ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front suspension refresh - seeking advice

Clio 172 2003
Hi there. This is my first post, hope it's nothing too stupid but I'm clueless here. ;)
Today my Clio 172 (a very recent purchase) passed an MOT, but I had an advisory note stating that my front left shock absorber is bent. I am thinking of getting a set of new shocks, potentially cup, and while I'm at it I'd like to carry out a little refresh of front suspension. I'm happy with the grip, but the steering feels pretty loose and vague (which is probably mainly down to old shitty Chinese tyres that the previous owner fitted.)

So while the shocks are being replaced, which bushes/ball-joints are easy to get to, so that the labour cost wouldn't ruin me?
Would you recommend stock bushes, purple powerflex or stongflex? Is anything else worth doing while at it?
I'm a typical road user, no mad driving but I do highly value the tight&direct but supple ride of good modern cars. ATM mine is heavily on the supple side ;)

Thanks in advance.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Depends on how far you want to go really, most things are easily accessible (with the exception of steering rack bushes)

If it's only road driving I'd suggest a pair of genuine lower arms as these will come complete with balls joints, inner and outer track rods, if the steering rack bushes have never been changed then youd probably benefit from doing these as well but they're not the easiest to do with everything attached to the car.

Whilst you're doing the shocks you may as well change the top mounts at the same time, and from past experience I'd suggest replacing the rears too if they haven't been done recently, these alone made a big difference to the way my car handled when it was still on the road

Ads

Clio 172 2003
Thank you guys. I'll try to get all that done. But think I'll leave it on stock springs as I don't wanna go low. Cheers :)

monaco 172
Thank you guys. I'll try to get all that done. But think I'll leave it on stock springs as I don't wanna go low. Cheers :smile:
Maybe consider eibatch prolines then. They don't really lower the car but if your refreshing it then at least you won't have to worry about a snapped spring or any of the front end for a few years.

Genuine springs are expensive to replace individually.

new dampers (renault)
new bottom arms (renault)
springs, i like h&r. nice spring and they don't look like crap after a couple of years.
new top mounts, aftermarket are fine.
track rods and ends, i use febi.
inner and outer arb bushes, powerflex.
rack bushes, powerflex.
This.

Although my understanding was that OEM bushes might be better for road use. (Says he, with polybushes on his current road car LOL)

Springs-wise, consider the cup springs - they lower by about 5mm, so not excessive, but make a bit of a difference :)

dan's cast offs.
This.

Although my understanding was that OEM bushes might be better for road use. (Says he, with polybushes on his current road car LOL)

Springs-wise, consider the cup springs - they lower by about 5mm, so not excessive, but make a bit of a difference :smile:

have found the difference to be minimal with the powerflex.

Clio 172 2003
Cheers everyone. Thanks to you I'm starting to get a good idea of what to do.

I'm looking to do it on the cheap, as there are other things the car needs, I've bought it for £680 and I'm an Automotive Engineering Graduate only looking for the first job. The car looks nice, Interior is mint (2 previous owners & 90k miles) is pretty straight and a sound as a base for what will be a great car, but the previous owner was an older lady, who couldn't keep up with the maintenance + her garage was screwing her over on subpar parts and exaggerated bills and a few other little things need to be put right. Then there is one, big thing that needs to be put right: a dephaser, and we all know what replacing this bugger involves. (btw. if you know somebody who can make a good job off it on the cheap within reasonable distance from North London, let me know :wink: )

Also I don't know how long I'll keep this car, but I've already gotten attached to it and my OCD's don't allow me to leave all the little problems. All i know is I'm not leaving it on these crap tyres and with a bent shock, because this will be my missus' driving license learner car and safety comes first + i'd like to experience it when it handles properly. :smile:

Long story short I think if the springs aren't worn, I'll keep them. From looking at the service history that came with the car, both front ones snapped in recent years and got replaced so I'll keep them. Also for me the height at which the car sits now is perfect, just might add spacers in the rear at some point as the wheels sit quite deep inside the arch. While I'm replacing the shocks, I think I'll probably get new control arms, track rods, rod ends, arb bushes (and the rack bush depending on the extra labour involved). At some point soon I'll get the new rear shocks and beam bushes and I am sure this will be enough to make a huge difference.

BTW. are 172 & 172 cup arms any different? Same question for shocks, I know the bolt spacing for them is the same, but what about damping characteristics?

Last edited:
  monaco 172
172 Cup shocks are slightly stiffer but fit fine.

Arms are the same.

Have you checked the damper is defiantly bent? I can't see how a shock could get bent without causing some serious damage to the arms or subframe in a nick big enough to bend something

Clio 172 2003
Nope, I haven't. The MOT technician said it's bent. The alignment is clearly off though. The front left, where the shock is allegedly bent has more camber than the right and while driving straight the steering wheel is off about 5 degrees to the left. The car drives pretty normally (but again I think the crap tyres are hiding a lot as they feel like they're made out of playdoh.) not pulling to any side when driving. However right after buying it I did brake hard a few times to bring the pads back from the 6 year long winter sleep and when the front wheels locked up (why did they, where was my ABS then? :wink: ) the car pulled slightly to the left.

The mechanic said although the shock is bent, it's not leaky and is still operational, so it's not an MOT failure but an advisory note. Judging by the state of the wheels the car probably hit every kerb in the village where it spent last 6 years a bent strut wouldn't surprise me. :wink:

Last edited: