ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forza 3

Have to say I really like the rewind feature in Grid and it was executed very well with the photo countdown and believe me I probably used it more than most:eek:

That said it has no place in a so called driving simulater.

Integra Type-R DC2
The problem is, if your on the last lap of an epic 36 lap race and spin your car, you are going to use it. Anyone who says they wont, is either;

a) lying, or
b) has far to much time on their hands.

FACT.

Nippy white cup
Well I don't think you can change mid race so I am a liar lol. I never use any aids even on new game as it makes it soooo difficult to take them off when you realise how much you are missing having them on...

Besides after 36 laps you should be too far ahead for a last lap spin to matter ;)

Chris

lol, you could say that about traction control or stability on some of the high power RWD USDM cars. I personally don't use either of them or rewinds in grid, not a lie, I don't have too much time on my hands it's just how I race.

If it's put in like grid where you have it on or off before the race is started then you wont be able to have a change of mind when you have an accident like that even if you are tempted.

I really don't see why so many people are criticising it, just because you're weak willed doesn't mean the rest of us suffer from the same problem ;)

Some new info!
Enter: JDM Power

A look at the Cars of Japan in Forza 3!

Turn 10 Staff, 6.29.2009

Evo_vs_STI_Banner.jpg

Furious Turbo 4s

• 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
  • 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
  • 2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
Think Autobots versus Decepticons is the biggest battle of archenemies? Mitsubishi’s Lancer Evolution and Subaru’s WRX STi have been dueling for decades on the World Rally Championship circuit and more recently on the street and time attack course.
The 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR represents the ultimate iteration of the Diamond Star gang’s awe-inspiring 4G63 engine. This rock solid Turbo 4 propelled Finnish driver Turbo Tommi Makinen to four consecutive WRC championships from 1996 to ‘99. In the Evo IX the 4G63 is rated at it highest output ever, 286 horsepower, and Forza Motorsport 3 tuners will find it one of the most willing boost-up partners. Yes, 143 horsepower per liter is merely the starting line.
In the opposite corner we have another rally-bred beast in the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Colin McRae (1995), Richard Burns (2001) and Petter Solberg (2003) all power-slid race-prepped WRX STi’s to the WRC driver’s championship. The road-going 2008 STi is motivated by a turbocharged 2.5-liter EJ25 boxer four engine with 300 horses in the corral. So the STi comes out swinging with a power advantage and aggressively broad shoulders that will tempt livery-painters as much as tuners.
Getting the most out of this dynamic duo will be truly exhilarating as each vehicle sports a tenacious all-wheel drive system for maximum grip. Forza 3’s advanced physics modeling allows drivers to surgically control four-wheel drifts over every nuance of the racing surface, or master the subtlety to shave vital tenths off your lap times. Once you get dialed into one of these slip-angle masters, few other production cars, even purported “supercars,” will be able to touch you.
A boisterous upstart unwilling to cave into the substantial motorsports pedigrees of the Evo and STi, the 2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 follows the Turbo 4 formula but lacks an all-wheel drive powertrain. Playing the “if you don’t have torque steer you’re not making enough power” card, the MS3 coerces 263 horsepower through its front wheels. Can a front drive take on these all-wheel giants? Do you have the driving skill to out-duel other players in this hard-charging underdog? This Mazda won’t disappoint.
B-Segment Buzz Bombs
2008 Toyota Yaris S
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2009 Nissan Versa SL
In a world where sporting two liters is like rolling with a big block, only dogged determination and pure tuning talent will win the day. With powerplants that scream like a banshee at full song, the 2008 Toyota Yaris S, 2009 Honda Fit Sport, 2009 Nissan Versa SL offer a unique racing experience for Forza 3 players. There is something “so wrong it’s right” about taking cars envisioned from conception as sedate urban people movers and transforming them into competitive racing machines. The extensive upgrades sandbox of Forza 3, its Livery Editor, Auction House and deep tuning garage make it possible to transform these tame sub-compacts into potential Ferrari-killers.
At a “whopping” 122 horsepower, the Versa SL is the bully of these B-segment econoboxes. The Fit Sport is next in the pecking order at 117 ponies followed by the 90-pound weakling that is the 106-horsepower Yaris S. The Japanese tuning market has embraced this sub-compact segment in a big way and now you can add your own JDM flair to the proceedings. Never mind the starting point, get it right and these lightweight and supremely tossable shoeboxes can make for some of the most entertaining hot laps in Forza 3.
Upscale Style Seekers
2010 Nissan 370Z
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport
2009 Lexus IS-F
This grouping of Forza 3 car roster combatants have an added degree of class and swagger, featuring some of the most sensuous body lines on the road today. No forced induction, all-wheel drive or feather-light chassis here, these brutes use displacement and rear-wheel drive to get the job done.
The 2010 Nissan 370Z and 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport share the same stout VQ37HR V6 powerplant and running gear. Dropping a turbo kit under the hood is like opening a can of 500-horsepower whoop-ass. The Z is an accomplished racer in JGTC/Super GT competition in both GT300 and GT500 classes so expect mods aplenty for aspiring Forza 3 tuners.
A surprisingly serious performance machine, the 2009 Lexus IS-F has a two-cylinder advantage over its Nissan/Infiniti rivals. This translates in to an 86-horse inferiority complex for the 330-horsepower G37 (84 for the 332-hp Z) as the Lexus’ quad-cammed, 5.0-liter V8 puts an intense 416 horsepower at your fingertips. With Forza 3’s new cockpit view, Lexus’ benchmark luxury translates into a classy ride for IS-F owners in the game. With meticulous interior detail for each of our 400-plus cars in Forza 3, fans of high-end sedans can expect to enjoy the fine touch of leather in every stitch.

Iconic JDM Racers
#23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R
#12 Calsonic Impul Nissan GT-R
#3 YellowHat TMS Tomica Nissan GT-R
#36 Petronas Tom’s Toyota SC430
#25 Eclipse Advan Toyota SC430
#6 Eneos Toyota SC430
#23 Nissan Motorsports R390
Nissan’s renowned GT-R badge is up to its old tricks. In its first go around, the R32 variant laid down the law dominating JTC Group A competition winning 29 straight races and four titles between 1989 and ‘93. The current R35 GT-R is flexing its muscles on the race track as well, dominating the Super GT GT500 driver’s championship with the #23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R in 2008. With Forza 3, you can take the place of pilot Satoshi Motoyami and take control of this lethal track weapon. Jump back in time and go nostalgic behind the wheel of one of the most famously liveried GT-Rs: the bright blue of the #12 Calsonic Impul Nissan GT-R wearing the same colors and number as the R32 that won the championship in 1990. Forza 3 also opens the door on the #3 YellowHat TMS Tomica Nissan GT-R. With 10 times the car detail of Forza Motorsport 2, these JDM race cars in Forza 3 nail both authenticity and sensation of speed.
Squaring off against the GT-R in Super GT is a tall order but the GT500-spec Toyota SC430 has long legs. That’s right, the Lexus SC430, a plush hard-top convertible known more for cruising Beverly Hills boutiques than carving high-g apexes is a legit racer in Japan. In fact, the #36 Petronas Tom’s Toyota SC430 currently second in GT500 driver standings and both the #25 Eclipse Advan Toyota SC430 and #6 Eneos Toyota SC430 have been hard chargers during the 2009 Super GT season. Pick one of these SCs and take out an R35 if you can.
Experience a trail-blazing 24 Hours of Le Mans legend. The #23 Nissan Motorsports R390 was Nissan’s top finisher in the 1997 24 Hours of Le Mans, claiming a 12th overall, fifth in GT1 class. The car with a distinctive red and black livery and familiar Calsonic and Xanavi support served as a stepping stone for the 1998 R390 that was the first all-Japanese effort to reach the podium at Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans. A 641-horsepower, twin-turbo 3.5-liter V8 provided thrust for the long-tailed endurance racer. Can savvy gamers strap on the #23 R390, out-drive the competition and bring home the trophy?
Iconic JDM Tracks
Suzuka International Race Course
One of the big dogs of Japanese tracks, Suzuka was home to Formula One’s Japanese Grand Prix until 2007 when the honor fell to Fuji Speedway. But F1 will return in 2009 and Suzuka currently hosts Super GT twice a year. The 3.608-mile course requires cat-like reflexes as its 17 turns, highlighted by the quick transitions of the “S” complex, the Turn 11 hairpin, and the tricky Casio Triangle will keep drivers on their A-Game. But don’t fear the throttle, as there are numerous high-speed sections that demand a total commitment from your weighted leadfoot.
Twin Ring Motegi
Motegi is where the Japanese get their groove on NASCAR-style. The venue, built by Honda in 1997, is home to a 1.549-mile oval and a 2.98-mile road course. It has held a NASCAR exhibition race in ’98, was part of the CART circuit from ’98 to 2002 and then it went to host the IRL in 2003. In 2008 Danica Patrick made headlines, becoming the first woman to win an Indy Car race at the Indy Japan 300, the only event currently held on the egg-shaped oval.
The Motegi road course doesn’t have the elevation changes of some of the other Japanese circuits but features an intoxicating blend of tight corners and high-speed sweepers. Motegi is the last race on the Super GT schedule so this track is a mix of handling and speed that will take a balanced vehicle and skilled driver to get around cleanly.
Tsukuba Circuit
Players will get more of a grassroots vibe at Tsukuba as the 1.286-mile track can accommodate only 8,500 spectators opposed to Motegi that sees crowds of more than 68,000 and Suzuka that houses 100,000. Home of the famous Revspeed Super Battle, the original time attack that hit the Japanese tuning scene in 1990, and D1 Grand Prix drifting events, Tsukuba hums to an underground soundtrack where other Japanese venues feature a much more mainstream beat. Consequently, Tsukuba rewards agility over brute power so gamers who can hit their apexes and keep the momentum rolling should do well on this track. If you drift, welcome to heaven.

The Turn 10 Studios Blog

The home of Turn 10 Studios, creators of Forza Motorsport 2 on Xbox 360.
.DoNotDisplay { display: none; }This Week at Forzamotorsport.net
star-left-on.gif
star-right-on.gif
star-left-on.gif
star-right-on.gif
star-left-on.gif
star-right-on.gif
star-left-on.gif
star-right-on.gif
star-left-on.gif
star-right-on.gif

original.aspx

Happy Monday, folks. Got up bright and early, took my morning dose of caffeine and began the hustle with Landin on giving you guys a week's worth of Forzamotorsport.net content.
As you can expect going forward on our site, Forzamotorsport.net will feature exclusive Forza 3 content every other Tuesday, starting tomorrow. During the off weeks, we come up with something cool to keep y'all entertained, like extra screenshots, more info on the features or cars we just revealed, or a podcast with interviews from folks in our design and dev teams. Honestly, there's plenty to talk about and really not enough days to dole them all out.
So expect a Pitpass Report article tomorrow, as well as a batch of yummy new screenshots. Then come back later this week when we finally upload our Turn 10 @ E3 2009 video that'll give you a glimpse into how Forza 3 was announced at E3 and the sort of reception it had at the show. Yeah, sorry, been way too busy to get that online but I'm gonna get my butt in gear! And then finally, come back later this week as we post another batch of screens from the same car group we're going to reveal tomorrow.
In the meantime, check this out. One of our UI artists Taras Lesko got really crafty during his down time and made this little origami gem. That's right, an Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro (aka the R8 V10) made completely out of cardboard. What?? Yup, complete with brake rotors, caliper, tail pipes, etc.
original.aspx

original.aspx

Here Mr. Lesko, in his own words:
My name is Taras Lesko. I specialize in graphic design and motion graphics by day and experimentational arts and crafts by night. In the Summer of 2008 I came across a new art form, new to me at the time, known as papercraft. Since then I have created several papercraft models, some of which are showcased on my personal website at www.kranestyle.com. After working at Turn 10 Studios since January 2009 and being surrounded by everything car related, I decided to create a new papercraft model for the studio. After roughly 180 hours, over three months, I’ve crafted a 1/6 scale Audi R8, styled specifically to Forza 3’s visual brand and design. The entire process consisted of careful planning, 3d modeling, texture mapping, printing, cutting and gluing. In the end I was pleased to present this model to the team and greatly appreciate everyone’s positive feedback.
original.aspx

By positive feedback, what we really said was, "holy @#%!^&"
See you guys tomorrow.
Che "space" Chou
Community Manager
Turn 10

I'm not sure the Amuse GT1 will appear tbh. PD designed the kit on that badboy IIRC, might have some licencing issues as a result. Couple of those JTCC cars listed are R35's though so might be wrong!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm not sure the Amuse GT1 will appear tbh. PD designed the kit on that badboy IIRC, might have some licencing issues as a result. Couple of those JTCC cars listed are R35's though so might be wrong!

Ahh shat, yeah they did.

If they have an EK9, FD2 and Hakosuka... i'd be a happy midget.

EK9, Hakosuka, onevia, S13 and S15 amongst others would be a good mix. Tough call to work out what will and wont make it in what with the introduction of classics like the DB5, SUV's etc. I'm hoping all the good cars have been kept, the s**t (mainly USDM sheds) has been removed and that of the 400+ cars they've mentioned any duplicated R class cars with different liveries are listed as 1 car rather than half a dozen + in the case of things like the GT3 cup cars in Forza 2.

Something written by one of the guys at the Audi event.
Hey guys my gamertag is General E Live, I recently competed and won the AXF 24 hour Audi Forza Le Man Challenge a couple weeks ago with my two teammates. I just wanted to come and share my impressions of Forza 3 with all of you.

First things first, after reading through this thread I want to say that I am impressed by the maturity in this forum most GT forums I have visited recently are 80% Forza bash when none have even played any of the forza games, here most everyone is respectful and for the most part keeps things cool.

On to forza 3, during my time in New York I got to race on 4 tracks and I raced about 8 cars most significantly the R8 V10. Other cars I drove include the Ford GT, ML 63 AMG, SL 65 AMG Black Series, Audi R10 TDI, 908, and others. The 4 tracks were obviously Le Man, Camino, Ladera, and Tiberian (the last three are fantasy). Just briefly I will say that the 3 fantasy tracks far far exceeded my expectations, they were fantastic on every level, and were much more technical then I thought as well.

Le Man - The track was beautiful and quickly became the most fun I have had playing a racing game ever. No longer does turn 10 only produce smooth surfaced tracks the mulsanne straight was bumpy as hell and was bouncing the car everywhere and you could even feel the crown of the road work your car towards the outer walls on each side of the straight. The overall feeling of track was just fantastic and was a feeling not ever felt from a forza game before. The cars looked amazing, they look just as good as the screen captures do.

The car physics, the phrase night and day comes to mind when comparing FM2 to FM3. The biggest physics complaint with FM2 was that the cars felt floaty and didnt have weight to them. Well FM3, we all could feel the weight of the car everywhere, especially through the turns and in braking. It felt extremely realistic, and I couldnt be happier about it. We couldnt tune anything on the car but the car compared to forza 2 was much much more difficult to get a grasp on, the car would loose traction if we overdrove it, and the car would also require earlier or late braking depending on the corner whether it was downhill, uphill, flat, etc. Not to mention you can see the tire deformation through the turns which just looks nasty! (good way) Over not to start anything here just my opinion, after playing FM3, and GT5P physics hands down to FM3, graphics honestly is much closer then you think and for that I am very excited. Overall FM3 is a must get for anyone who wants to play a great sim racer.

I don't think it will. From what I can see they're releasing different tracks and cars each time they update, they've done supercars, then LMP cars, now jap, no doubt suv's, historics etc will come as the weeks progress along with the tracks.

SQ5
The graphics on the JDM cars there are bloody fantastic, definitely giving GT5 a run for its money on the looks wise!

Forza Pitpass Report: JDM Power
A taste of Japanese Style in Forza 3!
Turn 10 Staff, 6.29.2009
Now that we’re a month into post-announce territory for Forza Motorsport 3, we’re starting to hit our stride with a regular bi-weekly series of Forza Pitpass Report articles that will reveal a slice of car heaven, as well as peeks at new tracks in the upcoming game, for our fans and community. Then during the off-weeks, we’ll be diving deeper into cars, tracks, features that we’ve already announced with podcasts, bonus screenshots, and other supporting content from Turn 10. Let’s put it this way -- we have so much content in this game that there aren’t possibly enough days between now and launch to show all of it. In fact, if we showcased a car every day of the week from July to the end of October (23rd is the launch date in Europe), including weekends, we wouldn’t even hit half of our car roster. But that’s not a bad idea, huh?

This week’s focus is squarely on our friends across the Pacific in Japan, who have developed some of the fastest and most ferocious production and racing cars in the world. These obviously aren’t the only Japanese cars we carry in Forza Motorsport 3; but in the interest of space, time, and sanity, we’ve limited our coverage on a handful of select vehicles, ranging from sporty subcompacts to burly Super GT dominators. After you’ve read the article, be sure to head over to our media gallery to browse all screenshots from this release. Then finally, let us know what you think in our official blog thread – and by simply posting your comments, we’ll gift you a free unicorn in Forza 2. Enjoy!

SEE THE OFFICIAL SCREENSHOT GALLERY HERE.

Furious Turbo 4s
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
Think Autobots versus Decepticons is the biggest battle of archenemies? Mitsubishi’s Lancer Evolution and Subaru’s WRX STi have been dueling for decades on the World Rally Championship circuit and more recently on the street and time attack course.

The 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR represents the ultimate iteration of the Diamond Star gang’s awe-inspiring 4G63 engine. This rock solid Turbo 4 propelled Finnish driver Turbo Tommi Makinen to four consecutive WRC championships from 1996 to ‘99. In the Evo IX the 4G63 is rated at it highest output ever, 286 horsepower, and Forza Motorsport 3 tuners will find it one of the most willing boost-up partners. Yes, 143 horsepower per liter is merely the starting line.

In the opposite corner we have another rally-bred beast in the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Colin McRae (1995), Richard Burns (2001) and Petter Solberg (2003) all power-slid race-prepped WRX STi’s to the WRC driver’s championship. The road-going 2008 STi is motivated by a turbocharged 2.5-liter EJ25 boxer four engine with 300 horses in the corral. So the STi comes out swinging with a power advantage and aggressively broad shoulders that will tempt livery-painters as much as tuners.

Getting the most out of this dynamic duo will be truly exhilarating as each vehicle sports a tenacious all-wheel drive system for maximum grip. Forza 3’s advanced physics modeling allows drivers to surgically control four-wheel drifts over every nuance of the racing surface, or master the subtlety to shave vital tenths off your lap times. Once you get dialed into one of these slip-angle masters, few other production cars, even purported “supercars,” will be able to touch you. (Left: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR)

A boisterous upstart unwilling to cave into the substantial motorsports pedigrees of the Evo and STi, the 2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 follows the Turbo 4 formula but lacks an all-wheel drive powertrain. Playing the “if you don’t have torque steer you’re not making enough power” card, the MS3 coerces 263 horsepower through its front wheels. Can a front drive take on these all-wheel giants? Do you have the driving skill to out-duel other players in this hard-charging underdog? This Mazda won’t disappoint.

B-Segment Buzz Bombs
2008 Toyota Yaris S
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2009 Nissan Versa SL
In a world where sporting two liters is like rolling with a big block, only dogged determination and pure tuning talent will win the day. With powerplants that scream like a banshee at full song, the 2008 Toyota Yaris S, 2009 Honda Fit Sport, 2009 Nissan Versa SL offer a unique racing experience for Forza 3 players. There is something “so wrong it’s right” about taking cars envisioned from conception as sedate urban people movers and transforming them into competitive racing machines. The extensive upgrades sandbox of Forza 3, its Livery Editor, Auction House and deep tuning garage make it possible to transform these tame sub-compacts into potential Ferrari-killers.

At a “whopping” 122 horsepower, the Versa SL is the bully of these B-segment econoboxes. The Fit Sport is next in the pecking order at 117 ponies followed by the 90-pound weakling that is the 106-horsepower Yaris S. The Japanese tuning market has embraced this sub-compact segment in a big way and now you can add your own JDM flair to the proceedings. Never mind the starting point, get it right and these lightweight and supremely tossable shoeboxes can make for some of the most entertaining hot laps in Forza 3.

Upscale Style Seekers
2010 Nissan 370Z
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport
2009 Lexus IS-F
This grouping of Forza 3 car roster combatants have an added degree of class and swagger, featuring some of the most sensuous body lines on the road today. No forced induction, all-wheel drive or feather-light chassis here, these brutes use displacement and rear-wheel drive to get the job done.

The 2010 Nissan 370Z and 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Sport share the same stout VQ37HR V6 powerplant and running gear. Dropping a turbo kit under the hood is like opening a can of 500-horsepower whoop-ass. The Z is an accomplished racer in JGTC/Super GT competition in both GT300 and GT500 classes so expect mods aplenty for aspiring Forza 3 tuners.

A surprisingly serious performance machine, the 2009 Lexus IS-F has a two-cylinder advantage over its Nissan/Infiniti rivals. This translates in to an 86-horse inferiority complex for the 330-horsepower G37 (84 for the 332-hp Z) as the Lexus’ quad-cammed, 5.0-liter V8 puts an intense 416 horsepower at your fingertips. With Forza 3’s new cockpit view, Lexus’ benchmark luxury translates into a classy ride for IS-F owners in the game. With meticulous interior detail for each of our 400-plus cars in Forza 3, fans of high-end sedans can expect to enjoy the fine touch of leather in every stitch.

Iconic JDM Racers
#23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R
#12 Calsonic Impul Nissan GT-R
#3 YellowHat TMS Tomica Nissan GT-R
#36 Petronas Tom’s Toyota SC430
#25 Eclipse Advan Toyota SC430
#6 Eneos Toyota SC430
#23 Nissan Motorsports R390
Nissan’s renowned GT-R badge is up to its old tricks. In its first go around, the R32 variant laid down the law dominating JTC Group A competition winning 29 straight races and four titles between 1989 and ‘93. The current R35 GT-R is flexing its muscles on the race track as well, dominating the Super GT GT500 driver’s championship with the #23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R in 2008. With Forza 3, you can take the place of pilot Satoshi Motoyami and take control of this lethal track weapon. Jump back in time and go nostalgic behind the wheel of one of the most famously liveried GT-Rs: the bright blue of the #12 Calsonic Impul Nissan GT-R wearing the same colors and number as the R32 that won the championship in 1990. Forza 3 also opens the door on the #3 YellowHat TMS Tomica Nissan GT-R. With 10 times the car detail of Forza Motorsport 2, these JDM race cars in Forza 3 nail both authenticity and sensation of speed.

Squaring off against the GT-R in Super GT is a tall order but the GT500-spec Toyota SC430 has long legs. That’s right, the Lexus SC430, a plush hard-top convertible known more for cruising Beverly Hills boutiques than carving high-g apexes is a legit racer in Japan. In fact, the #36 Petronas Tom’s Toyota SC430 currently second in GT500 driver standings and both the #25 Eclipse Advan Toyota SC430 and #6 Eneos Toyota SC430 have been hard chargers during the 2009 Super GT season. Pick one of these SCs and take out an R35 if you can.

Experience a trail-blazing 24 Hours of Le Mans legend. The #23 Nissan Motorsports R390 was Nissan’s top finisher in the 1997 24 Hours of Le Mans, claiming a 12th overall, fifth in GT1 class. The car with a distinctive red and black livery and familiar Calsonic and Xanavi support served as a stepping stone for the 1998 R390 that was the first all-Japanese effort to reach the podium at Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans. A 641-horsepower, twin-turbo 3.5-liter V8 provided thrust for the long-tailed endurance racer. Can savvy gamers strap on the #23 R390, out-drive the competition and bring home the trophy?

Iconic JDM Tracks

One of the big dogs of Japanese tracks, Suzuka was home to Formula One’s Japanese Grand Prix until 2007 when the honor fell to Fuji Speedway. But F1 will return in 2009 and Suzuka currently hosts Super GT twice a year. The 3.608-mile course requires cat-like reflexes as its 17 turns, highlighted by the quick transitions of the “S” complex, the Turn 11 hairpin, and the tricky Casio Triangle will keep drivers on their A-Game. But don’t fear the throttle, as there are numerous high-speed sections that demand a total commitment from your weighted leadfoot.

Motegi is where the Japanese get their groove on NASCAR-style. The venue, built by Honda in 1997, is home to a 1.549-mile oval and a 2.98-mile road course. It has held a NASCAR exhibition race in ’98, was part of the CART circuit from ’98 to 2002 and then it went to host the IRL in 2003. In 2008 Danica Patrick made headlines, becoming the first woman to win an Indy Car race at the Indy Japan 300, the only event currently held on the egg-shaped oval.

The Motegi road course is the last race on the Super GT schedule so this track is a mix of handling and speed that will take a balanced vehicle and skilled driver to get around cleanly.

Players will get more of a grassroots vibe at Tsukuba as the 1.286-mile track can accommodate only 8,500 spectators opposed to Motegi that sees crowds of more than 68,000 and Suzuka that houses 100,000. Home of the famous Revspeed Super Battle, the original time attack that hit the Japanese tuning scene in 1990, and D1 Grand Prix drifting events, Tsukuba hums to an underground soundtrack where other Japanese venues feature a much more mainstream beat. Consequently, Tsukuba rewards agility over brute power so gamers who can hit their apexes and keep the momentum rolling should do well on this track. If you drift, welcome to heaven.