ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French Cars

Clio Trophy 079/500

Hi guys, my first post so please keep the replies nice.

Ive got a test drive booked for tomorrow in the 182 Cup, and im interested in the Trophy version.

What i want to know is you hear lots about how French cars are badly put together, do the Clios fall into that niche? Ive had a pug for the last three years and bar a few bits of wear and tear its been pretty good (touch wood). So i cant see what peeps are on about French cars.

Your views would be greatly appreciated. What are the dealers like with problems etc..

Thanx

ducks butt

Lee

BMW M2C

They have the odd rattle here and there but they are reliable.

Depends which Pugs you had. The 307 is very well screwed together and feels a little more solid than the Clio. The 206 on the other hand seems a little more flimsy to me.

Clio Trophy 079/500

I had a 205 and that was a bit ropey, but fast as f. Ive got a 306 at the moment, i use it for work so i really put on the miles, its getting to the end of its legs though. So i really fancy a new car.

I looked at the CTR and got the loan sorted, discount sorted and then they stopped making the normal ones and now only sell the 18k special edition.

Just looking at the Clio spec there seems to be bundles more to the car for the price, not too worried about the speed difference just want something i can throw about down the lanes.

Really looking forward to the test drive though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

my 1.2 16V is at 117,00 miles or there about and not one problem yet apart from the gear gator coming loose (common problem) and a blown fuse which is hardly a problem.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Martin_89 on 31 July 2005

my 1.2 16V is at 117,00 miles or there about and not one problem yet apart from the gear gator coming loose (common problem) and a blown fuse which is hardly a problem.
f**k me!!!! what year is that car!!! mines on 78,000miles and its a Yplate 2001

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

2002 02 plate. ex driving school car

feels exactly the same as my mums 2 month old Clio Extreme 4 1.2 16V apart from the bite point being a lot higher and stiff clutch but its getting a new clutch soon anyway

Clio Trophy 079/500

WOW, ive just had my test drive and what a car. Fantastic seats and driving position. Great acceleration and lots of power from low down, pulls in 5th really well too. Lovely colour too, looks much better looking at the car rather than a picture on the web. Seats are a bit special too.

Only niggle is that with the trophy, you dont get climate control or xenons + washers. Ive never had air con in a motor so i doubt id use it all that often. Also the boot doesnt open too high, but id keep the other car for shopping and the like so that doesnt seem to be much of a problem.

But they have offered either 0% finance or a grand off, id probably go for the grand off, as they want a huge deposit for the 0%. Just got to wait to hear from Honda to see if they can match the deal or offer me better otherwise its off to see mister bank manager and borrowing 14,000 of his finest pounds.

TBC.......

Clio Trophy 079/500

What one would the trophy be a MK2/3/4????? i dunno.

Thats what im affraid of, my brother has a megan and he if for ever taking it in to have buttons replaced where they have fallen out/off and wont go back.

oh also its £400 cheaper to insure 182 trophy than CTR, which is a bit of a bonus.

Perfectly reliable, wont/shouldnt break down or have any serious mechanical issues. Only real problems are niggly rattles or poorly fitted trim, easily remedied. Im on my Second Mk2 RS and neither have had any problems.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 01 August 2005
Its a MK2 Phase 2 btw.

182 and Trophy are Mk2 Phase 3.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 01 August 2005

Its a MK2 Phase 2 btw.

Different colour headlamp shells and minor interior revisions. I know what you mean but i wouldnt class it as a phase 3 as the body is the same shape.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 01 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 01 August 2005 Its a MK2 Phase 2 btw.
[/QUOTE]

182 and Trophy are Mk2 Phase 3.Different colour headlamp shells and minor interior revisions. I know what you mean but i wouldnt class it as a phase 3 as the body is the same shape.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, but Renault refer to it as the Phase 3. Plus there were a lot more changes under the skin as you know, the track for example was changed.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 01 August 2005Totally unreliable turd. Expect lots of visits to the dealers.Based on your vast experience of owning one im sure :sleep:

Thats very true.......when driving around in a 12 year old car. lol

Its a MK2 Phase 2 btw.

Different colour headlamp shells and minor interior revisions. I know what you mean but i wouldnt class it as a phase 3 as the body is the same shape.

I know what you mean, but Renault refer to it as the Phase 3. Plus there were a lot more changes under the skin as you know, the track for example was changed.

true, the phase1/2 mk 1/2 seem to confuse people enough though lol.

VaVa

Mk2 Phase 2 RS-3 imho. How confusing. lol.

Its a differnet phase of the Renaultsport Clio - The basic model remained basically unchanged. imho.

The Jinx

I have owned a mk2 phase 2 clio. Ive also owned other new-ish french hatches. My opinion is drawn from ownership of my previous car and experiences of my parents whove had 2 mk2 clios and a new megane.

Oh, and all the daily posts on here about something going horribly wrong with their new clio.

PSA group build quality is far higher though, that I will agree with.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 01 August 2005I have owned a mk2 phase 2 clio. Ive also owned other new-ish french hatches. My opinion is drawn from ownership of my previous car and experiences of my parents whove had 2 mk2 clios and a new megane.

Oh, and all the daily posts on here about something going horribly wrong with their new clio.

PSA group build quality is far higher though, that I will agree with.

The current generation of Pugs are nicely put together, they almost have a Germanic feel about them. However, my bosses 2 year old 307 HDi Turbo thing has just had to have a new clutch, flywheel and alternator!! My Clios have never had anything major go and they have been tracked and quarter miled.

The Jinx

My AX and Xsara were utterly faultless after many years of service. A lot of it is the luck of the draw, but Im just trying to provide a balance to what everyone else has said.

French cars are, more often than not, going to have the odd problem. There is also, IMO, a greater risk of getting a sh*tter right from the get go.

Id say tread carefully. Personally, it wouldnt put me off buying another french car. My main reason for not touching a new renault would be that there is not one dealer in the manchester area (and outlying areas) that I would wish to deal with ever again. Thats the worst point, and its the kind of thing car reviews fail to mention.

Lee

BMW M2C

My Pug 306 GTi-6 was faultless.

The 2.0 litre Focus I had as a company car for 2 and a half years and cleared 50k in never had a single fault.

None of my Clios have ever been off the road, they have just had niggles.

Both of mine have been driven hard and not had issues with either of them. Had a Renault 5 Gt turbo before and that was good as gold in the two years i had it. Some cars get a bad reputation wrongly IMO.

Clio Trophy 079/500

Yep after a lot of thought, im going to order the trophy on Wedensday, the girl in the showroom said 7-10 days which isnt too long.

How long did you guys run the engine/clutch/brakes in before you opened the car up and gave her some welly?

Get the oil up to temperature and open it up. Not bouncing off the limiter stuff but dont fanny about keeping the revs under 4k. Once its warm then dont be afraid to give it a work out.

Clio Trophy 079/500

What do the cars rev too, i was a bit reluctant to take the test car over 5, but there seemed to be much more left.

The Jinx

Gun it from the off once its warm.

The general consensus is that cars ragged from new tend to be quick but die young, whereas cars that are wrapped in cotton wool tend to be slower but live longer.

Not sure how true that old wives tale is anymore.