ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny engine noise from my 172 cup

172 cup
Hey guys, bit of advise please. My 172 cup has developed a strange sound when it runs, only way I can describe is it's like a diesel engine sound when the engine is in gear and running on low revs and gentle acceleration. If you accelerate hard the sounds goes because of the deep engine noise. The noise has only come on recently and it was serviced by a renault dealer only 2 months before! I changed the brake pads myself last week but it definetly sounds like engine noise, I also checked the oil and that seems fine. I know it's a bit vague the description but any ideas welcome, as I want it fixed quick! The car is totally renault standard, no mods.

Help! :(

172 cup
That sounds pretty close to the sound, need to check it out. Is it easy to fix and what's the cost if it is?

182 f/f
Dephaser pulley = roughly £130
And then same labour as a timing belt change which u should do at the same time.
Hope that helps
Dave

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Where are you located?

Best off finding one of the guys on here to swap tyhe pully and do you a cambelt kit at the same time.

Fred
Birchdown
NWPerformance

172 cup
I'm in Milton Keynes, The cambelt was changed the service before so it would have done max 20,000 miles so life seems very short! Frustrations of not having enormous amounts of mechanical knowledge... is my problem most likely something that will have to go into a garage for?

172 cup
The engine has only done 64000 miles in total, the miles at 35000 to 50000 miles were drive by an old lady who didn't even know the car was a sport!! That's when the cambelt was changed and I bought it off her about 2 months after it had been serviced. Then the miles up to know have been by me.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Its not part of the cambelt change kit, unfortunately. A lot of dephasers have been failing lately.

172 cup
Ok so can I get away with just changing the dephaser or do I need to replace the cambelt again?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ok so can I get away with just changing the dephaser or do I need to replace the cambelt again?

Cambelt again, deffo

You might want to consider just having the full kit done again, but best for one of the tuners to confirm

172 cup
This sounds like it could get expensive, my last service and MOT came in 2 months ago at £600. Is there no way the renault service should have picked up the pulley going maybe? I know cars are sometimes just expensive lol really appreciate the help though guys thanks :approve:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Unfortunately, they dont seem to give any signs of going, they just "go". can still be driven AFAIK, they just sound like shite.

I am begining to think that the dephaser issue is derectly related to having a new belt fitted. Must be the new tension on it or sometthing.

However, you probably looking at losing another £500 for this.

Pully
Cambelt kit
Labour

172 cup
Excellent news I can still drive it, not so good on the cost! Been driving it with real care up till now and need my car so was a bit nervous! I'm taking it to a independent clio centre this afternoon i'll let you know what they say. Frustrating is the word... love everything about the car and defo not letting it go anytime soon.

Evo 8 MR
Just replace the dephaser and re-tension the belt ffs.

It's a matter of opinion that you should never re-tension one.

Clio F1 197 (Black)
mate i have the same problem - recently had new cam and aux belt etc then started to notice this sound shortly after - have you sorted the prob???

Clio sport 172 cup
ive just had a cambelt and aux belt change an got it back this morning and it has a funny noise coming from the cambelt area its going back to renault on monday morning

Mondeo TDCI 130
Definately fit a new belt, for the cost of it, the tensioners will be fine after 20K imo! So cambelt, dephaser pulley and aux belt. Around £300 ish fred top of my head? maybe a tad over!