ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front shocks, not retracting?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all,
Ordered front suspension (shocks and springs) for a non-cup 172.
Normally, I'd prime a shock by pushing the piston along its stroke a couple of times, letting it naturally return to its original position.
The shocks I've received though, stay in whatever position they've been set. I've had to pull them out, and then in and out a few times, but it stays where it is.
I'd normally assume a shock not returning to its normal position is knackered, although a knackered one is usually also very easy to push/pull, which these don't, so wanted to know if this is just a Renaultsport Clio thing.
Ta!

Ive had new cup shocks before and both returned to there original position after pushing them in. One of the old shocks I took off didnt revert back to original position and was fooked.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I should have said, they will return slowly after being pushed in. Not just stay there.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Ordered brand new.
When I pull them all the way out, they do appear to retract a little, but not rebound to the same extent as the rear shocks when I replaced those.

I got some from ECPs like that and decided not to fit them as it seemed wrong. Ended up buying gen renault cup shocks in the end as they didn't do this

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Pretty sure they will be right, if they were to fire straight back up imagine how bad the ride would be!

Hi all,
Ordered front suspension (shocks and springs) for a non-cup 172.
Normally, I'd prime a shock by pushing the piston along its stroke a couple of times, letting it naturally return to its original position.
The shocks I've received though, stay in whatever position they've been set. I've had to pull them out, and then in and out a few times, but it stays where it is.
I'd normally assume a shock not returning to its normal position is knackered, although a knackered one is usually also very easy to push/pull, which these don't, so wanted to know if this is just a Renaultsport Clio thing.
Ta!
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-cup-shocks-oil-or-gas.796640/#post-11164683