ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

from 1.2 to 182 2.0 (i hope)

Hi i have a clio 1.2 16v billabong 2003 (52plate) Im looking
to put
a 182 engine into my car but not sure how hard it will be and which
parts i
need off a clio 182. Can you give me any info on the engine swop or pass me onto somebody who can help me.
Thanks lindon
contact me @ mailto:lindon_jackson@yahoo.co.uk">lindon_jackson@yahoo.co.uk

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i have one simple bit of advice.

Dont. it could cost you thousands.

Simple thing is to buy the whole front of a 172/182/Cup.

Youd need the engine, subframe, wishbones, driveshafts, new ecu (£200) then use the 2.0 brakes and err somehow fix the ABS either with a 172 rear axle or forget it and go to bias valve.

172 are so cheap now its cheaper (not as unique) to buy one plus you get the suspension and bodykit etc.

As for cost your looking at £3k Id say assuming very cheap ie mates rates. You car +£3k will get an equivalent 172 very often.

R26

Nutter! just buy a 2.0 and put the billabong kit on it if thats what you want. Make some money back by selling on the sport kit rflol

There is no problem getting all the stuff to do it as my dad has nearly got everything. From back axle to ecu to engine and wiring loom. My mate has already said that he wil fit it for me. Brakes no problem as i have bought 325mm discs and 4 pot calipers. Just thought some1 mite know some1 hows done it. As for buying a 172/182 the insurance is about £4000+ And whats better doing it yourself and be proud or buying 1 thats already done (boring).

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by cliolindon on 12 October 2004

There is no problem getting all the stuff to do it as my dad has nearly got everything. From back axle to ecu to engine and wiring loom. My mate has already said that he wil fit it for me. Brakes no problem as i have bought 325mm discs and 4 pot calipers. Just thought some1 mite know some1 hows done it. As for buying a 172/182 the insurance is about £4000+ And whats better doing it yourself and be proud or buying 1 thats already done (boring).
And 1.2 modded to be a 182 will be even more. Seriously I would just by a 172/182.

Street Triple R

dont do it, definately one of the more daft ideas ive heard of! lol

imagine all that work! for nothing! you should just buy a 172,

The insurance will be more than if it was a normal 172 anyway

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

your w asting your time mate. you would spend nearly ten on spare parts. a 182 is a different car all round. it has wider track, which means wider driveshafts, different hubs, shocks, steering rack, longer wheelbase, and so on. buy one, simple as mate.

There is no problem getting all the stuff to do it as my dad has nearly got everything. From back axle to ecu to engine and wiring loom. My mate has already said that he wil fit it for me. Brakes no problem as i have bought 325mm discs and 4 pot calipers. Just thought some1 mite know some1 hows done it.
You need a new ECU (an R-Sport one gives you 8k redline which is £200 otherwise its £300 for a stock Renault one I think). The old ECU wont work as its programmed for the old cars keys and UCH only way to get it to work is to swop the UCH and keys which is a pain dont bother trying to use the old ECU.

As for brakes well there are rwo options (assuming the ABS is staying) one is to use the front brakes, along with calipers, wishbones, drive shafts and all those bits etc and swop to the 172 rear axle as well.

If you want to use the normal uprated setup you have then youll have to have custom shafts made up which is t worth the hasle since the 172 has better track.

Youll also have the hasle of deciding what to do about stearing as the normal cars have electric racks the 2.0 have hydrolic if you can get the electric rack to work etc then you have to try and decide what to do about the normal pump which is powered on the AUX belt.

No one has done a Mk 2 2 172 etc transplant as buying a 172 is often less.

CB1A off here did a 172 into a mk2 1 Clio but we never found out how easy etc it was and he didnt have ABS.

Me thinks he isnt going to tell his insurance company that his car has sprouted wings and can will be able to fly!

Quote: Originally posted by cnic69 on 12 October 2004

Me thinks he isnt going to tell his insurance company that his car has sprouted wings and can will be able to fly!
yes, does he realise his insurance will mean sh*t ????????, as above just buy a cup,in fact buy mine that im selling

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Might as well get a 172 cup, will work out to be the same price prob.... After u got brakes as well etc...... Or like they siad get a 182 with the goodies

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Quote: Originally posted by DoddCup on 12 October 2004

buy a 172 Cup in your dads name and insure it. Im 18 and pay £1400. Easy as........
I pay £720 muhahahaha lol (and im 18 for the record)

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Yeh kinda, i read into it the other day, goes under dads name, for business use, and personal, but anyone can drive it with his permision.... But at the ned of it all the drivers still get there ncb? Aint complaining ;)

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 12 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by DoddCup on 12 October 2004

buy a 172 Cup in your dads name and insure it. Im 18 and pay £1400. Easy as........
I pay £720 muhahahaha lol (and im 18 for the record)
Huh Huh! I pay £640

Although I am 25 ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 12 October 2004
Quote: Originally posted by DoddCup on 12 October 2004buy a 172 Cup in your dads name and insure it. Im 18 and pay £1400. Easy as........[/QUOTE]I pay £720 muhahahaha lol (and im 18 for the record)

i pay NOTHING! mmmmmmmwwwwwwwwuuuuuHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

company insurance rules!!!!!! as does free petrol ;o)

P

peterh2

For an inexperienced driver with winter coming up this all sounds extremely dangerous to me. If you have to get a performance car I would at least go for the 182 as then you will at least get ABS.

Full Fat 182 - Was..

Mate your a total tw*t!

you think that buying a 172 / 182 will cost you £4000 in insurance, then how much do you f**king think a modded 1.2 with a 2.0 engine in it will cost! the insurance companies wont touch you if your under 25 with a modded car.

your stupid to even atempt the modification, id love to see you try it and f**k it up. And if you do do it then please come on up and ill give you a race, and an arse kicking

youd be better off buying a proper 172 / 182 and insuring it on your dads name and modding that coz even if you do find someone to insure you on a modded 1.2 conversion itll still cost you mega bucks.

and if your not going to tell the insurance company that youve modded your 1.2 then you are a w**ker and need to get busted by the pigs

:devilish:

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 13 October 2004

For an inexperienced driver with winter coming up this all sounds extremely dangerous to me. If you have to get a performance car I would at least go for the 182 as then you will at least get ABS.
You get it with the 172 aswell

Quote: Originally posted by James 182 on 13 October 2004

you think that buying a 172 / 182 will cost you £4000 in insurance, then how much do you f**king think a modded 1.2 with a 2.0 engine in it will cost! the insurance companies wont touch you if your under 25 with a modded car.
Some companies will insure transplant cars for little extra ontop of a normal car. Liverpool Victoria used to be like this (not sure if they still are 100%) but it was £40 or something a year extra for any engine transplant I wanted and I was 20.

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by James 182 on 13 October 2004
Quote: Originally posted by cliolindon on 12 October 2004There is no problem getting all the stuff to do it as my dad has nearly got everything. From back axle to ecu to engine and wiring loom. My mate has already said that he wil fit it for me. Brakes no problem as i have bought 325mm discs and 4 pot calipers. Just thought some1 mite know some1 hows done it. As for buying a 172/182 the insurance is about £4000+ And whats better doing it yourself and be proud or buying 1 thats already done (boring). Mate your a total tw*t!you think that buying a 172 / 182 will cost you £4000 in insurance, then how much do you f**king think a modded 1.2 with a 2.0 engine in it will cost! the insurance companies wont touch you if your under 25 with a modded car.your stupid to even atempt the modification, id love to see you try it and f**k it up. And if you do do it then please come on up and ill give you a race, and an arse kickingyoud be better off buying a proper 172 / 182 and insuring it on your dads name and modding that coz even if you do find someone to insure you on a modded 1.2 conversion itll still cost you mega bucks.and if your not going to tell the insurance company that youve modded your 1.2 then you are a w**ker and need to get busted by the pigs:devilish:[/QUOTE]

Nice friendly post there....

Im 20 with no points but no no claims.

Im just guna put a hole 182 into a 1.2 how hard is that guna be!!!!!!!!!!

As for buying one its called money been a problem!!!!!!!

Your wasting your time IMO - seen people do this loads of times over the years.

You will never get your cash back - it will always be a 1.2 with a transplant. Not many on here want one so who is going to buy it when you want to sell? Someone will but not for what its cost you!!

Also as posted at the start - the difference is not just engine and brakes!

What about the chassis also? Will this not be stronger on the 172/182?

Da

Less

Mate, I understand why your wanting to do this (I drive a 1.2 too!) and Ive contemplated this a few times in my mind! But believe me, Im only offering friendly advice here by the way, i seriously wouldnt attempt this. It is possible to do, im not saying it isnt, but as stated before this will cost literally thousands to complete. The problems you could encounter on the way, including brakes, chassis, gearbox, suspension...etc...etc would all need upgrading/changing. Again, as stated before, the insurance could be a problem too, not to mention the amount of man hours this would take to complete. Can you really afford your car to be off road for so much time?? I know i couldnt! The money you spend on this conversion will be dead money cos youll never get the full value back wen you sell on. In my honest opinion I would build up your no claims on your 1.2 and save the cash you want to spend on the conversion till you can insure a 182 then go out and buy a spankin new one mate. All only my opinion tho matey... ;)

H22A7 Accord Type R

my only view on this is the fact that the 172 / 182 is made by RENAULT SPORT, its a whole different package altogether, and you really would be better buying a proper one for the whole experience. Why not just turbocharge yours or something if you are after a little more oomph?? Rob.

Yeah but rob, how easy is it to turbo charge a 1.2? surely you would need to ugrade lots of engine parts anyway, and if the turbo conversion for the 172 is going to cost around £3000-£5000 then how much would it be to have one specially done on a 1.2??

Would love to turbo my 1.2 though!