ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

found a 172. some advise please.

hello all. the clio 172 and cup versions are hard to find round my area. finaly found a 172. but i was wondering weather to wait and see if i can get the cup. just wondering is there a noticable diffrence in performance. had a test drive, really nice. noticably faster than my old vts. was impressed. does the cup have a cd player etc. i also like the cup alloys better. however the 172 really impressed es. my head is in a bit of a mix, what to do.????

Volvo S60 T5

Get the 172, got a great list of features, the cups a bit plain for my liking but a little faster but only very slightly. Depends on what you want really but the 172 wins my vote.:)

Clio Dci

the cup has a cd player. if i am being honest then i would say if you can afford it go for the 172 over the cup. i wish i had paid the extra money. at the time i thought 2kish for air con etc was alot but now i wish i had spent the extra money. i have not had a drive of a 172 so cant compare but i cannot imagine the differece between the two onthe road would be that great. its just that the 172 driver will do it in comfort.

Ive never owned either, but Id have thought that if you wanted a Cup then youd be adamant about it. Thats because theyre harder to find, they have less luxuries and cost the same as a 172 (used). So, if you want a Cup then youll know!

thanx. i have wanted one since they first came out, but had to wait to now for insurance etc i have just turned 22. only prob is its in black. all my cars seem to be black. and i am lazy and never hardly clean them. oh well cant win them all.

Quote: Originally posted by Gambler on 22 November 2003

I chose the 172 cos of all the toys and gadgets !!

Thats a typical 172 owners response but its his opinion so I never commented on it.

2012 WRX Waggon

I picked the 172 for the extras.

lets face it 90% of the time ur sat in traffic - might aswell do it in alittle more comfort.

automatic xenon lamps, digital climate control, leather and alcantera, ABS/ESP/EBD - did it for me :D.

ESP a comfort? ABS a comfort? Xenon lights a comfort? RUBBISH.

Ive just got a CUP with climate. This crap about the CUP being a stripped out barebones racer is stupid. Its far more comfortable then a VTS/106 which are unbearably low geared for motorway driving and are more noisy overall.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

If I could have my ideal choice would have been a 172 in the cup blue with cup wheels and suspension setup.

dk

911 GTS Cab

why not wait a week and order a 182 for the same price as the 172, and get its luxury, the Cups Spoilers and performance?

Think hes looking at a second hand buy, just get a year old 172 then add re-map and magnex and you will be making more than 182...:) and save yourself a packet.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 22 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Gambler on 22 November 2003

I chose the 172 cos of all the toys and gadgets !!

Thats a typical 172 owners response but its his opinion so I never commented on it.

not an opinion a fact, the 172 does have all the toys.

172looy what you on about you... _KDF had a dig at me and I responded do you have a problem with that? Can we not even have a bit of banter anymore?

he made an off the cuff remark and you bit IMO, if i was guna get funny id tell you my 172 would run rings round your cup (coilovers) and as for cups being faster ask cbs cup the result of a long race we had at numerous different speeds and in his words there is fook all difference

anyway the poor guy is asking a question and we arent helping imo if you want toys go for the 172 if you dont or you like the blue go for the cup its that simple

We were helping till you posted up and took it off topic, he wanted opinions of both cars and me and _KDF were giving them. But according to you me and _KDF aint even allowed to have some banter, oh its such fun in here now :(

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 23 November 2003

he made an off the cuff remark and you bit IMO, if i was guna get funny id tell you my 172 would run rings round your cup (coilovers) and as for cups being faster ask cbs cup the result of a long race we had at numerous different speeds and in his words there is fook all difference

Ive seen the difference between a Cup and a 172 and there is a noticeable difference in 3rd gear especially.

Oh and I really doubt your 172 is faster than a R Sported Cup (if its standard)

Gary if you do a lot of motorway miles etc and like your comfort then get a 172, it really does feel like a bigger car with the supension being so smooth but still sporty and also the cars got the kit level of a car worth 1000s more (try specing a cooper upto 172/182 spec and see the price!) Only thing id do is add a exhaust and get it chipped. However if your into just going for blasts and dont care about noise levels and harsher suspension get the Cup.

i didnt say it was faster i said myself in my 172 and cbscup in his cup raced between swindon and cheltenham from stationary, rolling starts, speeds upto 130mph and everything inbetween and you couldnt seperate the two cars and that was by his own admission.i dont recall saying my car was faster than one fitted with an r sport ecu

Quote: Originally posted by garyvts on 22 November 2003

hello all. the clio 172 and cup versions are hard to find round my area. finaly found a 172. but i was wondering weather to wait and see if i can get the cup. just wondering is there a noticable diffrence in performance. had a test drive, really nice. noticably faster than my old vts. was impressed. does the cup have a cd player etc. i also like the cup alloys better. however the 172 really impressed es. my head is in a bit of a mix, what to do.????
see that in yellow well he asked the question and i answered it from my experience of a cup and 172 so it is not off topic

172 Cup

Owned both, prefer the Cup.

Mind you I got the car to drive not to sit in looking at my "toys"

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 23 November 2003

Owned both, prefer the Cup.

Mind you I got the car to drive not to sit in looking at my "toys"

I brought my car to drive too strangely enough.

Not driven a cup yet so cant really comment on the difference. I cant imagine its really that different to driving a 172 on the road. I mean if you stick cup wheels on a 172 then they will have the same track as its down to the offset on the wheels. Apart from that in the handling department its only down to weight, being slightly lower and a slight change of camber isnt it?

I might have to eat my words if I ever drive a cup but untill then I really dont think performance wise it would make much difference in everyday use.

Chances are you wont spot the difference in normal driving, you still win a fiar few traffic light Grand Prix with either car.

My personal choice was the 172, however if the 172 came in cup colour and with the wheels Id have been even happier!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 23 November 2003

Chances are you wont spot the difference in normal driving, you still win a fiar few traffic light Grand Prix with either car.

My personal choice was the 172, however if the 172 came in cup colour and with the wheels Id have been even happier!
same here

172 Cup

Living in Cumbria (garyvts not me) where I presume there are some nice roads through the countryside would you be happy to settle for a 172 when the cup would be a much more enjoyable drivers car?

Lets all have a fight...

I prefere the 172s overall package, as Its more grown up like a bigger car with leather/climate etc IMO Its the complete package that is important not just 0-60 and 04 secnds etc... I know life is short an all that but come on

which is why I prefere the 172. no offence cup owners

172 Cup

LOL I love the way all 172 owners just refer to 0-60 times. Its a bit more than that in reality. Fine if you just plan to drive to mothercare but on the open road they would be a bit more difference between the 2 cars.

ha ha . god it was only a simple question. ha ha. cheered me up. anyway. what are ya all doing on here in the early hours of sun morning? get ya self out on the lashhhhhh. i have desided i am just gonna go and get the car i test drove yest. it is the only 2 l 16v in cumbria thats for sale. and i dont have much patiance. thanx for all ya advise. i think i am gonna just go and see renault and get some cup wheels. provided they arnt to expenceve. oh one more q. is climate controle the same as air con?