ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funniest Thing You Have Been Told By A Dealer...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Took mine into be serviced by Renault Ilford (bunch of cowboys, it'll never go back there :D)

Called them up after I'd finished work to let them know I'd be coming down, and to see if the car was ready yet and the guy informed me that they couldn't find the car.

So I made him go out into the car park (and patiently waited for him to come back) but no, he couldn't find it. So obviously at this point I was fuming as apparently my car wasn't on the system, they'd lost it, and they had no idea it had been in for a service... went down there, walked into car park, found my car, called the guy a f**king idiot and demanded money off. He went very red and promised the earth :D

So then I take a look at what work they've done.. and what stuff they've suggested I get fixed.

- Stiff clutch (so obviously they figure that it needs replacing, which it doesn't its pretty much brand new)
- Rear brakes are squeaky
- Window wiper mechanism is noisy (?!)

Took great pleasure in telling the guy in service to stick his clutch kit up his arse :D

ST
Big Iain said:
took the 172 in to the dealer after I noticed the spring on the drivers side was hanging out of its seat on the strut, yes I could have fixed it myself by compressing the spring but why was it like that in the first place? so in it went, well iain what exactly were you doing at the time? I said it was on a ramp whn I noticed it, (having decat put on) he said do u drive it hard though? I said of course I do its what its there for. ALL DUE RESPECT SIR ITS NOT A SPORTS CAR is what he said as I turned around at looked at the 172 in the showroom with a big SPORTS banner al over it. tw*ts.

Love that quote......my fave one of all time from Parks Reno in EK lol

Turbo Beige
After getting out of a 182 on a test drive the salesmans said to me (presumably to clinch the deal) the 182's come with 18's as well!!!

I also got a phone-call from the dealers that i got my Dynamique from and then part-exed for my 182 saying that my car was 3 years old and do i want to go in to see them about changing it!!! They sold the car again on there fourcourt 6months ago!!!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
best thread on here at the moment.

only ever been to reno once for some warranty work so dont have much of a story but ....
called up to ask if my car was ready and was told
"yeah we called you and told you it was, you were supposed to be down to collect a few hours ago"
promptly replied ive been at work and my phone has not rang all day to which the guy seemed puzzled.
then went down and asked for my car (i literaly said "im here for my 182 which was in for some work") .... took them 20 minutes to find my keys and they then gave them to me without asking my name or anything (it was my step dad that took the car down to them so they dont know what i look like).
lol i could have been any tom dick or harry.

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Another 182 Cup owner here who was told that his spare tyre had a healthy 8mm of tread left on it.

I was also told that my worn out fronts were 7mm deep!

Steve

1996 Valver
I ordered some parts recently.......exhaust heat-sheild and engine/gearbox mounts on a Wednesday.....the parts will be here Friday morning he said,
I go there Friday afternoon not there.....come in Saturday afternoon he said, so I did, Parts were closed, Had an argument with a stuck up salesman who wouldn't give me the parts even though they were on the side and I had a receipt.

Monday parts not in......
Wednesday most parts are in but no engine mount..
Friday it arrives and I cause mayhem for waiting so long.........the outcome-Free engine mount @ £80....was well chuffed!!!!!!!

muz

big fat japanese bus
not renault but a toyota one

The missus was getting her Gen 7 Celica serviced and I was lookign at the MR2 in the sales room

Some young guy come ups and starts his crack about the car

Including

"Its one of the fastest cars you can buy in the UK"
I say what 8 secs to 60?
"No sir its not going out of production "
So Top Gear and Evo are lying then?
"Sorry sir we wont discount the car, no one will after all it is a MR2"
So the 15,500 I can get it from on the internet is my imagination?

I pains me that most people know more than the salespeople, what the hell are they training them with?

D

dick

nah wouldnt say most people, just car buffs really i would have thought no more.

if my mum went in, she wouldnt have a clue and would take everything in as gospel

silver valver/hybrid
went into renault garage in coventry somewhere, explained to the guy at the desk that i had clipped my EXHAUST on a security post and the EXHAUST rubber mounts were broken and i needed some new ones. he said hang on, went off for about 10mins came back and said "hmm its gonna be quite expensive if you are changing your engine mounts" "err who said anything about engine mounts?!! i want exhaust mounts" he looked quite red and went and got the exhaust mounts, only £6 too.

PYE21 said:
I also got a phone-call from the dealers that i got my Dynamique from and then part-exed for my 182 saying that my car was 3 years old and do i want to go in to see them about changing it!!! They sold the car again on there fourcourt 6months ago!!!

hehe I've had this about 4 times from Platinum in Bath regarding the Dynamique I got from them. Wasn't ever even 3 years old but they kept asking me about changing it, kept telling them that I have a Cup now but they still phone every few months.

I also had the problem when collecting a new Clio, the date kept slipping and slipping and it got to a point where I didn't hear anything from them for weeks after the initial estimate, I phoned them on the off-chance one morning and it was sat in their bloody show room!

Renault clio 1.8 mk1
ok this is a great idiot customer one. the bloke who cleans the winows at work came in to test dive a shogan pinin auto, so salesman gets the car out for him shows him around it, left the keys in the ignition and told him to go for a drive, walks back in the showroom about 10 mins later (no kidding) bloke comes back in (car still hadn't been anywhere) and say it wont move. sales man was confused and went out to car with him, bloke jumps in to demonstrate, sure enough put it in gear and nothing happend. salesman then pionts out that the car wasn't even started!!!!

to think we share the roads with people this thick:rolleyes:

106 GTi
PYE21 said:
After getting out of a 182 on a test drive the salesmans said to me (presumably to clinch the deal) the 182's come with 18's as well!!!

When I ordered a center cap from mine the parts guy swore blind that 182's had 17's on it, he wouldnt believe so went outside and read 205/45 16 of the tyre sidewall to me! :rolleyes:

330Ci M Sport
FRED2001DYNAMIQUE! exactly the same scenario....

for 2 headlight bulbs.....
"thats £130 please sir"
and whys that exactly?
"£30 for the bulbs sir and £100 for 1 1/2 hours labour"
to change 2 bulbs?
"yes sir we had to remove the front bumper as we thought it was a bigger problem"
and you're trying to charge me for your mistakes why exactly?

clots....

Loony said:
Mine told me that my lowered suspension was causing uneven tyre wear. I then pointed out that they standard wheels had only been put back on the night previous and prior to that had only been on the car when the standard suspension was fitted :rolleyes:

But lowered suspension DOES casue uneven tyre wear(if camber isn't adjusted)....but in your case it was prolly ragging it around all those islands in Swindon

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
when i went to look at a 172 cup in renault cardiff i was told that it was exactley the same as a 172 but without the leather and the climate control. I told him that lt was lacking abs, esp tc, etc...."sorry sir i believe the car has all these features and you are mistaking it for the newer 182 cup" to which i laughed. anyway after he returned from getting a brouchure with all his lovely salesmen tips in, he told me that i was in luck as they were getting a black 172 cup in later that day.......i left.

Last time i went o Renault Coventry i got blocked in my one of the monkeys who works tehre for parking int eh disabled space (i was goign to oick up parts)....one of Fred's mates i believe........think they have two nice tyre marks accross their drive where i dumped the clutch pulling off

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The funniest thing would have to be when I went in to get a new bolt for my airbox as 1 had fallen out randomly! Explained exactly what it was, what engine code etc etc, guy says no problem we have them in stock, goes through the back and comes back with a hub nut for the rear drums!!! WTF?!?!

The other memorable one would have to be the parts manager (Billy) at RENAULT LIVINGSTON telling me to "F*ck off" after he had ordered the wrong part for me and I demanded my money back. Like in Lunners case they had 2 huge black lines, and most likely peeble dashed demo cars. Never been back, never will, complete wanker!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It had been ongoing for a couple of days and tbh I was glad Id finally broken him! I kinda laughed in his face when he said it which seemed to annoy him a bit more! I always intended to write to Reno UK but never got round to it :(

182BG
Went to renault today about a new key, started like this.
Parked right outside the door, the bloke who served me was stood at the door, saw me get out of my CLIO and held the door open for me,
walked up to the counter and i said to him

me - hi, was wondering how much a new key would cost as i have lost the spare for my car
him - ok, let me have a look, is that for a megane?
me - NO, for the clio172cup that you just saw me get out of!!!
him - oh, well as its that car it shouldn't be too expensive as its an off the shelf part and we won't have to order it from france
me - thats good then
him - whats your registration?
me - blah blah blah
him - well let me just work this out (fiddles with his calculator)..... £97
me - £97! for a key!
him - yeh, not too expensive
me - hmmm, how much for just a normal key without the remote?
him - oh we don't do them
me - why not?
him - coz you need to unlock the car by using the central locking
me - no you don't use can just put the key in the key hole on the door
him - what key hole?
me - Grrrr, well i will think about it and let you know tomorrow!

i didn't know whether to shout or to laugh

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lee_cup said:
Went to renault today about a new key, started like this.
Parked right outside the door, the bloke who served me was stood at the door, saw me get out of my CLIO and held the door open for me,
walked up to the counter and i said to him

me - hi, was wondering how much a new key would cost as i have lost the spare for my car
him - ok, let me have a look, is that for a megane?
me - NO, for the clio172cup that you just saw me get out of!!!
him - oh, well as its that car it shouldn't be too expensive as its an off the shelf part and we won't have to order it from france
me - thats good then
him - whats your registration?
me - blah blah blah
him - well let me just work this out (fiddles with his calculator)..... £97
me - £97! for a key!
him - yeh, not too expensive
me - hmmm, how much for just a normal key without the remote?
him - oh we don't do them
me - why not?
him - coz you need to unlock the car by using the central locking
me - no you don't use can just put the key in the key hole on the door
him - what key hole?
me - Grrrr, well i will think about it and let you know tomorrow!

i didn't know whether to shout or to laugh

do you have a key hole? i thought they were on passenger side only? also you need immobaliser chip inside the key, so they do cost a bit...

182BG
never knew they cost that much, i have a key hole on the passengers side that i used to use when my key battery went dead

One with a few more
EvilJohn said:
The other memorable one would have to be the parts manager (Billy) at RENAULT LIVINGSTON telling me to "F*ck off" after he had ordered the wrong part for me and I demanded my money back. Like in Lunners case they had 2 huge black lines, and most likely peeble dashed demo cars. Never been back, never will, complete w*nker!
Unfortunately they have a habit of this. The dealer manager of my local told me to get lost and that I was 'thick as sh1t' and a 'stpuid little girl' when I demanded a refund for parts they had told me that a)I could refund and b) would fit onto my car

Neither of the above were true and because I am heavily involved with trading standards I got them on his case and also made a complaint about him AND wrote in my local paper the situation and warning them. Funnily enough they dont get much people in their car park anymore

I cant say i've ever had any problems with my renault dealer. The salesman i deal with knows exactly what he is talking about with the sports range of cars. He does chat some s**t about the prices though, and has told me that the CUP is much much faster than the normal 172.

Service desk has always been fine too. Called them up a few times for prices, and they know exactly what part im talking about, and give me a decent price.

By the looks of things, im just lucky.

Clio v6
Not quite so funny, just a little too early perhaps.

Go into dealer to drop of the keys on servicing day.

"Good morning Mr Robinson, how can I help you?"

"Just dropping off the car for its service"

"One moment while I find you on the computer"

wait for it...........

"What's the name please?"

:)

What the side-ripping humour?

;-)

/y0z

The Fatty said:
fUbAr did you used to own my car? i bought it off someone with that name....in london...

LOL

fouled up beyond all repair...

Fubar ^

and you purchased a car from someone with that name :rolleyes:

;-)

Cup 172
My favorite was the stand up row I had with the gimp at my local dealership.
Him... "I can assure you sir. The knocking sound is quite normal. Its the limited Slip Diff."
Me... "It doesnt have one"
Him... "We are the experts sir" etc etc etc.

Closely followed by the fix for an oil leak. Picked it up after hours and the job card said..
"Oil leak cleaned up. Seems OK now"
And that was fixed how exactly???

None
I went to one of these Vauxhall dealers when I was younger and was sitting in a Tigra when the assistant come over, wondeing if I liked, wanting to buy it, deposit etc - I was 11!! pmsl