ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Suspension Top mount has Excessive play

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Had my tracking looked at but come back with "Front Suspension Top mount has Excessive play" now i've put the strut top washer fix things on and wondering if these could have done it? And how do i check for play in the top mount, jack the car up and wobble the suspension?

Lionel Richie
possibly, i had renault "claim" the front top mounts were shot on my V6, but i think its due to the washers

when the car is in the air on the ramp the strut is free to wobble about more than usual (with washers fitted)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmm but they said they couldn't do the tracking because of it. Surely this wobbling is not good?

Cup'd Monaco 172
Does the washer essentially push the strut away from the car to stop is knocking?

Are you on the original rubbers? They could be knackered, mine are.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I see. Thanks.

My washers are still sat in my ash tray. Will fit when I change my top mounts rubbers in a couple of weeks.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How much is a new bearing and rubber? Can you get them fred?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^thanks for the reply

Anyone know is these are available at GSF?

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
no, it lifts the top cap up off the body, doesn't alter the shock at all

Is it possible it may stop the top cap functioning fully as it is lifted 3mm further away?
Is a 1.6mm thick version worth considering?

Also, is the Renault fix so bad? My strut tops are lightly burred up on one edge (o/s at 1-2 o'clock & n/s at 10-11 o'clock). I hadn't noticed any knocking when cornering with my FK coilovers. I understand Renault have not quite worked it out right but is there a problem just taking a bit of the edge away with a die grinder/dremmel.
As i'm now going back to standard set up I want to eliminate this issue and implement to best fix to stop it occuring.

possibly, i had renault "claim" the front top mounts were shot on my V6, but i think its due to the washers

when the car is in the air on the ramp the strut is free to wobble about more than usual (with washers fitted)

Fred, do you think is this why I've had an MOT advisory on excessive play in the top mount only to be told there's nothing wrong with it when I took it to the garage for replacement?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
These the parts?
FEBI n/a 609745000 TOP STRUT BEARING - FRONT RENAULT CLIO/TWINGO
TOP BEARING
Available.gif
£7.81 SASIC n/a 625745300 SHOCK TOP MOUNT CLIO HEIGHT 41MM LIP ON BOTTOM
RUBBER MOUNT HEIGHT 41MM

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I notced my 182 strut tops have been modded, but looks like from the factory, as there is no new paint etc. They are different shaped from my 172 Cup units

Volvo S60 T5
Call GSF or Euro car parts , get them to cross referance this parts number on webcat...

Thats a full kit.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I have ordered the parts you mention above, but I haven't collected them yet. So can't say if its the correct part yet.

Lionel Richie
no, it lifts the top cap up off the body, doesn't alter the shock at all

Is it possible it may stop the top cap functioning fully as it is lifted 3mm further away?

Also, is the Renault fix so bad? My strut tops are lightly burred up on one edge (o/s at 1-2 o'clock & n/s at 10-11 o'clock). I hadn't noticed any knocking when cornering with my FK coilovers. I understand Renault have not quite worked it out right but is there a problem just taking a bit of the edge away with a die grinder/dremmel.
As i'm now going back to standard set up I want to eliminate this issue and implement to best fix to stop it occuring.

the top cap is only there to stop the strut from falling off

i think it would be an idea to remove the washers before MOT

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Call GSF or Euro car parts , get them to cross referance this parts number on webcat...

Thats a full kit.

Phoned EuroCarParts, That number comes up as a single part he said for clios before 1998?, and when he types in my number plate it comes up with a completey different thing.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150

the top cap is only there to stop the strut from falling off

i think it would be an idea to remove the washers before MOT

Cheers Fred.