ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FWD stats comparison

"Remarkably the formulas have been set-up for just 3 items of easy available data: BHP, Weight (KG) and drive type. We also list a through 60-100mph time, a true indication of a cars acceleration once moving. We do not take into fact the torque, gear ratios or aerodynamics because this data is not easily available."

Ergo it will be remarkably inaccurate. CarData is about the most accurate software there is - but its easily screwed as there are so many parameters. If you guess any of them it can wildly over or undersestimate the car. ...but you need to know things like frontal surfac area etc.

GTiR 394bhp

Its pretty accurate actually.I know the guy and he has compared many actual times(tested it on GTiROC&Scoobynet) to his theoretical ones and they are very very close.

Actually Im not convinced. "pretty accurate" to +/- 0.5 seconds maybe. And unless you like to play pub top trumps whats the point. The driver, conditions and the level of mechanical sympathy will make much more of a difference in the real world (whic lets face it is where we live).

The fact it goes to 00ths of a sec is my point- it implies that level of accuracy - which it cannot hope to claim to.

At least in its favour it uses the same input data consistently so all things are compared equally, but to ignore something as critical as gearing is ridiculous if it wants to be accurate.

Pub blagging rights maybe, but nothing else.

GTiR 394bhp

Quote: Originally posted by Jason C on 03 September 2004

Actually Im not convinced. "pretty accurate" to +/- 0.5 seconds maybe. And unless you like to play pub top trumps whats the point. The driver, conditions and the level of mechanical sympathy will make much more of a difference in the real world (whic lets face it is where we live).

The fact it goes to 00ths of a sec is my point- it implies that level of accuracy - which it cannot hope to claim to.

At least in its favour it uses the same input data consistently so all things are compared equally, but to ignore something as critical as gearing is ridiculous if it wants to be accurate.

Pub blagging rights maybe, but nothing else.

Pretty accurate is all youre going to get and he wouldnt claim they were 100%.Funny you mention +/- 0.5 secs because thats what he applies with regards to mechanical sympathy.1/4 miles arent the real world hence 2 lots of times for the same car.

It goes to "00ths" because thats what it comes out as with the formula.

Gearing is ignored becasue it would be neigh on impossible to get all the grear ratios for every car on the list.Like I said,its a guide not the definitive word on 1/4 miling and was done for fun-most people take it as that and dont pick holes.

Ive compared my times against that and theyve been very close as have many others.
The sites still in its infancy-let him know of any inaccuracies such as the Clio weight.

[Edited by skiddusmarkus on 03 September 2004 at 2:37pm]

very cool list and a lot of hard work. well done.

BTW i agree that a car can vary down to the driver and a car that could get 5.8 to 60 in the ULTIMATE conditions i.e. low fuel, light driver, no spare wheel, exellent traction, good tyres, perfect revs+clutch start, no head wind.. list goes on.. can probably only get 6.3 on a very Fast start.

so driver input is important.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 03 September 2004

That 147 GTa and Volvo V70R are pretty dam quick to!

Oh dear me! and the Cup is quicker than the 182;)

the v70 R is 4wd?

the volvo s80 is the quickest to 100, and 1/4 mile, the s60 t5 is very close behind it

dave

[Edited by dave20vt on 08 September 2004 at 10:09pm]