ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For all of those looking to trim their loom - I've done it today

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I stripped a previous loom methodically by removing all loom wrap, marked all redundant plugs and traced them back to the plugs and removed the pins. This failed for some reason, as others have said, I don't think these looms like being disturbed.

So I fitted a new standard loom and gave up.

Today I looked at the mass of useless wires for the airbag ecu and couldn't take it anymore so I got my side cutters out.

I stripped all of the wrap from the airbag ecu run of wiring and clipped each wire leaving about 2cm by the main loom. I ran the car after each cut. If you're doing this, be very careful with the OBD port wiring as there are a couple of wires that terminate in Renaults crappy "solder 12 wires together" blocks. It's vital that all wrap is removed so you can see these junction points.

I also removed the plugs for the roof loom, the passenger airbag, the stereo, the speakers and a few plugs around the steering column such as the stereo controls.

Once the plugs were removed, I used 1.2mm heatshrink on each wire leg then taped these neatly into the main loom so you now can't even tell they were there.

I also relocated the OBD port to where the heated rear screen button used to be as I have polycarbs and I taped the wiring up with the hazard switch and central locking switch wiring.

I reckon I took 2kg today. When I stripped the old loom fully it was just over 3kg so this method is nearly there and the car still runs!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
That's good to know Len, I had a good ol' look at my airbag loom today and its winding me up aswell, I don't just want to tuck it all up behind the dash as I'd retire remove it.
have you actually driven the car to see if everything else is functioning correctly rather than just starting it up?

like yourself, I'm aiming to retain the OBD port, but also the 12v socket.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Had a little spin up the street Kelv, no issues. All lights etc work.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Happy days.
Re-reading everything you have removed pretty much covers what I would like to remove aswell, a delicate and carefull task ahead.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Just take your time and trace each wire carefully and you'll be fine mate.

I reckon there's only 1kg between this method and stripping the whole loom down and removing the lengths of wire in there as well. It's just not worth the risk.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I agree,

This is the mess on the floor at present :(

4C4F7C61-5D39-4139-98A6-50F4A81ED4C1-4224-000004DB970D95E2.jpg

806A16C7-3C66-4D21-8029-E1548678A3DC-4224-000004DB9E00F82F.jpg

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I know it well! All of that rubbish on top of the glovebox can go too.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm aiming for it to, I have everything exposed that I'm aiming to remove.
if I'm honest, I was happy to pay an auto electrician a couple of hours to do it all so I don't screw it up, I can see me cursing horrendously and threatening the car with a large heavy object if i cause an issue with anything

182 track weapon
thanx Ian for showin me the thread. So its beta to cut the wire out leaving 2 inch,s on the end leaving the pin in the connecter just incase ive unraped the whole loom already