ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel vent/ carbon canister removal

197ff, 172
Hi All

I've finally got around to getting my 172 ready to go back on the road/track days. I pulled out the carbon canister to make room for brake ducts and got thinking that it would probably be a good idea to use some sort of fuel vent to let these fumes out. So I searched the forum and it seems that if you simply blank the vent off the tank starts to pressurise and some people suggested using a 1 way vent to let the gas out. But then when I was looking at vents it seems that some breathers (mainly motorbikes) vent air in to compensate for the fuel level decreasing and creating a vacuum!

so does the tank get pressurised because of a build up or is there more likely to be a vacuum? To be honest I don't fancy either scenario.

any suggestions on what to use would be appreciated but needs to be cheap because the car is a bit of a money pit at the moment

thanks in advance
Kyke

Last edited:
  RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I removed my carbon canister, the other night.

Blocked the top breather with a short M12 bolt and jubilee clip. I taped the wire up and cable tied it out the way I was a bit unsure about what to do with the tank vent pipe, so I followed it half way along the underside of the car, tucked it away and cable tied it.

​Gaz.

197ff, 172
I've just realised the tank probably has a separate breather to let air in. Yeah I think as long as its secure just tucking it out the way should be alright. I was thinking about trying to get it back up toward the filler neck area.

Did you remove the solenoid bit altogether gaz? I read somewhere that it will throw up a dash light or limp mode

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
No mate. I removed the canister and bracket. Everything else is still there but neatly tucked away, just incase it starts to play up, I can refit without much work.