ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From Saab to Renault...

Hi all,

I currently drive a Saab 9000 Aero, with a few subtle mods. In a straight line it pure rips, honestly sounds like a jet!

I used to own a golf mk2 16v gti - and although a lot slower, I miss the fun that it would give....

I've looked a few other cars (mainly corolla T sports) but I think the clio is going to give me the most smiles. I've tried a civic too and its not comfortable to live with.

I will use the car daily, but only 10 or so miles. I like the idea of being able to do a track day or two as well.

I'm thinking of a Clio 182 with all the mod cons (as firstly it's a daily driver).

What do you guys reckon? I could stretch to a trophy - but is it a good idea? I like having the rarer things, and they hold their value better...

I have owned loads of MK2 Golf GTI's and they are incredible cars. Owned a Saab 9-5 Aero estate a few years back and loved it as you mention in a straight line they are incredible and on long journeys but they are not very good when it comes to corners.
I have a black gold Clio 182 now and love it. It seems to cover all the bases for me and when it comes to corners it is just incredible. If you feel you can stretch to a Trophy then it would be that I would go for. Love the car I have now so much that my next car will be a Trophy.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along mate

The Trophy will hold their value more but command a premium in the first place. I really like them and you don't see many on the road , serving of the front Sachs have come down in price aswel but check when they were last done when looking at cars

Listerine & Poledo
If you're just after a semi-comfortable daily that steers well, avoid anything with "Cup" written near it.
A "normal" Clio 182 will be a significant change in driving anyway, I can't imagine you'll miss the extra 0.0000001g that a cup pack will provide

Well the saab has gone and I now have a RB 182!
It's been having a slow makeover, both visual and mechanical.
Think I will start a thread to cover it more....

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
welcome along m8, impreza works has gone the other way from clio to saab,well he is getting on a bit

Ph1 172 & Saab 9-5
I've got a 9-5 Aero and a Ph1 172. The Clio doesn't feel at all quick coming from the Saab, but it's so much more fun to drive. I'm not sure I could swap one for the other though like you have though, the wafty, silent progress the Saab makes on long runs is fabulous, but then the chuckability of the Clio is just as addictive when i'm on my own.

WildCards26 - I know exactly what you mean!

The clio felt bland to start with, I kept waiting for the power to kick in but it doesn't like the Saab did.

But... I've started going the windy way to work and the difference in the corners is night and day. There is a country lane by me with some flowing corners and in the wet I would be pushing my luck doing 40-45mph in the Saab. In comparison, the clio is completely happy at 60mph (and it's currently on Kuhmo's).

I also have a bike so straight line speed isn't important to me anymore, I wanted a small hot hatch for some summer fun - and so far I think I've made the right choice! :D