at length. The clio is quicker in a straight line, but the ST has a more playful chassis.

The topic's been coved more times than a V6 has been on fire, and always ends the same way.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I still haven't had an answer as to how the Fiesta ST punches above its weight? Give me an example.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Standard for standard, the ST is more fun IMO. That's completely unbiased, but I have driven both cars at length. The clio is quicker in a straight line, but the ST has a more playful chassis.

The topic's been coved more times than a V6 has been on fire, and always ends the same way.

Speechless. I loved you.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I still haven't had an answer as to how the Fiesta ST punches above its weight? Give me an example.

I think the fact that it was never released as a direct competitor to the Clio RenaultSport/CTR, yet is still compared to them is the answer to that mate.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I think the fact that it was never released as a direct competitor to the Clio RenaultSport/CTR, yet is still compared to them is the answer to that mate.

Lol okie dokie mate.

You can compare a Lambo with a Micra if you wanted does that mean the Micra punches above its weight?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lol and you said speaking to me was like speaking to a toddler..

Looks like someones spitting the dummy out half way through a debate.

It's not a debate, it stopped being that when people decide to pick parts of information to suit their argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.