ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

found a 172. some advise please.

oh and with the weight ratio of the two cars. i am a skinny little runt. so the cup will prob weigh the same with an avarage person driving. eat like a horse tho. ...

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 23 November 2003

LOL I love the way all 172 owners just refer to 0-60 times. Its a bit more than that in reality. Fine if you just plan to drive to mothercare but on the open road they would be a bit more difference between the 2 cars.
Until you come up against a lowered 172.....muahahaha ;)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Gary where abouts are you?

My 172 will be up for sale very shortly, it has 17" cup alloys so you get the best of both worlds! :D

Not sure if your after new or 2nd hand

maryport. neer workington. about half hour off carlisle. getting a leon cupra r eh? very nice. is that the quick one? i was looking at those myself. but set my hart on a clio

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Not sure Im gettin the Leon now delivery is too long. My even get a Skoda!! :eek:

Need to sell the Clio before i decide, you aint a million mile away from me.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 23 November 2003

We were helping till you posted up and took it off topic, he wanted opinions of both cars and me and _KDF were giving them. But according to you me and _KDF aint even allowed to have some banter, oh its such fun in here now :(
Ye loony talk about off topic ;)

only thing that might stop me is insurance. cant see it being a prob tho. had a new vts, shouldnt be much more. i am 22 on 8th of dec, do you think it would make a difference to wait?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I had a vts before the 172 and the insurance was almost the same cost me an extra tenner a month.

The car is a 51 plate with 20k miles. Mint inside and out had one parking dint on the passenger door which has now been removed. It has a Clio Cup front splitter and 17" speedline Turinis (off the Cup) still have the original wheels. Its just had a full new exhaust replaced by Renault under warranty.

I think it would only make a difference if you were turning 25 and not 22

very interested. very!!! just need to get some ins quote. and sort out a loan. etc take it your in newcastle? i also need to sort out my other car. its just a run around p reg astra. cant see it being a prob tho. gonna ring ins up now.

god... i hate phoning insurance. cant get threw to most of them. got to phone my insurance up tomorrow. and with elephant it was 1500 quid fcomp. and if i wait 3wk to i am 22 it drops 200 big ones. unbeliveable......

there is a clio sport 172, and a cup and a top of the range one. which is the top of the range one? insurance keep asking which one i want.

no. not v6. it was 172. might just have sat nav etc??? dunno. anyway. direct line £794 fc. its getting better. i pay 300 on a claped out astra p reg 3rd party. i am quite chuffed with that quote.

172 Cup

Cant see why they would have a different class for Sat Nav but insurance companies dont make much sense at times.

I know with Direct Line and Tesco they work on a 20 - 90 system rather than the usual 1 - 20. 172 was 66 and the Cup was 67.

Quote: Originally posted by garyvts on 23 November 2003

no. not v6. it was 172. might just have sat nav etc??? dunno. anyway. direct line £794 fc. its getting better. i pay 300 on a claped out astra p reg 3rd party. i am quite chuffed with that quote.
I think you mean the Exclusive. A mk1 172 of which only 172 were made (although rumours suggest there were only 166... ;)). They have different alloys, full leather interiors and only come in Scarab Green.

geordiepaul,

alright mate. if yr serious about selling, i am very interested in what you have. as long as there is nothing wrong. it looks good. i am prepered to pay what ya want, i think, just need to sort a loan out. no probs tho. your not that far away. and had some good quotes for insurance. going out now tho. going weatherspoons for some tea, and maybe a pint. so i will check this tommorrow. see ya.

oh, what is a front splitter?

2012 WRX Waggon

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 22 November 2003

ESP a comfort? ABS a comfort? Xenon lights a comfort? RUBBISH.

Ive just got a CUP with climate. This crap about the CUP being a stripped out barebones racer is stupid. Its far more comfortable then a VTS/106 which are unbearably low geared for motorway driving and are more noisy overall.
Well depends how u define comfort does it not, having life insurance is a comfort, just like ESP/ABS, and yes the xenons are a comfort too! The light from the xenons is ALOT easier to drive with at night - FACT.

And ur right, the CUP is more than a barebones stripped out racer, if it were, they probably wouldnt sell many as it would be totally impractical for everyday use.

Quote: Originally posted by garyvts on 23 November 2003

thats the one exclusive. there is one for sale on auto traider. v cheep. has a 105k on clock tho.
and it was on ebay a few months back, afaik it was 6 grand...

i posted it up on here.

one question is :

how come when i got a quote on a 172 and a cup (identical info just a change of car)

the 172 came out as more ?

allright mate. got the money, for a car. just need to get one. ins and everything is sorted. just need to sort it out with geordiepaul. or ring the garrage tomorrow and get one out of there.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 24 November 2003
one question is :how come when i got a quote on a 172 and a cup (identical info just a change of car)the 172 came out as more ?

The mysteries of insurance companies, how come if I add another named driver my insurance goes down ?

Remapped derv Golf

Heard of a story before of an insurance company quoting a guy for a 1.9 205 but not a 1.6 205! Weird hey! :cry: In fact they would even quote him.

Try living in South London and getting a cheap quote though!:mad:

Also heard adding like say you mum and dad as named drivers put the policy down a tad with some companies. Not sure who though:confused:

Weird! I should know I work for one. Discount is rubbish though!

I found such a marked difference between a Cup and 172 that I thought sod the toys, leather, climate etc, I just wont be happy with a 172. I went for the one that has the wow factor in the handling and performance stakes, which is why I like cars like this in the first place!!

(It obviously would be nice to have the luxuries as well, but not at the expense of the wow factor!!)

The 172 has got the leather, (not brilliant quality) and the toys, but it still displays a fragile poor attempt at quality by Renault, so you may as well buy the Cup which more than makes up for it, and actually feels the more quality car with its better handling characteristics and performance. ( IMO )

Isnt the reason the 182 is coming out because Renault underestimated just how many people out there would want a back to basics performance car like the Cup, (with 172s hardly getting a look in), and this is an attempt to combine the two models to have all the toys of the 172, the handling and performance of the Cup, and a bit of extra performance to cope with the extra weight.