ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forge Hoses

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Evening All,

I've had a little trouble today fitting my Forge hoses.

In short I can't seem to get them to fit. The main issue being the two hoses which go to the heater matrix. I'm sure I have the hoses all connected in the correct way however the two pipes don't line up to the matrix connections. I've followed a guide on here but it looks like the join between the top pipes going to the matrix are too long thus making the gap too large for them hoses to fit (not sure if any of this makes sense!)

Help!

Tom

PS: I'll try and get some pics

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So the pic below (not mine) showing "Upper" and "Lower" are meant to go to the Heater Matrix connections in the bulkhead however they are so far part I'm going to struggle to get them lined up to the matrix connection.

Please note on the pic below they are closer than mine are

WP_20170202_13_28_43_Pro_LI.jpg

Thanks as always in advance.

Tom

PH2 172
Yeah in hindsight I would have got them, but if I’m honest I got the forge items to hope the fit would be better, which is clearly not correct.

I’m wondering if I could trim the t-sections?

I was thinking that too, but beside invalidating any warranty, it might result on the long hose rubbing on the thermostat housing.
I would express your concerns to the supplier and see what they say.

Yeah in hindsight I would have got them, but if I’m honest I got the forge items to hope the fit would be better, which is clearly not correct.

I’m wondering if I could trim the t-sections?

I was about to order these last night, as I was thinking 'buy cheap, buy twice', so best off paying the extra for the forge ones. Turns out that isn't always correct!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I was thinking that too, but beside invalidating any warranty, it might result on the long hose rubbing on the thermostat housing.
I would express your concerns to the supplier and see what they say.

I've dropped Forge an email. Be interesting to see what they say?

I was about to order these last night, as I was thinking 'buy cheap, buy twice', so best off paying the extra for the forge ones. Turns out that isn't always correct!

I think more people are running the MTC items abd a few people I've spoken to do not seem to have had an issue.

Iv not had any issue with the MTC kit in the year they have been fitted

As above!

I'm hoping the issue is me doing something wrong but I can't see it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I had the forged hoses and got rid. The Samco hoses are much better in the way they fit.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Have you tried fitting them ?

Yeah I spent a good hour trying to work it out yesterday.

I had the forged hoses and got rid. The Samco hoses are much better in the way they fit.

In hindsight I would have got the Samco items but I personally, and maybe incorrectly believed Forge would be just as good. Not sure I can justify changing now.

In brighter news I've got to the bottom of the issue, thanks to @Stuiemc we measured his forge hoses and my "t sections" are almost twice as long as his, thus the problem fitting them! I contacted Forge earlier and received a guide on how to cut the hoses. If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed with the response so I'm going to send another email shortly explaining the difference in length between mine and another set and see what they say.

I'll keep you all posted.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So i received a reply from my email of last night, quick reply IMO however no real joy.

Pic of email below but in short they basically want me to trim the hoses myself, which when paying almost twice the amount "compared" to a "lesser" brand leases a bitter taste, in hindsight I should have gone with the Samco items, which were only a bit more expensive than the Forge items.

Capture.JPG

I'll get trimming tonight!

Tom

So i received a reply from my email of last night, quick reply IMO however no real joy.

Pic of email below but in short they basically want me to trim the hoses myself, which when paying almost twice the amount "compared" to a "lesser" brand leases a bitter taste, in hindsight I should have gone with the Samco items, which were only a bit more expensive than the Forge items.

View attachment 1355597

I'll get trimming tonight!

Tom

Bit of a cop out that! Basically saying they've made it longer than needed so that you have to customise it yourself, because they haven't designed it properly!

Will feed back how I get on with the MTS kit Ive ordered, hopefully no trimming required!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I have had 2 forge kits in the past and currently have one fitted to the track car and i haven't ever had any issues. I wonder if they have changed recently

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Bit of a cop out that! Basically saying they've made it longer than needed so that you have to customise it yourself, because they haven't designed it properly!

Will feed back how I get on with the MTS kit Ive ordered, hopefully no trimming required!

TBH I thought the very same. From a business point of view I understand that it's a safer bet making them longer however I believe when your paying for a premium product quality control should eliminate issues like this and it should be a simply OEM replacement. The thing that annoys me most is that they don't even give a "guide" explaining you "may" need to trim the hoses, if they issued that warning I would have looked elsewhere.

I have had 2 forge kits in the past and currently have one fitted to the track car and i haven't ever had any issues. I wonder if they have changed recently

As said above @Stuiemc has a set of Forge hoses and he didn't have an issue, so I think I'm just unlucky. As soon as @Stuiemc sent me some pics of his hoses it was obvious the lengths differed dramatically. I'm lead to believe that all hoses are made to order so it could well be human error.

Anyway going to pick up some new blades tonight and will trim up accordingly.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
There not even close that's the problem, 0-3mm is a big enough tolerance for them to trim the hoses down to not 40mm!

They should of at least offered you a partial refund for your troubles.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
There not even close that's the problem, 0-3mm is a big enough tolerance for them to trim the hoses down to not 40mm!

They should of at least offered you a partial refund for your troubles.

I know mate and lets not forget it's almost 40mm on each hose so I was a good 80mm out, no wonder I was having trouble lining them up!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
For reference the pic below shows how much I need to trim to make the same length as @Stuiemc

I need to cut off below each clamp:

IMG_5539.JPG
IMG_5538.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Surely the originals are better than all the aftermarket hoses?

I would agree but I liked the idea of silicone hoses to freshen up the engine bay.

Same here. My forge hoses were easy to fit tbh.

I do feel like I'm an odd one out. As I've google the issue and I've not found many issues. Just purchased some new blades so ready to cut tonight.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Forge are a bit poor. I ordered a set of these this week from them then was told it would be 4 weeks. I asked why it didn't say that on there website and he said stock would be hard to control

Forge are a bit poor. I ordered a set of these this week from them then was told it would be 4 weeks. I asked why it didn't say that on there website and he said stock would be hard to control
I would imagine the demand for silicone hoses is so low that its just 1 person that makes all the forge hoses in there spare time when there not in there other full time job. Gone are the days of Max power when all the boy racers use to buy them for some reason.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup

As above in hindsight I would have ordered the Samco items, although slightly more expensive but I've heard good reports regarding the MTC (eBay) items.

I would imagine the demand for silicone hoses is so low that its just 1 person that makes all the forge hoses in there spare time when there not in there other full time job. Gone are the days of Max power when all the boy racers use to buy them for some reason.

Mine arrived within 48 hours but this was where the good customer service ended!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
goes well with the other grey and the satin black, throttle body is going black and all the hoses having black jubilee clips as well.
Can I ask where you get your black jubilee clips from? Been looking at some myself but don’t want to end up with crap ones where the coating just comes off and they end up looking naff.. cheers!!

dan's cast offs.
Can I ask where you get your black jubilee clips from? Been looking at some myself but don’t want to end up with crap ones where the coating just comes off and they end up looking naff.. cheers!!

got some mikalor stainless ones off ebay, not fitted yet though.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I have just received a set of MTC hoses, does anyone cut a little from "upper" and "lower" joints or just fit them as they are? I've got the same problems as the OP

Thanks