ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front brake disc alignment?

Megane
Quick question, should the front discs run perfectly parrallel to the brake pad carrier?

Only reason I ask is that when i changed my discs a couple of weeks back the carrier on the passenger side, didn't seem to sit completly parrallel, where there is about 0.5-1mm diffference in the gap between the top and bottom of the carrier, and my brakes on that side are squealing.

Has something warped, or could something be bent in the hub? the wheel runs perfectly so I'm guessing its not the driveshaft.

Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers

ex Clio 172 owner :(
If they're squealing it's usually due to not having enough copper grease on the back of the pads and calipers.

Just make sure none of the grease gets onto the discs or the friction side of the pads.

I doubt whether anythings warped. Try the grease first.

Megane
yep I've seen that thread, but I havn't had time to do that yet.
It's just that the pad carrier on the passenger side isn't parrallel, whereas the drivers side is which doesn't squeal. I was just wondering if that is normal is all, and I really don'ty want my pads to wear unevenly is all..

Cheers

ex Clio 172 owner :(
If you think it isn't parrallel I'd take it back to bits and make sure all the bolts fit squarely and true. If it was fine before you took it off then it should be ok still.

Make sure the caliper sliders are moving freely too.

Did you take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir when you were pushing the pistons back in before fitting the pads?

Megane
When the old pads came off they had worn a little unevenly, so it might have been like it since it was built, or somethings gone awry.

All the caliper slides were fully greased and free, and the piston moved back fairly easily, with the resorvoir cap off....

Maybe they just need abit of hard braking to get them in the mood... a small blast is in order me thinks...