ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From GT4 to clio?

Hi guys,

Im looking to MAYBE downgrade from my Celica GT4, well i say downgrade, maybe down-speed, due to a career change that will mean lots of driving.

Ive always quite liked the clio's and since my baby is about 340bp i didnt want a car that was boring.

I was looking at a 172 ph1 or 2 - what sort of mpg can i expect? insurance etc and whats a fair price for a lowish mileage clio?

Thanks in advance.

standard 172s can get 35mpg. once remapped with the rstuner or a custom map you can see 35-37mpg normal town driving. I average about 40 on the motorway.

Im asuming as you have a gt4 your not going to be super young but it just depends on your age.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Wouldn't particular class the GT4 as a upgrade to the Clio...more of a side step.

Mpg, high 20's.
Insurance less than your GT4
Fair price - 3-4k. Personally i'd go for a 182, or if you can stretch to it a trophy. - The latter being a bit more focused or equivalent to your GT4.

Welcome.

HI thanks for the info.

Im 28 at the moment.

I would like a 182 but i was looking to put some money in my back pocket hence the 172.

Rusty Cup
the change might be nice if your bored/annoyed at high running costs. Good luck in finding the right car :) i would be tempted to look at ph1 172's as you'll have more cash to play with.

Evo 8 MR
Get either a ph1 or a cup imo.

You can easily see mid to high 30's on the motorway and low 30's around town but only if you give it a good run on the weekend. From my experience if you potter around for longer than a week the mpg drops to high 20's and lower if you have a heavy foot.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
MPG is superb on the 1*2's considering they are a fairly highly tuned 2.0 engine, my cousin has consistently get high 30's and he has quite a heavy foot. This was in his 1*2 and 1*2, its just a shame the 197/200 didnt carry this practise on!

this is my car anyway :D

65465.jpg

1234-2.jpg

Clio 182
I went from a GT4 running around 300bhp to a FF 182 and haven't looked back!

The first vast improvement (aside from the handling) was the mpg, my GT4 returned 14 - 17mpg and the Clio with a heavy right foot gives 30 - 33mpg

Good luck with the search!

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
GRRRRR and lol at a side step to a Trophy.

Get a Williams, you almost had one or should I say your boy did ;)

Good luck

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Williamses are brilliant, but they are an expensive toy... cost more to buy a good one than a Phase 2 172 and have higher running costs :( I'd have another in a heartbeat if they had galvanised them from the factory.

Renualtsport Clio 172 ph1
I went from a 320bhp MR2 to a phase 1 172. It was a definate downgrade in pace but certainly not in terms of fun. The clios handling is such fun that I have kept it over 3 years now. And the dirt cheap running costs compared to other cars I've owned is a bonus!

I would recommend a phase 1 over a phase 2 172. Lighter, maybe a bit quicker, and to my eyes more agressive looking.

Having looked i'd deffinately want a cup....

see how the job pans out - then i will join membership and begin selling mine.

MINI-R32-integrale
I sold my late 1996 facelift JDM ST205 GT4 which you may have seen pictures of if you were a member of GT4OC. White with black 18" OZ Super T's lots of rare genuine optional extras; red TRD front seats, projector headlamps, Toyota/MOMO steering wheel, silver dash panels, alloy pedal covers, sunroof & climate control, s/s sill covers etc etc

I covered 18k in 14 trouble free months but felt it was to nice a car to use on 60 mile daily commute even though I easily achieved 28mpg, & mid 30's on long motorway runs.

I bought my Clio Trophy & although I miss the Celica i don't regret it, always had soft spot for small French hatches having owned 2 GT Turbos & a Series 1 106 Rallye.

Plus I get to see & drive my old Celica as guy who bought it keeps it garages now with his Lancia integrale EVO2.

How long where you on the GT4OC for?

Suprised you dont recognize mine as i bought it of Ross who owns japex performance ( sponsor )

It was my 2nd GT4 and having bought it from a guy who worked for toyota for 10+ years and won mechanic of the year a couple of times was very reassuring :D

tbh IF it goes i will be mortified...it never fails to turn heads when i go past and im always been stopped to ask questions.

Beautiful cars.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
172 Cup is the one to have, mine's covered over 120k in my hands from new and it still rips along quite nicely.

Always had a soft spot for the GT4 after a mate had a standard 170bhp GT.

Never realised how heavy they were though :eek:

With the standard 240bhp they're only 166 bhp/ton...which is very close to any of the RS Clios :approve:

MINI-R32-integrale
I have same user name on GT4OC as here, but let my membership lapse. My car was on the stand at last years club stand at Jap Tuning Show @ Silverstone.

I loved my GT4, it also had genuine C-one motorsport front lip (Fensport do copy as does some guy on club now) & rear which going from owners club only one in UK. Same guy wanted to copy mine.

It also ran a Blitz Access ecu, Nurspec R exhaust, White Line rear anti-roll bar, brand new genuine KYB/Toyota dampers, TRD top mounts & Tein spring s as when I imported it it was fitted with Tein height adjustable coil-overs & they were awful. & Tein UK based in Milton Keynes wanted over £1000 to rebuild & revolve them, so sold them on, it was so so much better on the set up I fitted.

For poster above UK GT4 was 239bhp JDM 255PS (roughly 251bhp) fitting the Blitz Access/Mines/Apexi ecu that many JDM cars had gave roughly 275bhp & better fuel economy hence why folk paid £600 for them as standard ecu not mappable.

Weigh about 1400kgs, ST205 lighter than older ST185 iirc and will do 150+mph without much effort.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I recall seeing you and your GT4 on SISOC along with your Delta, it looked really nice tbh

I loved my GT4, it also had genuine C-one motorsport front lip (Fensport do copy as does some guy on club now) & rear which going from owners club only one in UK. Same guy wanted to copy mine.

It also ran a Blitz Access ecu, Nurspec R exhaust, White Line rear anti-roll bar, brand new genuine KYB/Toyota dampers, TRD top mounts & Tein spring s as when I imported it it was fitted with Tein height adjustable coil-overs & they were awful. & Tein UK based in Milton Keynes wanted over £1000 to rebuild & revolve them, so sold them on, it was so so much better on the set up I fitted.

Niee spec mate,

im running

Tein springs
Full Nurspec R
Aussie downpipe
Heatwrapped downpipe
FMIC
Lagged intercooler pipes
Blitz EBC DC boost controller
Blitz boost guage
GReddy emanage Blue + harness - fully mapped at Tuningdevelopments.co.uk
Blitz dump valve
APEXI induction kit
Toyota side skirts and C-ONE rear spoiler ( V rare )

I also have an omex rev limiter with launch control i planned on installing once i got an uprated clutch.

My last GT4 was RR'd at 319bp 295ftlb which kungfu can confirm :D still got the footage. He'll also tell you this one is faster :D i'd guess maybe 330+ but with much more torque also from the FMIC.

I will be coming to the trafford meet tomorrow anyway

MINI-R32-integrale
I recall seeing you and your GT4 on SISOC along with your Delta, it looked really nice tbh

Yeah still have my integrale, and I gave my Ignis to my mum, I cringe every time I see the state of the optional 16" San Remo alloys it had fitted, or cracked front optional fog light

The GT4 was great, and as said the only GT4 that I ever came across that had the gorgeous red TRD front seats and genuine Toyota MOMO steering wheel which was really nice. It also had genuine TRD quickshift kit fitted I bought in from a Toyota dealer in the USA as NLA anywhere else, was new old stock, and TRD white duracon gearknob.

Unfortunately like many performance older (expensive when new) Jap cars many are in a very poor condition, or have some horrible modifications which totally devalue them. But I sold mine with 2 days of being on sale for more than any listed on Piston Heads at present, and had so many offers for it, as it was just a very clean example with low miles and tasteful and where available genuine Toyota/TRD modifications, every single issue with suspension addressed as I changed both fig 8's, both lower arms and ones banana arm plus fitted machined alloy crush tubes.

But my overall favorite bit of my car was my the centre consol where I had Defi DIN gauges (water temp, oil temp & pressure) and a a Bluapunkt headunit which had same finish and lighting colours, they looked like they were made to go with each other.

To OP, you will not regret buying a Clio, they are fantastic bits of kit for the money.